ReefCleaners.org

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

ive had mine for about 3 weeks now? it spewed micro bubbles like nothing before (although it doesnt bother me because its run in sump, not too much now) love this thing, it was a bit hard to adjust but once the skimmer breaks in, its set and forget. pulls out a lot of dark skimmate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update and Question...

The skimmer has been working well and I have it adjusted nicely so its pulling nice skimmate, I only empty the cup about once a week. I use a baster to empty it so I dont need to disturb the skimmer. The micro bubbles are still here but not as bad, a bit annoying but what can you do?

In the last two days it has tarted sputtering a lot more then it was before, loud enough to be annoying. It started after a few times when I turned the return pump off, when the return is off the water level rises in the rear chamber over the air intake level, the skimmer was off but I think maybe this caused it? Should I take it apart and clean it? Will it have a new 'break in' after cleaning What could be causing it?

Jerome

• 3 weeks later...

I think it could, I am using it on my BC29 which is of similar volume as your set up. Fortunately you can run it in the sump and will be able to screen out all of the micro bubbles, that is really my only gripe about it. They have reduced over time but I still get enough that they annoy me.

Having said that, earlier in the thread some people debated if this would have enough capacity for a tank in the 30 gallon range. I am not a skimmer expert so I cant comment, I can say that its making a nice foam and must be pulling stuff from the water, would a bigger or different one work better in your sump, maybe?

Jerome

You could but I would advise against it because of the micro bubbles unless you figure out a way to retrofit a bubble trap onto it.

Jerome

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone made a nice bubble trap for this skimmer. The bubbles are killing me. I am interested in what you put together a photo or description would be nice. I need to figure something out, do the bubbles only come out of that little grate by the knob?

Also its been making noise the last few days, a stuttering sucking so I guess its time to clean it again?

The skimmate it makes is nice though when all is in order.

Jerome

I have not seen that tank for myself but I doubt it since it just fits in the bc29 back compartment. How much space is between the false wall and the back glass, let me know and I will measure my tank to compare.

Jerome

Still looking for replies to my query above...

I've owned this skimmer for a few months now and I've gotta say this was the most useless piece of junk I've ever spent $ on for my tank. Stick with water changes, you'll get better results.

I am happy with the product it makes but not with the bubbles or occasional noise issues. I don think it will fit in the HOB because it needs to sit pretty deep in the water.

thelowdowndime

i am running mine in an ac70, fuge modded and it fits just fine, i dont know what these guys are talking about. it works great, i find it works best if you leave the inlet only in inch or so under the surface of the water, otherwise it skims to wet. if youd like, ill get pics to show what i mean.

thelowdowndime

btw, once it sits that high out of the water, the water flow can be turned down with the flow restrictor and the skimmer wont go nuts with bubbles like it does when its deep in the water. slower flow thru the skimmer seems to greatly reduce, if not eliminate micro bubbles for me.

thelowdowndime

heres the pics of the skimmer, emptied this afternoon so not too much in there, but from the little bit in there, you can tell its nice and dark. let me know if theres any other shot of it that you want.

P1030689.jpg

P1030690.jpg

P1030691.jpg

from the pics i can se some micro bubbles, but theres apparently few enough that they dont make it to the tank, probably get caught in chaeto or they go away in the return trip to the tank. but i promis you none of them make it to my tank

wow thats pretty crazy, and high. I never thought to try it that high out of the water. I dont think I can get it that high with the closed hood but I could move it up some, probably enough to get the whole exit grate out of the water. I am going to take it apart this afternoon to clean it to stop the whistling air intake and then I will replace as high as possible and see if I can tune it in.

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos!

Jerome

thelowdowndime

btw, i found when mine was deep in the water that if you fin a way to a get some filter floss presses against the body of the skimmer where the stream of water meats the tank water, that the filter floss will catch bubbles pretty well

• 1 month later...

My update is I am still using it in my BC29 middle chamber. Per another members suggestions I disregarded the included directions to run it set deep in the water and raised it up, the tank water level falls just below the bottom of the exit grate where that knob is. Having it in this range and adjusting the knob has yielded what I would consider a quality skimmate which only requires emptying of the cup about once a week. I also put a piece of filter floss up against that water exit grate to help catch/break up micro bubbles this has helped with that issue some.

Jerome

• 3 weeks later...

any updates on how this skimmer is working for all of you that have them!

was thinking about getting one and putting it in my AC70 :)

Archived