Cultivated Reef

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

only problem its 720p as opposed to the 5D's 1080p

I wanted to correct this statement. the new canon T1 actually supports 720p as well as 1080p.

Rehype,

Where did you buy yours at...I forgot if you've already said so.

I guess you had lenses to cover the 24-105mm f/4, so you didn't go with the kit.

I bought it from B&H. well the 70-105 range isnt much to lose. im going to pick up a canon 70-200 to cover the longer range. It was toss up between the 24-105 and the 24-70. But in the end i prefer to have the extra stop as opposed to IS. And theres something special about the IQ i get from the 24-70. Its probably in my head but i love the IQ i get from this lens.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

Ok, thats what I remember you telling me somewhere else, couldn't find it. We are on the same exact page, I'm just a little behind you...how are you liking/loving the camera so far?

Ok, thats what I remember you telling me somewhere else, couldn't find it. We are on the same exact page, I'm just a little behind you...how are you liking/loving the camera so far?

I love it.The IQ never ceases to amaze me.Ive been really impressed with the IQ at higher iso's. I dont hesistate anymore to shoot at 1600 or even 3200. The real treat for me so far has been how good the video quality is. I mean the low light capabilities of this body just amazes me. I had a consumer hd cam for a bit and while the VQ was fantastic it suffered quite a bit in low light. And thats because of how small the sensor is in most consumer hd cams. However the FF sensor on the 5D2 is just amazing at sucking in light without sacrificing IQ. I will say you need to have a really good pc or mac if you want to render or edit any of the videos from the 5D. I just upgraded my pc to 10GB of Ram and (2)3.6 GZ Xeon Processors with a terabyte of HD space to speed up the process of editing photos and video.

Oh and what about your D300 and the 14bit files..If you want to shoot at its full 6fps you can only shoot in 12bit color..But if you move it up to 14bit color that drops down to what 1.5fps burst. Yea thats useful...why even give the camera 14bit if it cannot use it at all times full speed?

I wanted to correct this statement. the new canon T1 actually supports 720p as well as 1080p.

But it slows down to 20 fps at 1080p, I don't know why any camera maker would include a feature if you can't use it at full speed...

But it slows down to 20 fps at 1080p, I don't know why any camera maker would include a feature if you can't use it at full speed...

Very true wfournier. I totally agree but the average soccer mom wont notice the difference.All they will see is wow 1080p instead of 720p!! canon is just trying to one up the D90 and i think they totally succeeded.

Very true wfournier. I totally agree but the average soccer mom wont notice the difference.All they will see is wow 1080p instead of 720p!! canon is just trying to one up the D90 and i think they totally succeeded.

My point was not to criticize the 500D, but to make a point concerning some people's statements...

Really just trying to point out why arguing over this little things is pointless, and yes I believe that joe shmoe wannabe gear-head is going to see 1080p and say "wow that is better than 720p." Which it is, but it is marketing based on specs, and everyone does it.

HMMMMM alot like Nikon with the D300 only shooting 1.5fps with 14bit color and 6fps with the 12bit. Why even offer 14bit

HMMMMM alot like Nikon with the D300 only shooting 1.5fps with 14bit color and 6fps with the 12bit. Why even offer 14bit

You will notice that I quoted you saying just that...

You will notice that I quoted you saying just that...

a rebel is an entry level camera so its mostly beginners starting with them so if its crippled a little bit who cares..most wont use it fully...But if you cripple a more of a prosumer higher end body..thats just a dumb move.

To give you the option if the situation allows it? If I'm shooting portraits, I'm not going hold the shutter release down and fire off 10 pictures in a row of a subject that probably inst moving all that fast.

TriggerHappyDude

I'll be buying my 5D Mark II in the next week or two...hopefully SOONER. Still waiting to hear back from my wifes uncle who's got that guy he works for who can get it at cost...anyone know why I'm waiting on that, is there a big price difference in "cost" and what I can get it for online?

yeah - the one your buddy's dad's brother's uncle is getting is grey market or stolen and the one online is legit

bingo!

TriggerHappyDude
yeah - the one your buddy's dad's brother's uncle is getting is grey market or stolen and the one online is legit

Its actually my wife's uncle's boss who owns a photography company. Not gray market.

Its legit, if he gets a discount, he said it would be cost. Thats all.

brooksthepro

5d mark I owner here.

not sure whats going on in this thread because i cant be bothered to read it all. But iv used the mark II and seen the video results and they are pretty damn good. I wouldnt substitute it for a normal HD camera if thats your thing. But its a really nice feature.

Also, if you plan on keeping the lenes u have for ur rebel, u better make sure the lenses u have arent the crop censor only lenses (EF-S) otherwise ur SOL.

brooksthepro
Its actually my wife's uncle's boss who owns a photography company. Not gray market.

Its legit, if he gets a discount, he said it would be cost. Thats all.

if your hoping for a BIG discount, i wouldn't get too excited.

Alot of my good friends work at camera stores and they get me all of my merch at cost.....on camera's and lenses u don't get very much of a discount, the camera stores barely make a profit on cameras and lenses. They just sell them to get you in the store and to get you to buy camera accessories, thats where they make most of there money.

just my .02c

TriggerHappyDude
if your hoping for a BIG discount, i wouldn't get too excited.

Alot of my good friends work at camera stores and they get me all of my merch at cost.....on camera's and lenses u don't get very much of a discount, the camera stores barely make a profit on cameras and lenses. They just sell them to get you in the store and to get you to buy camera accessories, thats where they make most of there money.

just my .02c

Thats what I'm curious to see, what the discount actually is. Even if its a $100 or less, thats still not bad, unless with tax it comes out to be more than an online order? I just want to know the figure before I pull the trigger...

Thats what I'm curious to see, what the discount actually is. Even if its a $100 or less, thats still not bad, unless with tax it comes out to be more than an online order? I just want to know the figure before I pull the trigger...

there is also a benefit to paying full price from an authorized canon retailer. in the event that you need it serviced / have a warranty issue, you won't encounter any problems. buy it off the gray market and you run the risk of having to ship the camera halfway around the world to get it serviced, or even worse - can't get it serviced at all.

TriggerHappyDude
there is also a benefit to paying full price from an authorized canon retailer. in the event that you need it serviced / have a warranty issue, you won't encounter any problems. buy it off the gray market and you run the risk of having to ship the camera halfway around the world to get it serviced, or even worse - can't get it serviced at all.

What are you guys not understanding? Its NOT gray market, he runs a professional photography company, he's not buying gray market equipment for his business for these very reason's you stated. I don't know who he gets his equipment from, because I haven't talked to him, but its not gray market, I promise. I don't know if he gets it retail or not, or if its straight from Canon or what. I'll know more when he gives me this quote.

I heard that 65% of family owned camera shops in the US get their Canon products from Somali pirated cargo ships

I don't why it only applies to Canon products though...I think its because NIkon products head east, across the pacific, while Canon products go west via the indian ocean because its faster to get to New Jersey that way

I heard that 65% of family owned camera shops in the US get their Canon products from Somali pirated cargo ships

I don't why it only applies to Canon products though...I think its because NIkon products head east, across the pacific, while Canon products go west via the indian ocean because its faster to get to New Jersey that way

:haha:

TriggerHappyDude
Pretty cool...too bad i prefer monopods

Well if you already have a tripod, you can do this and its free.

Do you have some footage of you doing these kinds of techniques with the monopod?

Archived