inTank Media Baskets

new skimer on the market

snowmaker

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, this is fairly intriguing for the price point. It really is quite tiny. There's a review on MarineDepot's blog (they're also selling it, of course, so caveat emptor and all that) that seems pretty positive. From my (admittedly rather quick) calculations it requires a maximum of 6.75" of water depth (10.5" tall with minimum 3.75" clearance above the water line). This makes me wonder if it could be stuck inside an AquaClear 110 (with the top cut for the collection cup) to make kind of a DIY "BakPak" kind of deal with a fuge and skimmer.

id really like to try one it would just take me completly redoing my diy aio 5 gal to fit it in there and for that to happen i need to know this isnt another fission nano. + id probably have to end up going to a 10-20 aio.

Hmm, this is fairly intriguing for the price point. It really is quite tiny. There's a review on MarineDepot's blog (they're also selling it, of course, so caveat emptor and all that) that seems pretty positive. From my (admittedly rather quick) calculations it requires a maximum of 6.75" of water depth (10.5" tall with minimum 3.75" clearance above the water line). This makes me wonder if it could be stuck inside an AquaClear 110 (with the top cut for the collection cup) to make kind of a DIY "BakPak" kind of deal with a fuge and skimmer.

wow, that sounds like an awesome idea!!!

me personally have not tried one, but for the price, doesnt sound all that bad, and the features dont sound that bad also...

gulfsurfer101

I think I'm going to get one for the frag tank I envision sometime down the line. At that price I might just get two and replace the 200 dollar POS Turboflotor blue I just bought.

I saw one up close and personal yesterday. Seems like it is a well built little unit. My only complaint was that it was a tiny bit too big to fit in the back of my BC14. BC29 would have been no problem.

I like the idea of trying to mount it in an AC fuge though. The water level does have to be pretty high on the skimmer. Instructions claim just under the collection cup.

Atlantis Reef

Looks like a good skimmer but if they would not fit in BC14 they could have done a small change to make it work I would have thought

Don't do instead of a fuge. Do it in conjunction with it. Both do different things

no room for both lol. i've got 3.5"x3" footprint left in the back chamber.

Stick with the fuge then. It will be more effective on a tank that small.

i've got the light and the chaeto already, so i plan on it. but if it's not growing like i want it to, i'll be switching to the skimmer to remove nutrients before they even go through the nitrogen cycle.

I just received one to try out in our store, and to be honest. I think it works pretty well.

It is built very solid, I am very impressed with the build quality and it does seem to be pulling out some stuff. I think have it to low in the tank, since the skimmate is very wet right now, but the tank I have it in, has a low lip, and I can't have it stuck to the back without being below the trim.

If there is anything you want to know about, please let me know, any pictures you want to see etc.

Kim

not_sponsored

Does it come with a mounting bracket instead of suction cups? I can't see those holding up for very long. Would be pretty easy to mod though.

Does it come with a mounting bracket instead of suction cups? I can't see those holding up for very long. Would be pretty easy to mod though.

Yes it does, there are 2 diffferent mounting brackets as well as the suction cups.

Kim

I just received one to try out in our store, and to be honest. I think it works pretty well.

It is built very solid, I am very impressed with the build quality and it does seem to be pulling out some stuff. I think have it to low in the tank, since the skimmate is very wet right now, but the tank I have it in, has a low lip, and I can't have it stuck to the back without being below the trim.

If there is anything you want to know about, please let me know, any pictures you want to see etc.

Kim

some more pics would be awesome, in action and pieced apart

some more pics would be awesome, in action and pieced apart

I bit off on this - I ordered one from Marine Depot, delivery date estimated at next Tuesday. I don't have a saltwater tank right now (yeah yeah I'm working on it...) to set it up in, but I can take some unboxing pics and measurements if anyone's interested.

Just got it in about 30 minutes ago here are a few pictures overall very impressed with the product build quality is very good. As far as measurements the height without cup about 7 1/2" , width is about 3 1/2 with brackets, depth of it is 3 3/8" w/ brackets. With skimmer cup on it is 10 1/2",the cup itself is about 3x2x2. Pictures to follow any other questions while I am around?

skimmer006.jpg

skimmer005.jpg

skimmer004.jpg

skimmer003.jpg

skimmer002.jpg

skimmer001.jpg

skimmer007.jpg

skimmer008.jpg

skimmer011.jpg

As you can see it has a bubble trap built in to it. Sorry my camera sucks the mounting brackets use a the same method as a zip tie does and secure fairly well. The Suction cup brackets slide on and off and hold the whole skimmer together.

Just watched the included cd, wasn't much to watch as it is a generic cd with pdf files (user manuals) for all their products. If anyone wants to see the user manual for it I will try to upload it for you.

What brand is it? What tank are you putting it in Eick? I really like the design!

Bruce

Aquatic Life Internal Mini Skimmer 115, it is going to go on a 15 gallon I am in the process of building. Internal pictures are uploading now.

Archived