Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Project100 - Rimless Bathtub -

Maeda

P1010961.jpg

P1010964.jpg

Yup. Been realllllllllllllllly busy, so not much time to post, but not so busy that I don't have time to keep my tank in ok shape.

I picked up another 4-5 SPS pieces (pink lemonade, red planet, some random tenius, and some other stuff) , and ditched 2 leathers. :D

Excuse the cloudy water.. I just shoveled the sand around not 10 minutes before this pic.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P1010965.jpg

I plunked down the ducats for this last week.

F*CKING AWESOME. I have been known to over use the word but nothing else can really describe how good this thing is, right now, in this moment in time. It's not a lack of vocabulary or imagination. Really. This thing is good. Real good. Like your first icecream cone, or the first time you got some undershirt-over-bra action.

I've had Koralias (crap out over time, and shocked me) Tunzes (pricey and good, but require almost monthly cleaning), Maxi-Mods (CHEAP and good, but they burn-out regularly), MP40 (pricey and work well but noisey, and relatively fragile) and closed-loops (hidden and the skies the limit, but proportional PITA to clean), and this thing beats out all of them.

It's big and ugly, but it does move 2800gph. It's more adjustable than anything else i've had, and definitively the quietest water flow you can get. Anybody that has seen my tank in person knows how quiet it is. Although I have near 8000gph running through it, the ambient sounds coming through my windows or the water flowing behind my walls is louder.

The prop setup looks tough. Minus points for a ceramic shaft (I tend to break these things or gunk them up), but the rest of the pump seems solidly built.. Tunze quality by my eye.

By far the best feature is that on start and stop it doesn't make any noise! No click'click'click'click nonsense, and no spinning backward.

Only time will tell if this is pump will stay with me.. but over the years, i've seen a lot of equipment come and go and it looks like this is definitely going to be a keeper. It's up there with the poorman's Red Dragon Pond-Master for best piece of aquarium equipment I've ever owned (You should know by now im prone to hyperbole and gross exaggeration).

In short..

Sicce Voyager 7, I love you. :wub:

best sicce ad ever

Terrible picture though. :lol:

I should take a better one... but I need some motivation... *cough* like another Voyager 7.. *cough*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P1020072.jpg

P1020080.jpg

After having this tank up and running for about a year, only now am I starting to stock. Hilarious.

What I find unsettling is that sometimes, patience in this hobby seems just like laziness. The only difference between the two is that if everything dies, then you're lazy.

I also borrowed a lens LONG enough to get some pictures of things. I need a macro lens (macro for my system is $$$$$$$. It also has L-E-I-C-A etched on it putting it completely out of my price range).

P1020065.jpg

It's starting to look like a tank now. Finally seeing some progress!

Around this time of year, in 2010, I was still building the stand, and in 2009 the tank crashed. It's good to finally be all caught up.

P1050326.jpg

I still have quite a bit of a ways to go before it looks like this again..

great to see your tank finally getting stocked! my tank's been setup since april and still no corals. not as long as year but still a while for most people. but in my case, it isn't laziness or patience. it's lack of funds. hopefully i'll be stocking corals soon. in any case, your tank's looking good!

phi delt reefer

nice to see you back in the game. i got some old glasses, tin snips and a roll of wire with your name on it to fab up a macro for ur camera :D

what are you running as a return pump? i am upgrading my eheim 1250 to a maxijet 5500 utility pump. 1400gph @75w... hard to beat :D

Eh. Look for hagen POND MASTER!

Its basically a mk I Red Dragon. Very quiet, and sub-70w iirc for about 1200-1400gph. Although I have not tried those new utility pumps..

http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-PowerJet-1500...4372&sr=8-3

I got one like this, and took the pump out of the cage and stuck it to a little pump stand I made from scrap acrylic.

9193laguna.jpg

red-dragon-pump.jpg

Look firmiliar? The RD has a bigger volute, but I think that's just for the skimmers. It's a kickass return pump.

------------------------------------

Everyone should read this thread..

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1483

The tank looks stellar. Awesome overall look. I can't wait to see new coral additions and growout.

I can't wait to see some new coral additions as well, but sadly I don't know how many more pieces im actually going to add. I will add a couple montis, and non-acro SPS, but thats about it. I told myself that this tank will house only a handful of coral species, but I'll grow them into basketballs.

Just read the whole thread. Amazing build dude, I've never seen DIY stuff this good. I really hope your tank see's progress instead of problems haha

Thank you! I take pride in my DIY, but I still have lots to learn. My craftsmanship still has a few hiccups in places. After finding the faulty heater, I firmly believe that my tank is FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY on the right track.

for now.

phi delt reefer
Eh. Look for hagen POND MASTER!

Its basically a mk I Red Dragon. Very quiet, and sub-70w iirc for about 1200-1400gph. Although I have not tried those new utility pumps..

http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-PowerJet-1500...4372&sr=8-3

I got one like this, and took the pump out of the cage and stuck it to a little pump stand I made from scrap acrylic.

9193laguna.jpg

red-dragon-pump.jpg

Look firmiliar? The RD has a bigger volute, but I think that's just for the skimmers. It's a kickass return pump.

------------------------------------

hahahaha - i have been looking into those pumps for months. Here is my two cents;

A buddy of mine's best friend owns a generic pet store that carries the Hagen line. Big part of his business is ponds due to his location out in a smaller town. He actually told us to stay away from the laguna pumps due to the number of warranty issues he had with them. At one point he would buy two pumps for everyone ordered because he knew it would come back in for warranty soon enough. As to what the issue with the pumps is - i never found out. Does he have a vested interest in another brand? Not really - he didnt recommend anything else, just said stay away from the laguna pumps. The marineland utility pump is rated very close to the laguna thats why i zeroed in on it. Three year warranty isnt bad either.

red dragon uses them as skimmer and return pumps. They have a line of return pumps that are a $1000+. Supposidly they swap out the shafts for titanium and use a custom volute but not much more on teh 1500 series. The larger pumps have much more work done to them.

Thanks.

I looked but I couldn't find any in my immediate area. I found a bunch of really neat composite decking material.

---------------------

P1080118.jpg

hello , I'm Chinese seafish fans. I like u‘tank so much.I want to build similar tank.but I want to know what kind of wood do you used.can you tell me ? May send a Email to me :zebra_king@hotmail.com。

Thanks a lot。

hello , I'm Chinese seafish fans. I like u‘tank so much.I want to build similar tank.but I want to know what kind of wood do you used.can you tell me ?

Thanks a lot。

I used mostly pine for the stand and sanded maple ply.

• 1 month later...

Archived