Innovative Marine Aquariums

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

The Propagator
You have to admit though Prop, thats pretty decent skimmate for a cheap skimmer.

Like I said I am not knocking the skimmer or any one who uses it.

I'm still holding out for the long term ( IE longer then 2-3 weeks in ) report before I hop on the band wagon. But my honest opinion is just like with engines... When it comes to real power... there is no replacement for displacement. ;)

These would and do work awesome on small tanks by the reports so far but on a 24g tank I am really really skeptical. Over a 15g tank I think is beyond this things capability due to its size alone.

Remember the Current nano ? :lol: 29g my azz !

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you realize how miniscule that really is.

That's sort of like like saying.. "well I peed directly in to the wind during 25 mph wind instead of 30mph and only my chest got wet instead of my face this time"

;)

ahahahhhaha

brooksthepro
Like I said I am not knocking the skimmer or any one who uses it.

I'm still holding out for the long term ( IE longer then 2-3 weeks in ) report before I hop on the band wagon. But my honest opinion is just like with engines... When it comes to real power... there is no replacement for displacement. ;)

These would and do work awesome on small tanks by the reports so far but on a 24g tank I am really really skeptical. Over a 15g tank I think is beyond this things capability due to its size alone.

Remember the Current nano ? :lol: 29g my azz !

Not trying to argue here so don't take it that way. But, any other reasons why u don't see it working well on anything larger then 15g? Mines a 29g, has been running since March 24th (4 weeks), and as u can see by the pictures, it seems to be working quite well as far as i can tell? I'm new to all this so please shed some light on the issues you for see. I want my first tank to be as successful as possible.

Not trying to argue here so don't take it that way. But, any other reasons why u don't see it working well on anything larger then 15g? Mines a 29g, has been running since March 24th (4 weeks), and as u can see by the pictures, it seems to be working quite well as far as i can tell? I'm new to all this so please shed some light on the issues you for see. I want my first tank to be as successful as possible.

Some suggestions on how to judge whether a skimmer is doing the job for your tank and bio load based on 18 years of experience:

1. Your water should always be crystal clear

2. Your nitrates should stay very low 2-6 ppm over a long period

3. There should not be any nuisance algae growing (assumes you have no phophates)

4. The amount of skim mate removed should decrease over time until an equilibrium is reached (assumes bio load stays the same)

If all of the above exists, your skimmer is doing the job.

There is no other way to judge skimmer performance to my knowledge...if so I like to hear about it.

disaster999

i think what prop is trying to say is although it is able to produce good skimmate, it will not be very efficient on a larger tank. it will not remote nutrients out of the water fast enough for the tank to produce it.

been running mine for 2 weeks now,its working ok, i did add a longer air intake tube so i did not have to worry about water flowing into the line and relocated the location of it ,the only problem i have with mine is everytime i take the top cover off the cup it seems to pull the entire cup off,i just wish that walls the cup sits on were a little taller to make it more stable,..

I hope you realize how miniscule that really is.

That's sort of like like saying.. "well I peed directly in to the wind during 25 mph wind instead of 30mph and only my chest got wet instead of my face this time"

;)

You too?!?!? We measure it in km/h here though :lol:

The Propagator
i think what prop is trying to say is although it is able to produce good skimmate, it will not be very efficient on a larger tank. it will not remote nutrients out of the water fast enough for the tank to produce it.

You got it.

Hence the " there is no replacement for displacement" analogy.

If its working for you with no problems then thats excellent !

I hope it continues to. :)

You too?!?!? We measure it in km/h here though :lol:

:haha:

Silly Canadians, that's not a mint that's a urinal cake.

