Cultivated Reef

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered my skimmer 2 day ago before I saw this thread. If its built anything like the T5 fixture from AquaticLife than I know I will be happy. Those have to be the best lights for the price. As soon as I get the skimmer I will post pics and any info along with the others that have it. Marine Depot has them on sale.

The Propagator

Its a nice looking little skimmer, but I just cant see this thing working effectively on anything larger then 10 gallons max.

Glad I found this thread since my wife and I have been trying to decide which skimmer to get for our BC29. We have the BC skimmer now, but its time to get a better skimmer (one that actually works LOL). I was having a hard time convincing myself to buy the tunze skimmer (pricey little unit) since we are also building a 150g reef tank now and the BC29 is getting moved to our bedroom. This new skimmer looks like a good deal for the price and it seems most people that have them are happy so far.

So I was just wondered if anyone is running this in there BC29, and how well is it working?

What mods if any did you have to do to run it in the BC29, and which camber are you running it in?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked and answered.

brooksthepro

another picture of the skim out of the tank after another few day, keeps getting darker! and this is with no bioload except live rock!

skimmmmmm.jpg

BLoCkCliMbeR
another picture of the skim out of the tank after another few day, keeps getting darker! and this is with no bioload except live rock!

skimmmmmm.jpg

your finger nails are dirty

disaster999

i might just give this a try...do they ship internationally?

holy crap the shipping is 65 bucks...screw that

Got mine last night running in the biocube 29 in the second chamber ,fits great just did some mods to the bracket to make it sit low enough, the knob it a pain to turn but i add a piece of hose over the knob so now the hose is the same height of the top of the collection cup very easy to turn now ,mico bubble heaven so fare been running less then 12hrs no skimmate yet

biocube 29: day 2 of skimmer in chamber 2,still lots of mico bubbles,very little foam,i get more water in the cup then foam ,i think its beacuse of the tiny little bubbles popping in the cone area.I noticed that if the water in the chamber 2-3 dropped 1/4 inch good luck in getting foam in the cup,the water in the skimmer drops to low:( I fixed the adjuster with the hose slipped over it ,very easy to adjust now.Well i am starting to think i am going to call this the little skimmer that could,some pics of it in chamber 2

post-43682-1239542432_thumb.jpg

post-43682-1239542440_thumb.jpg

post-43682-1239542446_thumb.jpg

brooksthepro

i had to wait like a week before it started to work properly. Microbubbles are really bad at first, but there alot less now.

brooksthepro

another picture of the skimmers results after another 12 days from the last time i posted, again, this is with NO bio-load:

blakskim.jpg

lots of dry skimmate, especially encrusted on the inside of the cylinder in the collection cup, as you can see, that cylinder is totally caked with blackness. same as the water

I have this running on my 24 gal nc and it seems to be doign a good job im getting a nice tea colored skimmate already only 2 days after i installed.i look forward to seeing this at full pace :)

Still cant see it being effective on any thing larger then 10-15 gallons gang.

You have to admit though Prop, thats pretty decent skimmate for a cheap skimmer.

Still cant see it being effective on any thing larger then 10-15 gallons gang.

I'm running one on a 20L and its pulling about the same color as brooksthepro's if not a little darker and i dont have any bio-load...

i got mine to skim about the same as Brooksthepro.

mine is under skimming for what i have in total volume of water. I am just procrastinating on installing my Euro Reef.

The Propagator
I like how after the photos of skimmate The Propagator upped his estimate from 10 gallons to 10-15 gallons ;) .

I hope you realize how miniscule that really is.

That's sort of like like saying.. "well I peed directly in to the wind during 25 mph wind instead of 30mph and only my chest got wet instead of my face this time"

;)

Archived