Top Shelf Aquatics

Project100 - Rimless Bathtub -

Maeda

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

_1040374.jpg

A new setup deserves a new light, don't you think? I drilled and tapped aluminum stock, then bolted the end caps down with stainless steel screws. The result is a light 1" thinner than the last light.

_1040378.jpg

Thank you to George at ReefGeek for helping make this possible. Time to seal, upholster, and hang this puppy.

_1040381.jpg

Test fitting the new light.. Don't mind the dangling wires. :P

_1040384.jpg

It's a little bit wider than the last light, but it's much thinner.

_1040393.jpg

Upholstering a new sheet of white marine vinyl to the new light..

_1040396.jpg

I attached the old light's end-pieces, so you can see how much smaller the new light actually is.

_1040398.jpg

What it looks like after routing the edges..

_1040402.jpg

The other side..

_1040407.jpg

A 'full' FTS with the new light placed on top of the aquarium..

Next i'm going to add some hanging hardware and rig the light up to hang from the ceiling.

_1040411.jpg

Let there be LIGHT!

Ok so I didn't finish rigging the light to hang just yet, but I did lengthen the wires and hook up the remote ballasts...

phi delt reefer
_1040411.jpg

Let there be LIGHT!

Ok so I didn't finish rigging the light to hang just yet, but I did lengthen the wires and hook up the remote ballasts...

never ceases to amaze me... now throw 20 red spots in there! :P

_1040411.jpg

Let there be LIGHT!

Wow great job maeda....really nice DIY.

Love the scape BTW

_1040038.jpg

What's this?

_1040048.jpg

I sense a disturbance in the complex plumbing force... A feeling I haven't had since...

Shot across my bow eh John? ;) Something evil this way comes in about 2 weeks or so from Lee Mar for me so prepare to again be outdone by my fiendishly complex yet surprisingly and pleasingly functional and useful plumbing! :lol:

Looks good John. As does the house! You glad its finally over? I sure am on my side! I need to talk to your wife about the hydroponics again. I have a space outside that I want to set something up. You get down to my parts of the valley at all?

Hey John- Another thought... Why not just leave the light resting on the tank? It would double as a jump guard for the fish...

Other than gas exchange this seems like a good idea.

never ceases to amaze me... now throw 20 red spots in there! :P

With any luck, I WILL!

Wow great job maeda....really nice DIY.

Love the scape BTW

That is one awesome scape.
I just finished the entire thread from the beginning, and I must agree that you have amazing DIY skills. Very very impressive.
Great job on the fixture!
Lookin' good Maeda! :]

Thanks guys. I hope anyone reading this is inspired to take up DIYing. I've learned almost 100% of what i've been relying on to build this tank in the past few years playing with aquariums, and the more people we have DIYing the more innovation and as a result, success, we'll have as a community.

Something evil this way comes in about 2 weeks or so from Lee Mar for me so prepare to again be outdone by my fiendishly complex yet surprisingly and pleasingly functional and useful plumbing! :lol:

Looks good John. As does the house! You glad its finally over? I sure am on my side! I need to talk to your wife about the hydroponics again. I have a space outside that I want to set something up. You get down to my parts of the valley at all?

Awesome. I love these Lee Mar tanks. I can't wait to see what you've come up with.

Sadly the house is far from done! I have a lot more work to do patching stucco, casing windows, running a few more circuits, changing doors, etc etc etc. It never ends.

Hey John- Another thought... Why not just leave the light resting on the tank? It would double as a jump guard for the fish...

I considered this, and we are going to do something like this. I'm going to hang the fixture as low as I can, but still have the option to move it up and down..

I'm working on something very special to move the lights around.

Other than gas exchange this seems like a good idea.
Humm... Wouldn't this come about via the water churn in the sump...?

The sump and skimmer should take care of it. IMHO.

Fantastic work with the light.

Stand still blows me away. I imagine you were going for EXACTLY what you achieved and that's really impressive. The overall look is really incredible.

Looking forward to the stocking :)

Awesome. I love these Lee Mar tanks. I can't wait to see what you've come up with.

Sadly the house is far from done! I have a lot more work to do patching stucco, casing windows, running a few more circuits, changing doors, etc etc etc. It never ends.

I hear you! We just finished adding 1,000 sq ft and remodeling 500 sq ft and it *STILL* isn't done! :D

Nothing special actually. Just a stock 60" x 24" x 24". The new house came with a Koi pond with 23 20+" Koi in it (WAY to small a pond for that many Koi) so I traded Steve at PTF the fish for store credit and for some bat$hit no foundation in reality reason She Who Must Be Obeyed suddenly thinks Steve might go out of business and order's me to get a tank from Steve before we loose the credit. Looks like I can squeeze the tank, live rock, and a large chiller out of the deal. Sad thing is its going in the garage. Sigh.

Although down the road I might take on a DIY project to cut a hole in the living room wall (garage abuts LR), move the tank so its close to the wall as possible, then frame it with crown molding for a nice living Living Room display... Hummm... Check me on this John... Dry wall and framing is easy but its a load bearing wall so I would have to sister in king and jack studs to carry the load right?

I considered this, and we are going to do something like this. I'm going to hang the fixture as low as I can, but still have the option to move it up and down..

I'm working on something very special to move the lights around.

How did you get the curves on those wood pieces? Dremmel or router? And if router did you use a table or free hand it? Was it hard to do or pretty straight forward? And how would I go about doing it? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

..Dry wall and framing is easy but its a load bearing wall so I would have to sister in king and jack studs to carry the load right?

..How did you get the curves on those wood pieces? Any tips?..

If you pop a hole in the wall you will need king and jack studs to carry the load. The code is different everywhere, and its up to the inspectors preference, so call ahead before you do it. The wall I just did has extra king + jack studs on either side of the door, because of opening width and better safe than sorry.

..and as far as rounding wood goes, a 1/2" round-over bit, good router setup, and any decent router will get you there.

If you pop a hole in the wall you will need king and jack studs to carry the load. The code is different everywhere, and its up to the inspectors preference, so call ahead before you do it. The wall I just did has extra king + jack studs on either side of the door, because of opening width and better safe than sorry.

Thank you. That's what I figured. I will just quadruple up the king/jack studs. Better to over than under engineer. I blew one of the calculations on one of the cased openings we put in and we ended up with a 3/8" sag at framing. Boy was my face red.

..and as far as rounding wood goes, a 1/2" round-over bit, good router setup, and any decent router will get you there.

So you did use a table? (I am fishing for a reason to pick up a router table... ;) but please be honest if you think it can be done easily without one let me know)

Oh and why did you have all those 90's in your plumbing? Were you trying to add head height?

You won't need a table to do it. Any handheld router should be able to do it.

I find edge routing a lot easier without a table actually.

The 90's are in there to slow down the water and cut some of the noise from the drains.

Archived