Top Shelf Aquatics

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

Thanks guys!

I am excited as well :)

I was out of town all last week and had my roommate taking care of my tank. Well looks like a friend put there hand in the tank and broke some of my Birdsnest and knocked my Tunze lower so it was blowing right into the corals. Needless to say some were looking pretty bad but today are looking better.

I'll update soon!

I really want to get a MP10 for the other side. We shall see! I'm off to Chicago this Thurs-Sunday so I wont be able to play around to much.

-D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam - just shot you one back.

Jacob - Thanks man! I really tried to plan this one out. Once they grow in I think it will look nice too!

I'll try and snap some pictures after work.

-Dave

All I can say is WOW. I finally feel like I snapped some good pictures ( I used a different camera).

The Vortech is the best piece of equipment I have ever bought! I have it on 100% reefcrest mode and LOVE it. My tank looks clean and the corals are already happy.

lords

DSC02937-vi.jpg

growth

DSC02938-vi.jpg

setosa, undata and efflo

DSC02944-vi.jpg

LPS, war coral, babys breath and lords

DSC02946-vi.jpg

cool side shot

DSC02950-vi.jpg

the new toy!

DSC02955-vi.jpg

blah FTS

DSC02959-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking! I cant wait to see the growth with the vortech

-Dave

Awesome Dave. The new pics are pretty much night and day from the last ones....which camera are you using now? Super sharp and the color looks like it's spot on.

Sounds like you are enjoying the new toy....get ready for some super happy corals and an increase in growth.

Those acans, the war coral, and the baby's breath are just amazing. If you ever get to a point where you want to frag the war and baby's breath, let me know as I'd definitely be interested in a small piece. You said that's the original war coral that you had years ago and you got a frag back,right?

Honestly I just took 1000 pictures with a point and shoot sony. Then was able to adjust the color to how it should look and they came out great.

I'm shooting you a PM about the war coral but yes it was my old piece from 3-4 years back and now my buddy has grown it out to 100+ heads? I just snagged a frag when we moved his tank. The Babys Breath grows slow but when I think its good to frag you got it. It has an amazing color.

Hopefully when I get the new bulb the colors will pop a little more!

-Dave

Sent you a PM with some MP20 tips and tricks. :)

Would you mind sending me the tips too??

Dave, what is your plan with the MP10? You mentioned putting it on the other side....are you trying to make waves or something?

TheStar - I would like another to add move random flow. Plus when things start to grow out I will need more flow. I plan on having this tank for a while!

James - Thanks! Its super simple too! Three rocks :)

Meada - Thanks, its by far my fav piece in the tank. I think I've always had a love for the color orange.

Weet - Its a night and day difference. It doesnt feel like the MP20 pushes out a ton but it moves the entire tank. Thats why I want a MP10 so I can put it on 40-50% on reef crest to have even more randomness.

Sorry it took awhile to reply, I had no access to the internet in Chicago. I had a paintball event that we took 3rd in!

-Dave

Tuan - Thanks! I really had to think it out!

Weeber - I will frag a piece sometime soon. 1-2 months. Its been growing so well that I really want to get it a little larger before snapping a couple frags off. Just shoot me a PM and I will save it.

I'll try and snap a few pictures tonight to show off the rock work from the top. My pearlberry is making a slow comeback but I think its going to come through!

I may pick up a fish tonight but not sure.

Keep posted!

-Dave

Sorry it took awhile to reply, I had no access to the internet in Chicago. I had a paintball event that we took 3rd in!

-Dave

Congrats Dave! I've only played twice in my life, but I can honestly say that was one of the most exciting things I have ever done, the adrenaline rush is unreal lol. I even took one in the neck, open flesh.....man I was so proud of my "battle scar" haha.

James - Yea it is a blast. I am only 24 but I have been all over the states and over seas like France, Spain, Belgium, Germany, England, Holland, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia Switzerland and a few others. I was playing for a team in the states Baltimore Trauma and then I joined onto a team from Russia. Overall its been great.

Things have slowed down so now I can have this tank!

