Pod Your Reef

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

My update is I am still using it in my BC29 middle chamber. Per another members suggestions I disregarded the included directions to run it set deep in the water and raised it up, the tank water level falls just below the bottom of the exit grate where that knob is. Having it in this range and adjusting the knob has yielded what I would consider a quality skimmate which only requires emptying of the cup about once a week. I also put a piece of filter floss up against that water exit grate to help catch/break up micro bubbles this has helped with that issue some.

Jerome

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these for my BC29G, how far does it stick out of the back chamber? I'm not using the stock hood so its not a huge deal, but I wanna get an idea of what I need for space as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will this fit into the first chamber of the BC 29? My second fuge is full of chaeto and i'd rather not cut that space in half. Also I have the stock hood on, would the skimmer be too tall to fit in there?

you are one of the few to say that it sucks... is it better than the biocube skimmer? i can get it for $40 shipped and i think that anything will be better than my current one.

please elaborate.. did it skim? was it noisy? did it burst into flames and melt your tank???

you are one of the few to say that it sucks... is it better than the biocube skimmer? i can get it for $40 shipped and i think that anything will be better than my current one.

please elaborate.. did it skim? was it noisy? did it burst into flames and melt your tank???

I think he got it confused with the one I sold him I made out of pop bottles, a balloon and a piece of driftwood. Mine seems to work just fine, and certainly well made.

I just ordered this skimmer this week, should be here soon. I want to put it in the 2nd chamber of my Nano Cube 24 gallon. Does anyone have pics of what I have to cut/trim to get it to fit?

YouKnowBlev

$47ish cheapest anyone is finding these for?

I'll pay $30 shipped for a used one granted it comes with everything and is in perfect (used) working order.

the intake is very loud. a slurping sound. water flows though it very slowly less then what its rated for.

it skims pretty wet. and will catch on fire if your not careful.

not very well though out if u ask me.

Per my previous posts. I have had a good experience with the skimmer per my previous posts in this thread. I did have a issue with loud air intake but it turns out that it was caused by an obstruction in the intake or air mixing area. Once I took it apart and rinsed problem was solved. I also have had better skimming results by setting the skimmer higher in the water, not low like shown in the directions.

Jerome

the intake is very loud. a slurping sound. water flows though it very slowly less then what its rated for.

it skims pretty wet. and will catch on fire if your not careful.

not very well though out if u ask me.

Are we really talking about the same skimmer? Has yours caught on fire? How could it considering it's submerged? Mine started out skimming wet (even though I set my beckett skimmer to wet too) but I just adjusted it and it makes stuff of the same consistency as my Euroreef.

YouKnowBlev
Are we really talking about the same skimmer? Has yours caught on fire? How could it considering it's submerged? Mine started out skimming wet (even though I set my beckett skimmer to wet too) but I just adjusted it and it makes stuff of the same consistency as my Euroreef.

Yeah, I'd go ahead and put him on the "grain of salt" list.

That or he doesn't know how to work a skimmer? <-Question Mark

I just plopped one of these mini skimmers in my AC110 (w/ surface skimmer) on my 10g this past Friday evening. So far it's pulled out some wet skimmate mainly after I had done some target feeding. It reacted very fast to whatever it pulled out. So +1 there. I placed a small piece of foam filter material (the AC foam block) just on top/slightly inside of the air intake. Slurping gone and the skimmer is very quiet. Can't hear it over my MP10 and the air volume through the intake doesn't seem to have been affected. The micro bubbles are an issue at this point.

Can't wait to see some results after the break-in period.

Can you show a picture of the foam inside the intake. I really don't like, can live with but don't like, the slurping and would like to see what you did.

All I did was use a small piece of the AC foam block (larger than the diameter of the intake), rolled it between my fingers, and slid it about half way into the air intake opening. That's it. Nothing special.

I can try and get a pic later, if needed.

aqlms.jpg

See I am confused. The red arrow above points to what I believe is the air intake, the small airline hose that connects to the top of the skimmer and to the pump. Is this where you put the foam?

Just thought I'd share that I got it to fit in my nc12. Had to cut the trim a little, and lower the water level in the back. It took a little wrestling to get it in there, but worth the effort.

Avid Nano-Reefer
It's to wide for a 70 both ways, I don't have a 110 to test fit it to.

It's not too wide for a AC70. I'm running one in my AC70 right now. However, it is a tight fit!

nano_keeper30
I'm thinking about grabbing one of these for my BC29G, how far does it stick out of the back chamber? I'm not using the stock hood so its not a huge deal, but I wanna get an idea of what I need for space as well.

i have this skimmer in the first chamber if my BC29 and it fits fine as long as you are not using the hood as I think the cup would be to tall. You also have to take the seperating grate and the back rail that the stock filter cartridge went into. Skim is a bit wet, but gets better with adjustment. Bubbles right to the bottom of the cup cone works good for me with nice thick skim.

Just thought I'd share that I got it to fit in my nc12. Had to cut the trim a little, and lower the water level in the back. It took a little wrestling to get it in there, but worth the effort.

Hey mxpro I am interested in this for my NC12 DX wondering if you can post some pictures please?

Thanks!

-John

aqlms.jpg

See I am confused. The red arrow above points to what I believe is the air intake, the small airline hose that connects to the top of the skimmer and to the pump. Is this where you put the foam?

Yes, place a small piece of foam partially in that hole. Make sure it's large enough so that it doesn't get sucked through also.

JayEeeTeeEss
...I also have had better skimming results by setting the skimmer higher in the water, not low like shown in the directions.

Jerome

When you say that it should be higher in the water. What would a reference be on the skimmer in relationship to the water level?

Anybody else having issues getting this to skim. I have had it running for 3 days and it's just filling up with clear water. Am I being to impatient. BC29 Middle Chamber.

skimmer002.jpg

skimmer001.jpg

I had to cut one side off of the collection cup and glue in a piece because the cup was too close to the divider wall and wouldn't snap on.

jeffncherie

I had one on my tank it does really well. its really sensitive to water level changes. it pulled darker skim than my 9002 but it was alot less skim. I was thinking to mod it to be able to adjust air intake. all u would have to do is replace the air intake tube with a longer airline tubing, pull off the black plastic on the case pull the airline through the body and put an adjustable airline valve in. it would make the bubbles smaller and get even darker skim. it'll probly make more micro bubbles, but the skimmer would work better. i was gonna do it but i bought a 9002 instead. it works just as good as the 9002. hmmmmm? i might just try it and compare the two. any one down to see a comparison? modded 115 vs. 9002?

Archived