Top Shelf Aquatics

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

masterbuilder
as my LFS's don't seem to "get" the concept of "NANO"! ;)

IMO...its not worth the grief from places like that when SFO has many LFS's that GET nano reefing.

I wish I had the quality stores you had in your backyard.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO...its not worth the grief from places like that when SFO has many LFS's that GET nano reefing.

I wish I had the quality stores you had in your backyard.

Well, if they do understand, they may be playing a bit dumb to upsell. :angry:

However, the one out on Ocean Boulevard has proven to be the most understanding, if not helpful.

The highest rated store in the city, Lucky Ocean on Balboa Street, is almost TOO knowledgeable! But they are extremely helpful and encouraging, though you can see them rack their brains in downsizing to my reqs. hee hee...

There is a SPECTACULAR lfs on Duboce Street!! However, a store that actually stocks a manta rays is obviously aiming at a different demographic. ;)

I have yet to expand to the East Bay LFSes...

My LFS recommended a nano to me,I already knew I wanted one and I had one 6 months ago(I sold it and moved). Funny on how some people chop nanos down to nothing,while other LFS people say they are great

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on how the skimmer is working for you. Especially interested in any biocube 29 users, as I am considering one when I transfer my BC14 to a 29 shortly.

Jerome

Skimmer works well in my bc29. I have it in the first chamber right now, a very tight fit. Am thinking about moving it to the middle chamber.

Every new skimmer I have ever used has produced microbubbles for the first couple of weeks. It's just par for the course.

Even top end skimmers like bubble kings can have this issue at first. Generally it clears up over time as the skimmer breaks in and the manufacturing oils on the body break down.

Soaking the skimmer in a bath of vinegar overnight can help accellerate the breaking in process.

• 4 weeks later...
brooksthepro

updated pic of the skimmate after an added bioload of 1 red mandarin and cleanup crew

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived Friday the 24th and just set it up last evening in the middle chamber of the BC29, think i am going to try and move it to chamber 1. Its basically making water right now, I did not have time to fine tune it last evening.

Can anyone who has tuned theirs comment on the height theirs is mounted, you could reference the water level in relation to the top of the body. I think mine is too low right now. Also are you running the flow control more open or closed?

Its hard and a bit frustrating to adjust in the BC because I cant really see what is going on except in the flute of the collection cup.

Jerome

Jerome I have found that putting it in the first chamber of the BC29 severely restricts the surface skimming of the water as the body of the skimmer is against the top vent holes. Have just this past week put mine into the middle chamber. Now wondering how to get the water level adjusted so the skimmer functions correctly. The water has to be almost to the top of the body but not high enough that water enters the air tube which is flush with the top of the body. Probably going to have to use the supplied suction cups and the bottom grate in the middle chamber to make this work.

thanks for the tip. I have it in the middle close to third chamber side. I modified the bracket to hold a magnet so I can easily adjust it up and down. Its been about 48 hours and it looks like its making better skimmate but part of it has been my adjustments. The micro bubbles are still bad...

Great idea with the magnet, can you picture this for me so that I can see how you did it please? Mine is broken in quite nicely and producing a dark brown, albeit watery, skimmate. I empty the cup once per week when it is about 3/4 full.

I will try to take a photo during my next round of shots but until then what I did was remove part of the bracket then glued the magnet down.

Okay, you know the piece that holds the thing together and also has the spot to slip the hanging bracket into it, I used a dremel to cut the top or front just off of the spot where the hanging bracket would go leaving me with the thing to hold it together with two pieces of plastic sticking off of it about an inch and a half apart i put the magnet in-between them and removed all the suction cups.

Jerome

PS: I wish there were some sort of paint box option in the bar above because a simple line drawing would illustrate this easily.

PS: I wish there were some sort of paint box option in the bar above because a simple line drawing would illustrate this easily.

Hee Hee, me too!!!!

The skimmer has been on for more than a week now and I am still adjusting it. I was getting too wet a skimmate and I could not adjust it with the knob enough so I moved it up in the water some and this has helped, I think is around 1/4 inch from the body top to the water surface. Still getting obscene micro bubbles, i hope they reduce as it breaks in more.

In the interim any ideas on how to coral them? I have the skimmer oriented so the bracket is against the back of the bc29 glass wall. The intake and outlet are facing the false wall. Any ideas are appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

i got mine less than a week ago, omg this stuff pulls so much crap....like all the reviews say the micro bubbles are killing me. I have this in my 7 gallon tank,any idea/mods on how to reduce them?

brooksthepro

mine reduced quite a bit after a few weeks so it doesnt bother me much...my tank is 29g though. if it were me and it really bothered me, i would rig an attachment up the the water's exit on the skimmer and direct it somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

i know this is an older thread, but i am in the process of buying stuff to setup my first saltwater tank. figure i will do it right and get all the supplies first then live stuff.

i have a question about this skimmer. please bare with me i am new to this :D

would this skimmer work on a 24 gallon aquapod?

which chamber should i place it in?

thanks a bunch!

belle

Not positive if it will work with that tank as I don't have one, however I do have a BC29 and it fits in the middle with lots of space to spare. In the previous 8 pages I think people may have commented on its fit in that tank.

As for the micro bubbles they were driving me crazy too, however they have reduced over time. I think partly due to break in and partly to how I adjusted the skimmer. I noticed that now I have the skimmer adjusted so that the output (the little grate by where you turn the knob) or at least part of it is above the water surface, I think this is helping because all the bubbles are not forced under the water surface now. I am not sure if my description makes sense, so let me know. Its sort of hard to adjust and see when its set up in the rear chamber.

Jerome

Archived