-Dave

James - Yea it is a blast. I am only 24 but I have been all over the states and over seas like France, Spain, Belgium, Germany, England, Holland, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia Switzerland and a few others. I was playing for a team in the states Baltimore Trauma and then I joined onto a team from Russia. Overall its been great.

Things have slowed down so now I can have this tank!

-Dave

Awesome looking tank, and i'm very impressed with your acrylic skillz. What coral is this? it's fantastic!

img1272vi.jpg

Awesome looking tank, and i'm very impressed with your acrylic skillz. What coral is this? it's fantastic!

img1272vi.jpg

Thanks! Its just a ORA green polyp birdsnest. It just had STN but is hanging in there! Very easy and simple.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see the goods -- Superman, MP10, Wallermellon :)

How's the MB7/Vodka dosing going for you so far? Any positives or negatives?

Not sure about the wallermelon ;)

Stay tuned...today I will have pictures :) around 3-4

Along with the chronicles of some of my corals! ( copied you Adam )

Watermelon(11).jpg

1253-smirnoff-premium-vodka.jpg

-Dave

Sounds great Dave.

Just take a large syringe, suck up some vodka and stick it in the whole watermelon. Oh never mind, you were talking about Chalice and Vodka dosing :D

Well well well...

My tank is looking extra awesome today. I have been fighting some odd slimey algae the last week and I think I found the answer. My skimmer was not making the bubbles it used too. So with me having a day off I got frustrated and cleaned it all. Now its making bubbles like I've seen on BK's and i-Techs. I am once again happy.

I picked up a couple things today too. Lugols, tiny blue clove's, superman, Tyree watermelon, sand sifting star fish and some more snails. I know people are iffy about the star fish but I had one in my last tank and I think they work awesome :)

I am going to do post some growth shots tonight but I figured I would get these up. I cant tell you how happy I am about my tank now. Things are going to look only better with the skimmer preforming again and I have just started dosing....

Vodka/MB7

Lugols

2 Part

So I will have before and after pictures. I am keeping a really detailed log too. Best of all I am testing my parameters now! Since day one I have never tested....well on to the pictures! :D

War Coral, Babys Breath, Tyree Watermelon

DSC03127-vi.jpg

Superman and ATL Pink Cap

DSC03128-vi.jpg

ORA Duncan

IMG_3587-vi.jpg

Efflo and Setosa ( crazy growth! )

IMG_3588-vi.jpg

Blue Cloves

IMG_3589-vi.jpg

Babys Breath and Tyree Pink Watermelon ( this thing is WAY more pink than what I can snap a photo of )

IMG_3581-vi.jpg

FTS

DSC03121-vi.jpg

Hope you like!

-Dave

Wow Dave. Tank is really starting to come together for you. Superman looks nice and happy in your tank and I'm telling you, once it gets settled in, the thing will take off like noneother. I've never had encrusting Monti growth like I've had with this piece. Should do great in your tank.

Sweet pickup on the Watermelon. Is this the one that you were telling me about? If so, I may have to get in on that over the next couple of weeks.

Glad to hear that tank is performing up to your standards and glad to hear that you are finally testing :) I'm sure things will really take off now that you are testing and dosing CA/ALK as well as the Vodka/MB7 dosing schedule you've started.

Are you sure that the slime wasn't from starting to dose Vodka? I thought I read on Sonny's tank thread that that happens when you are dosing too much aminos or vodka. Or maybe that is clumping of the sand. It's early :)

Keep us posted on the growth/coloration from dosing. Guess it will be hard to tell if you can attribute it to the Vodka or actually testing and dosing 2-part ;)

Adam - Thats the piece! Its awesome! I will make sure to keep up with how things go. I honestly think the algae was from the skimmer not doing it thing. Just letting stuff sit there and the bacteria eating it. NOT GOOD.

I am trying to get together all my old photo's to do the growth shots. Its been crazy!

Oh and my dads friend had a JBJ 1/5 chiller he GAVE me.... :D

-Dave

Archived