inTank Media Baskets

Project100 - Rimless Bathtub -

Maeda

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the floor isn't wacky, its my stand. It started to warp and twist due to the top 2x6's not being dried properly.

Try try again....

dimens03.png

dimens04.png

The skeleton frame

dimens01.png

dimens02.png

Exploded diagram

dimens05.png

The sump area.

dimens07.png

dimens06.png

This time around im going to build it out of much shorter pieces to minimize movement. This stand should also be a much much more stable design.

phi delt reefer

Schweeet sketchup work man... very jealous of your skill :)

For the part that your tank sits on, make sure you have a horizontal support every 12" to 16". This would mimic the minimum code used in flooring joists which are rated for holding an entire level of a house. I see that you have one over a four foot span which is a 24" span.

See if you lumber yard has ASPEN 2x6s. They are a little more expensive than the spruce stuff but they appeared much straighter when I had a looked at them. Your other option is going to a wood worker and having them plane them slightly for you to compensate for any bowing. Some might even have old barn lumber that they can plane into a width/thickness you need.

When you get your lumber, let it sit in your house for a couple weeks so it warps and bends according to you in house environment. That way when you rebuild, your wood will pretty much be as warped as its going to be while the stand remains in your home.

Framing nails are stronger than deck screws from what i have heard, though I hate using a hammer and used screws in mine anyways but I just have a 35ish gallon tank :).

For the part that your tank sits on, make sure you have a horizontal support every 12" to 16". This would mimic the minimum code used in flooring joists which are rated for holding an entire level of a house. I see that you have one over a four foot span which is a 24" span.

I never thought to apply the floor joist code. Good looking out. I'll add a few more supports.

Also, I have this amazinggggggggg gas powered, cordless framing nailer. It shoots GIANT framing nails. I bought it to frame up my walls, and some of my roof. You can't live without this thing. Once everything on the cut list is checked off, boom-boom-boom, its all framed out (as long as you can hold everything square).

p1060553.jpg

Yah, I made the mistake of doing this all outside when it was humid and damp, and then when it came inside it just twisted to hell. It was a common sense failure on my part. I'm not sure if we can get aspen in socal, but i'll hunt around. I'm so pissed this time i'm going to see if a buddy of mine can joint/plane all my boards.

I have to switch my brain back into wood-worker mode. I've been in rough-carpenter mode for too many months. Last stand I also built out of 100% left overs, so I guess it's expected I have to get serious and actually buy some real wood. I just wish I didn't have to

looks nice

Thank you. :happy: I only hope the real thing looks as nice as the computer models.

Might want to consider building the stand out of man-made materials then skin it if going for sleek modern look.

Engineered beams, plywood, etc then epoxy and sand smooth, prime and top coat (sprayed automotive finish) or go with a glued on laminate.

If not, there was a previous suggestion of acclimation then processing (jointer and surface planer).

I personally have a goal of making one of my future tank stands in the japanese fashion (hand cut joinery for all joints).

I really like building things and want to get into the trade (possibly finish carpentry or cabinet making).

I don't just want a job but I want to learn a skill or trade.

Done college (ba) in december then will be on the look.

Btw, I enjoyed your first go around and am looking forward to this build.

Might want to consider building the stand out of man-made materials then skin it if going for sleek modern look.

Engineered beams, plywood, etc then epoxy and sand smooth, prime and top coat (sprayed automotive finish) or go with a glued on laminate.

Engineered beams? :mellow: what are those?

EDIT: Like plywood I beams right?

I'm using dimensional lumber and plywood because it's cheap, and easy to get.

Engineered beams? :mellow: what are those?

EDIT: Like plywood I beams right?

I'm using dimensional lumber and plywood because it's cheap, and easy to get.

I know. I went the same route on my current stand build. Nothing wrong with it. But there seemed to be a conversation going on about material choices. haha. not to mention the issues with warping and twisting you had. Engineered lumber is suppose to minimize that.

You have a great eye and really liked the look of your "H" style stand last time.

I know. I went the same route on my current stand build. Nothing wrong with it. But there seemed to be a conversation going on about material choices. haha. not to mention the issues with warping and twisting you had. Engineered lumber is suppose to minimize that.

You have a great eye and really liked the look of your "H" style stand last time.

Thanks.

I looked but I couldn't find any in my immediate area. I found a bunch of really neat composite decking material.

---------------------

P1080118.jpg

Orange Box kiln dried 2x4s are about all I could find without going too far (I don't drive).

I spent a good hour picking out 10 of the straightest pieces.

Chop chop chop.

P1080122.jpg

I sanded down the edges and lightly sanded the faces to avoid splinters.

P1080123.jpg

Almost there....

P1080125.jpg

I have these amazing 60" K-body clamps that work awesome for clamping stuff.

P1080124.jpg

I also have this amazing cordless gas framing nailer (aka the NAAAIIILLLGUN(nsfw)) that shoots 3.5" nails.

P1080119.jpg

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

P1080128.jpg

A few corner braces to join the floor of the stand to the back and sides.

P1080127.jpg

Dry fitting the separate pieces to check how level they'll be if I assembled right now...

dimens02.png

This is the section I did in this post...

P1080130.jpg

..see the resemblance? Out with the old and in with the new.

Tomorrow i'll build the 2nd section and start skinning these frames.

Its going good, but I won't be adding any new corals for a while since I have no money. I spend about $10/wk just on salt.

I think we can combine powers in the future since I'm planning to move back to socal in about 1.5 years.

I think we can combine powers in the future since I'm planning to move back to socal in about 1.5 years.

I will be waiting :happy:

----------------------

P1080145.jpg

Putting down the floor..

P1080147.jpg

Things went a little slower then I thought they would. I secured everything, and squared it all up. I added the back and the floor, and ran out of daylight.

I guess i'll finish skinning this part of the stand and start framing out the other part tomarrow.

Looking good. Has Ennis been over to help?LOL

This flew over my head. Who's Ennis?

Edit: I got it! NO that bastard is honeymooning or something

Ennis is ennis, because the scnrs irc nerds have been using the first letter of a person's name to distinguish them, but we have 3 D's.

Haha He has it pretty rough. :rolleyes:

This flew over my head. Who's Ennis?

Edit: I got it! NO that bastard is honeymooning or something

Ennis is ennis, because the scnrs irc nerds have been using the first letter of a person's name to distinguish them, but we have 3 D's.

I just recall him saying his name was Dennis but you call him Ennis LMAO

• 3 weeks later...

Archived