BOOO YAAA !!!! :P

DogfoodEnforcer

right now im looking for a new skimmer.

i have a tunze 9002, but im honestly not a huge fan of it. sometimes it pulls great skimmate, other times i wait days for any at all to come out. the worst part is that i cannot get it to fit in my tank's rear chambers, so it it attached at the front of my tank, blocking half my view :( . i also just recently re-setup my sapphire aquatics fuge and skimmer...that friggin skimmer is so loud i need to turn it off every night. it keeps the whole floor awake!

i have a 24 gallon Aquapod...so im not sure if this skimmer would suit my tank. i have an offer to buy a remora off a guy for $110, its less than a year old.

what would my best bet be? the remora, or this newbie skimmer?

it sucks...i have a euroreef 80 (that is still sitting in the box) that i bought for a 50 gallon wide i was going to set up. got all the gear...but im too broke to set it up!!

lots of foam now,not dark but not light either right in the middle ,since adding a longer air intake tube and relocating it i could raise the water level a tad more, i think i got it adjusted just perfect now since i could tune the air to water level a little more,and the micro bubbles cut down alot more now ,over all i am happy!

Mines been going for about aweek now and im SUPER happy, im getting a dark tea colored foam now, and its constant, the thing i love about this is that its not super sensitive to water level. I would recommend this for just under 60$ to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
brooksthepro

another updated pic. Been running for quite a while now, just an FYI, once algae starts to grow on the inside of the skimmer. there are ALOT LESS micro bubbles coming out of it.

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

i think this will be my last update, until i start to actually put animals in it....my plan is to start on 6/16/09 that exactly three months of cycling! :-)

Had to order a new bulb so ordered the Aquatic Life mini skimmer tooo.

Got the bulb and the skimmer. I just love Radium 20k 150 watt bulbs. $90 but money well spent.

The skimmer came with no instructions, have to download a PDF from their website. Really not a big deal as it turns out, the skimmer is completely assembled with the exception of the optional suction cup or hang over the side mounting. It is a well built unit, very sturdy and no flaws in the acrylic or plastic whatever it is assembly. 8 watt pump, should not add too much heat to the tank. Put it into the first chamber on the 29 biocube. snug fit but it does go in. Been running since about 8:00 pm last night. Have had some light green skimmate already. Can't wait for it to break in. Will keep updating as the unit breaks in.

To everyone who has one, keep us all posted on these things. We all want to know whether they are good or not :)

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my 20h but I dont want to place it in the tank, i'd rather have it in my sump, can someone let me know whats the minimum water level it can have? Thanks.

Amerijuanican

How is it on noise? I have had quite a few different skimmers, some noisier than the others. I'm running a Tunze 9002 right now and it is really quiet.

It was noisy at first but after a little adjustment to height and I am sure some break in time it is quiet now. Still only getting a light green skimmate but only 4 days on right now. Will keep all posted on my experience with it.

addisonlee25
It was noisy at first but after a little adjustment to height and I am sure some break in time it is quiet now. Still only getting a light green skimmate but only 4 days on right now. Will keep all posted on my experience with it.

I just got mine, its quite noisy though. It makes all kinds of burbing and snorting sounds. How long before it started to quiet down? It's driving me nuts!

Adjust the height of the unit in the water either up or down, mine had to come up some from what the instructions show.

• 2 weeks later...
QbnSuperman

I just bought this skimmer from a forum member. It's just mounted on a side wall of my bc14 for now. It may go in my refugium later but it looks like it may fit in chamber1 of the bc14 with some modification of the tank's top rim. I put it in like 20 minutes ago. Massive amounts of microbubbles but as all the people who already have this thing skimming say, thats just until break-in is over.

I think if this thing really starts to pull some good skimmate, I'll try to modify the 1st chamber and stuff it in there. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I'm really wanting this for my 10G long, but...

I am using an AC40 for a nano-fuge (chaeto and I can't decide whether to pop the carbon bag in there, as I did for a day and it wreaked havoc on my params, but I digress...).

The skimmer would have to be in the "show" tank, which measures 24"Lx10"Hx7"D. This means that I've got the water depth, but it will extend nearly half way into the tank. So, if I stick it in the corner, it will basically TAKE that corner away from a sort of deprived footprint, IMHO.

However, at only 1/3 price of an HOB unit, I am SORELY tempted!!

I guess I am just throwing this out there for a second opinion, as my LFS's don't seem to "get" the concept of "NANO"! ;)

Archived