Cultivated Reef

Project100 - Rimless Bathtub -

Maeda

sex.

I will have it on this and get back to you with the results. I think I may need to sand it a bit better to prevent embarrassing splinters.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will have it on this and get back to you with the results. I think I may need to sand it a bit better to prevent embarrassing splinters.

We just need to know if it holds or no. Or if it creaks enough to wake up the neighbors. Splinters are a necessary evil of the process.

phi delt reefer

Maeda - looking good brother. Glad to see everything squared up.

cant wait to see the light hung over the tank on this new setup :)

Instead of shooting pictures as I go, I decided to try out the HD capabilities of my new camera...

Here's a short film starring yours truly creating this portion of my stand. It's a box that mounts the electrical hardware, and wires coming from the sump and keeps everything stashed out of site. Sorry it's not an instructional video.

_1000755.jpg

animalmaster6

Just read through the whole thread last night. Love the build Maeda.

I think your experiments with the Red Spots were very good. We need to crack down the needs of these guys.

Any different plans for livestock this time around?

Is this one gonna have newspaper curtains?

If I get dinos again...

I enjoy this build.

I enjoy building it. :D This is like the 3rd build of this same damn tank!

cant wait to see the light hung over the tank on this new setup :)

That's actually a matter of serious contention. I wanted to do a solar skylight, or solar tubes really really seriously, but it's looking like the placement of the tank, relative to the supports in the ceiling is going to make this impossible (at least at this time).

The NEW plan is to build a new T5HO + LED light, and rig some kind of push-button motorized light mover.

I'd still rather have skylights, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I think your experiments with the Red Spots were very good. We need to crack down the needs of these guys. Any different plans for livestock this time around?

There have been quite a few more people to have these buggers now, and more information is available.

I'm probably going to try these buggers again, but treat the tank like an NPS tank and just cloud it with food 24/7. If that don't work... well... I'm sure i'll think of something else to try!

Awesome build man!!! Pretty kick ass video as well! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Thank you! Glad you liked it. I think i'm going to make a couple more in the future.

phi delt reefer

move your entire stand to the right so the tank is in front of the other window. Looks like you get a lot of light through the one on the left. Use your original fixture to supplement.

I started with 5 red spots and they all got nice and fat in my continuously fed tank. I am now down to 2, and it is for a simple and stupid reason. I have found that they really freak out when the lights go out suddenly. They are prone to shock. They spaz out, bump into things, and go into shock. Once they go into shock, they become motionless and can easily get sucked up by pumps and shred to pieces, or they sink to the ground and get eaten by scavengers. I have been able to save a couple by confining them to a safe area for about 20 minutes and allowing them to recover, but sometimes they die anyway.

I know a lot of people lost them in the beginning for other reasons, but I say with confidence that these guys are really prone to shock. This is a case where having dimming capabilities are not just for your own pleasure. At the very least, I would have really strong moonlights.

Fan-freakin-tastic! Great woodworking skills. I'm sure you impress the ladies.

Any concern with the tiny gap on the left? Dust accumulation, lost items, dead rodents?

Hey John,

Hope I am not too late to bring this to your attention but there are two products you absolutely *MUST* use if you want to save that floor. They are Ditra and Kerdi. Both are about $2 per sq ft. and they are insane in how well they contain water.

We just remodeled and added on to our new house (went from 1180 sq ft to 2180 sq ft) and *EVERY* surface that even had a remote chance of getting wet I made sure to lay down the aforementioned products.

On the new build I am doing I originally thought about going with water safe paint or even an epoxy resin coating to make the sump area water tight then I came across Kerdi. What sold me on it was when I did the water test in the MB steam shower.

Filled a 4 1/2' x 5' x 5" area full of water and let it sit for five days (inspector was off the week we filled up the shower so I had to wait for the following week) and I had zero water loss other than evap. Done correctly this stuff is all that and a bag of chips!

I plan to sheet the entire interior of the stand as well as the top deck with Kerdi. That way there will be zero exposure of the wood (or the flooring underneath it) to any water penetration. It *REALLY* is the stuff when it comes to containment.

I know a lot of people lost them in the beginning for other reasons, but I say with confidence that these guys are really prone to shock.

GOOD LOOKING OUT UHURU! That's something I never considered! I'll put dimming into my lighting plans.

I'm already working on some Uhuru inspired feeding as well :happy:

-----

Fan-freakin-tastic! Great woodworking skills. I'm sure you impress the ladies.

Any concern with the tiny gap on the left? Dust accumulation, lost items, dead rodents?

TBH my woodworking is pretty mediocre when I look at the work of the few friends I have that are real 'woodworkers' . I'm just trying to keep up! Thank you for the compliments!

The gap is there, to separate the stand from the kitchen island. They'll be so different looking I don't want to visually connect them as it would look like a mistake.

-----

Hey John,

Hope I am not too late to bring this to your attention but there are two products you absolutely *MUST* use if you want to save that floor.

JUST in time buddy! I just laid down some primer and was just about to 2-part expoy the stand but this stuff looks very interesting. Upon a quick look through, this stuff looks awesome! I'll look into this further. My hetero-life-mate and I are currently contemplating what to do about the floor.

Any ideas on what I can put under the stand, and not have to tear up any more floor?

Maeda, you don't disappoint me! Since I've been away you have become DIY master!!! When Adin comes to your thread and posts single word compliment then it means you are doing something right!!!!

JUST in time buddy! I just laid down some primer and was just about to 2-part expoy the stand but this stuff looks very interesting. Upon a quick look through, this stuff looks awesome! I'll look into this further. My hetero-life-mate and I are currently contemplating what to do about the floor.

Any ideas on what I can put under the stand, and not have to tear up any more floor?

Cheers mate. I was blown away at its versatility and functionality. I have some left over from our build but not enough for you to really work with on the stand. You could use it as a test though...

I would recommend doing the following:

Create a setup similar to a washing machine or water heater pan under the tank. Lay down 1/2" ply and sheet it with either Kerdi or Ditra. Then put tile on top of it using decorative tile or even a simple bullnose for the vertical portion of the lip on both sides so that it looks nice while also setting up a barrier for any water spills penetrating into the wood flooring. The lip doesn't have to be much more than 1/2" or so.

I would also sheet the walls behind and on the sides of the tank with Kerdi (you can just prime then paint over it) this way the "wet" area's of the back walls are covered and you won't get mold/mildew on the drywall behind/on the side of the tank.

Alternately you can just lay ditra/kerdi directly under the tank and do a bit of a roll on the edges so that you have a lip to contain water if you don't mind the ugly orange color. It would be like a mat under the tank. Ditra would be the best for this because of the texture. Looks like a PVC mat or the like.

Maeda, you don't disappoint me! Since I've been away you have become DIY master!!! When Adin comes to your thread and posts single word compliment then it means you are doing something right!!!!

OOGIE!! It's like having Obi-wan coming back from the dead to tell me to use the force. Thanks. XD

oogie posted on your diy but not mine. I completely jealous wtf

Nips.... I don't know your diy thread dude.... shoot me a link!!!!!!!

Archived