Coral Vue Hydros

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

I was never super excited about the 28-300mm. I bought it originally many moons ago for either the Elan 3e or the 7e. It was great with the film camera... but it never popped with the digital. But I haven't tried it with this camera.

I try to use my 50mm like an all purpose lens... but everyone's rooms are too small for me to use it sensibly :happy:

I'm guessing that the 5d2 will probably out-resolve your 28-300 and you'll end up with soft images. That's the problem with your situation... IMO, your glass doesn't really match the level of your camera. High-end lenses matter a whole lot more than a high-end body, so I'd suggest starting to save for a quality lens walkaround lens for your body.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
I'm guessing that the 5d2 will probably out-resolve your 28-300 and you'll end up with soft images. That's the problem with your situation... IMO, your glass doesn't really match the level of your camera. High-end lenses matter a whole lot more than a high-end body, so I'd suggest starting to save for a quality lens walkaround lens for your body.

+1 agreed. If you get the kit, that comes with the 24-105 L, thats a great start and smart one.

TriggerHappyDude
I already have the body.

DOH! Ok...sorry I didn't realize that. Well, I bought the body first and then added the 24-70mm and love the shots I'm getting, the Ls really put the quality where the $$$ is.

seahorsedreams

Has anyone gotten any decent videos from this thing?

I can split any scenes because it shuts down the Windows Movie Maker. I downloaded Pinnacle VideoSpin and it doesn't recognize the files on the disk.

TriggerHappyDude

I can split any scenes because it shuts down the Windows Movie Maker. I downloaded Pinnacle VideoSpin and it doesn't recognize the files on the disk.

I'm not sure Windows Movie Maker is the right tool for this cameras files.

I haven't started trying to work with any video yet on my slow old PC.

A software package I've read about many times that converts to file to something more useable is called Cineform NeoSCENE...its fairly cheap to get the video file into a good format to use on the PC.

There are lots of places you can go to find out and ask questions from those people using the 5D Mark II for video...

Here are lots of great examples of video done on the 5DMKII...

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Canon%205D%20Mark%20II

Here is a forum on Cinema 5D with PC Editing in mind...

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=29...a4ad912b70466d5

Other resources with Canon 5D Mark II specific threads...

http://www.dvinfo.net/

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/

But again, I think the NeoScene is the one you want...

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/CineForm+Neo...3435F454E4.aspx

Do you have a new compact HD camcorder that records to a hard drive or media cards using AVCHD? The image quality from these camcorders are superb – full 1920 x 1080 HD resolution. The problem is that editing these files is a bear. While many applications claim they can edit AVCHD, it's a choppy, sluggish workflow. That's why you need the new Neo Scene plug-in from CineForm. It allows you to edit HDV and more importantly AVCHD much more efficiently, without the need for a super fast

Neo Scene converts HDV, AVCHD, and Canon 5K Mk II sources into professional-quality CineForm files for higher visual quality while editing your video/film projects in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 for PC, Sony Vegas Pro 8, Apple Final Cut Pro, or iMovie. Now you can capture and edit your high-definition fotage from your new camcorder in Adobe Premiere Pro and even export to Blu-ray Disc or DVD with Encore CS4. Neo Scene also extracts progressive frames from your footage to allow 24p or 25p editing, regardless of whether your footage was shot in progressive or interlace mode.

Hollywood producers rely on CineForm file formats for their editing and archive workflows because CineForm offers:

•the highest visual fidelity achievable, and

•the fastest real-time editing performance

You see, camera formats are designed for recording, not editing. With Neo Scene you will convert your difficult-to-edit HDV, AVCHD, or Canon 5D Mk II camera footage to CineForm AVI or MOV files and then benefit from the same theatrical quality format and real-time editing performance as professionals.

The Coveted 24p Cinema Look

Feature films are shot and edited at 24 progressive frames per second (North America) or 25 (Europe / Japan) yielding the coveted "cinema look" you see in theaters. CineForm’s Neo Scene uniquely extracts 24p / 25p progressive frames from all your HDV or AVCHD material for editing in your favorite NLE. Your masterpiece will look like it is ready for the big screen - in fact, it is....

NEOScenePicsOnWhite.png

• 2 months later...
seahorsedreams

I can't get a tank video to save my life. Think it's in focus and then you watch it... yikes. I'm buying a "real" camcorder.

TriggerHappyDude
I can't get a tank video to save my life. Think it's in focus and then you watch it... yikes. I'm buying a "real" camcorder.

Ha, if you think the 5D Mark II video sucks, you are mistaken.

There is plenty of evidence out there of how extremely awesome the video is.

There is something you are not doing that is probably causing you problems.

This could be your problem...

Post your settings renee. I might be able to help

seahorsedreams

Okay, it's me. But I want to hit record and catch a video. Regular camcorders will do that for me. But I didn't buy this camera for it's video features.

My problem is everything looks in focus in the viewfinder and then you go back and watch it on the PC and it's not even close.

TriggerHappyDude
Okay, it's me. But I want to hit record and catch a video. Regular camcorders will do that for me. But I didn't buy this camera for it's video features.

My problem is everything looks in focus in the viewfinder and then you go back and watch it on the PC and it's not even close.

Humm, very odd, what about the LCD Live View are you using that during video mode? Not the real view finder right?

What lens and whats the aperture set to? You need to stop the lens down to gain greater depth of field. This would help to get most of the tank in focus.However there is a trick to do this since the 5D doesnt currently allow manual aperture control. Do a quick google search

What lens and whats the aperture set to? You need to stop the lens down to gain greater depth of field. This would help to get most of the tank in focus.However there is a trick to do this since the 5D doesnt currently allow manual aperture control. Do a quick google search

yes it does..they released the firmware a while ago that gives you full manual control in video.

yes it does..they released the firmware a while ago that gives you full manual control in video.

oh my fault. Thanks 05x. Well in that case stop the lens down to F5.6 or F.8 for greater DOF and it will be alot easier to get your fish in focus.

seahorsedreams

I get better results with my old Hi 8 camcorder!

Yuck this is bad. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about videos. But I figured a camcorder in a camera couldn't be that complicated. O.O

th_frommychair.jpg

Archived