SaltCritters.com

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

Yeah, it is really sensitive to changes in water height. having the surface skimmer move the tiniest amount changes the depth in my back compartments and throws it out of wack. I'm trying to think of a good way to have the surface skimmer stay perfectly in place (magnets?) and I want to add a siphon topoff that keeps the back chamber steady. How would the adjustable air intake make it work better?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jeffncherie

with an adjustable air intake you can scale back the amount of air going into the pump. causing it to make smaller bubbles. meaning dryer foam and/or more foam. it works more efficiently. i think it wouldnt be as sensitive to water level cuz there would be tons of tiny bubbles being pushed through. i did it to my old red sea prizm and it pulled thick sludge after the mod when before it hardly skimmed, it just made real light tea-like water. I heard tons of bad reviews on the red sea prizm. after that mod i did it was a whole new skimmer. just like all the other needle wheel skimmers out there have an adjustable air intake why not the 115 right? when i opened the box of my 115 i thought it was odd it didnt have an air valve. first thing in my mind was "is it gonna work? and Im gonna put one on it, couldnt hurt" right?

JayEeeTeeEss
with an adjustable air intake you can scale back the amount of air going into the pump. causing it to make smaller bubbles. meaning dryer foam and/or more foam. it works more efficiently. i think it wouldnt be as sensitive to water level cuz there would be tons of tiny bubbles being pushed through. i did it to my old red sea prizm and it pulled thick sludge after the mod when before it hardly skimmed, it just made real light tea-like water. I heard tons of bad reviews on the red sea prizm. after that mod i did it was a whole new skimmer. just like all the other needle wheel skimmers out there have an adjustable air intake why not the 115 right? when i opened the box of my 115 i thought it was odd it didnt have an air valve. first thing in my mind was "is it gonna work? and Im gonna put one on it, couldnt hurt" right?

If you mod the 115, could you post some pictures of what you did?

At close to the 2 week mark, this baby really picked up with the skimming. Nice dark skimmate daily. I have the skimmer about a 1/2" higher than the recommended height also. That's as far down as it will go in my AC110. With a piece of filter foam in front of the skimmer's outlet, I have barely any micro-bubbles entering my display now too.

For those who have one set up and running, How long did it take for it to quiet and the microbubbles to slow down? I just set mine up and the bubbling/gurgling sound is quite loud with a ton of microbubbles.

For those who have one set up and running, How long did it take for it to quiet and the microbubbles to slow down? I just set mine up and the bubbling/gurgling sound is quite loud with a ton of microbubbles. .

i have mine on my 29AGA works awesomely. it took about 1-2 weeks for the micro bubbles to slow down, mine are pretty much non-existent now. sound has quieted substantially as well. either that or im getting used to it. it still slurps every now and then

• 1 month later...

hmmmm. im torn between this and a 9002....leaning towards this bc of price though. keep posting pics of skimmate if u own one of these plz :) thanks

just a quick question.. would this be good enough for wanting to do NPS in a 10gallon.. or should i plan on ordering a euro-reef nano skimmer?

• 2 months later...
supertech99

I have had this thing in the 10gal sump of my 20L for a month now, still cant get a dry foam or anything better than light green tea. I have tried high and low and middle all the way "open" and all the way "closed" and everything inbetween, foam at the top of the neck and at the bottom, nothing like brooksthepro has been getting, any help in positioning of adjusting this think? I have 5 crabs, a yellow watchman and a huge blue damsel in the tank with LR from my big reef tank so I know there is gunk to pull and Ive been feeding heavy. I do also run a sock, could that be it? Can somebody post some in sump placement pics?

supertech99

took the sock out, still having a hard time. don't want to beat a dead horse but really can't get a good skim out of this.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread has been dead for a while but any updates??? Also any pics in a BC29. Seems like people are lowering their water levels? Will it fit with Stevies media basket??? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Archived