Coral Vue Hydros

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uhuru - From what I have read there is no need. Of course people have said that the vodka will only focus on one set of bacteria, but from the tanks I have seen with bacteria/Vodka have looked great. Plus it makes things way easier to keep up with.

Hows the larger tank coming?

-Dave

Dave, the large tank plans keep evolving as I spend more time thinking about what I want to do. With my nano I have some really cool stocking plans and I'm gonna take it a step further on the 150g. To give you a big hint I purchased a continuous plankton/ live food feeder from GEO.

Figure I would post some pictures...

I'm almost up to 1 mL of vodka. Things have been looking AWESOME. I have amazing polyp extension, color and the water is super clear.

This is what I am currently dosing...

1mL vodka

4 drops of MB7

1 drop of Lugols every four days

Weekly water changes

I was able to sell my chiller so I will be saving for a iTech 100. I'll need to sell my H&S so if there are any takers ;)

The following pictures are with just ATI Blue + and ATI Aquablue. I know there have been discussion on the boards about MH and T5's. My tank is only running a 24" 4 bulb fixture and my tank is 30"x18x16. I can get these colors with only 96w :) I've had amazing growth without dosing much of anything.

Hopefully next week I can pick some inverts, gobies and coco worm.

I have a few little upgrades coming in the next couple of months so stay tuned, think Iwan :D

IMG_3687-vi.jpg

IMG_3693-vi.jpg

IMG_3696-vi.jpg

IMG_3708-vi.jpg

-Dave

Tank is absolutely rockin' Dave!!! As soon as I get my Phosphate and Nitrate kits together, I"ll be right behind you trying to catch up on the Vodka. Even with just the MB7, I've noticed pretty amazing differences in the polyp extension on ALL of my SPS and the colors seem to have a little more kick to them. Pretty amazing.

You know I"m right there with you on the whole T5 vs. MH thing. I ran PCs on my first tank, switched to T5s, went back to a Sunpod MH on my BC29 and then went back to T5s on my 20H. I could go into all of the benefits I've seen with T5s, but that's for another day and thread :) I long said good bye to the lovely shimmer and hello to great color options, less heat, and killer growth.

I'm glad to see the Superman seems to be settling in and starting to grow. Mine has really taken off recently so I'm sure yours will do the same. It really has some amazing red polyps against that nice blue base.

The FTS looks really great. To the right of the birdsnest and left of the blue SPS, a really nice branching green slimer/stag, some sort of nice Tort, or even a large Frogspawn would look awesome.

Keep up the good work.

Well the larger tank will have to be on the back burner. With how crazy times are now, I'm not sure if I would be ready to spend a good amount on a larger tank. I have been looking at houses and you know how that goes. Any ways I had a HUGE surprise today. The owner of the paintball team I play on owns a metal manufacturing business and does it all. about two months ago I asked him about a stand and he said he could try. Well today we drops by with a new SS stand with a light holder too! It swivels so when I need to do work to the tank its nice and easy :D. The best part it was FREE!!! I plan on putting something on the outside, tile or who knows but it will look NICE! Plus I have all the extra room to put stuff underneath. The stand is 38 ( Height ) x31 ( lengh ) x18 ( width ).

I could even make it look ELOS style or Iwanish.

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Needless to say I am still staying on the same path with my idea for the larger tank. My current tank has TONS of room to grow out and I plan on having all types of small gobies and inverts in here soon. I plan on.... 1-2 more Bumble Bee Shrimp, 5-6 Sexy Shrimp, Tube Anemone, Acro Crabs, Crowie, Pom Pom Crab, Squat Lobster (Crinoid), A few trimmas and a couple of smaller gobies. I also hope to add 5-6 Longspine Cardinals. This may sound like a lot but I am positive my system will easily be able to handle it.

I plan on picking up a frag of FragFarmer Skittles Granulosa and Oregon Tort next week. I just added a banded shrimp goby so my pistol wont be lonely anymore.

So I will have to do a mini move on the tank but I dont see it being much of a problem. The plan for the "new" tank will be...

New Stand - DONE

ReefKeeper Lite - DONE ( will be here Monday )

New Sump - In works

Tunze ATO - Looking

Drews Doser - Saving

Two MP10's to replace the single MP20 - In the works ;)

Well after trying to upload the videos this is taking FOREVER. Does anyone know a good place to upload them?

-Dave

Just getting the chance to take a look at your update. The stand turned out perfect Dave. Exactly what I had envisioned when we talked about it before. I think on my next tank I would like to emulate that or try and get something very similar to what the Elos tank stands look like. Our house is definitely a comfortable modern with the furniture and that would fit perfect. Really like the light hanger as well.

Sounds like you are going to be getting two great frags. I've always liked the Skittles Granulosa....saw a really sweet mini colony one time and have liked them ever since. So many corals, so little room :) I guess that's why people go larger.

So you're getting the RKL in Monday? You're going to love the little thing....so easy to setup and just conceptually a great piece of equipment.

I've always uploaded my videos to Photobucket or you could always upload to Youtube if you already have an account. I think I may upload to Youtube from now on since they have the HD feature. Just need to get a HD camcorder now :)

They are going. I have been all over the place. I had some troubles with my skimmer and it was acting funny. Ended up I had a packing peanut from when I first got it in the wedge pipe creating to much pack pressure. After a long vinegar bath, I found it and took care of business. I am trying to sell it but who knows. I think there was a little bit of left over vinegar so it may have lowered my PH a little which caused a little bit of stress, but I am sure it will swig back to normal.

Hopefully I will be picking up the Tunze ATO from a reefer off of here. Ordered my top off barrel to go under the new stand. My girlfriend ordered the ReefKeeper the other day, just waiting. I've been busy trying to design my new stand, I just want it stupid simple.

Whacha think of the new stand Adam?

Just getting the chance to take a look at your update. The stand turned out perfect Dave. Exactly what I had envisioned when we talked about it before. I think on my next tank I would like to emulate that or try and get something very similar to what the Elos tank stands look like. Our house is definitely a comfortable modern with the furniture and that would fit perfect. Really like the light hanger as well.

Sounds like you are going to be getting two great frags. I've always liked the Skittles Granulosa....saw a really sweet mini colony one time and have liked them ever since. So many corals, so little room :) I guess that's why people go larger.

So you're getting the RKL in Monday? You're going to love the little thing....so easy to setup and just conceptually a great piece of equipment.

Above is what I posted last week....I think a new page started and you missed it ;)

Come on Dave....better start keeping track of those darn peanuts :P

Oh wow. Thanks for the comments Adam. I've been in that half sick stage for a week, just trying to fight it.

I cant wait to get it up and running. I think I may have the side walls all done with magnets too.

-Dave

No problem Dave. It looks great and deserves the comments...it's going to look great once it's all done.

I hear ya on the half sick stage...my stomach has been gurgling like it's a nitroglycerin plant (Chevy Chase reference) that last couple of days :wacko:

Well after fighting this cold, I've been working hard to sell stuff to fund equipment for the new stand. I have finally gathered everything that I have wanted for sometime.

New stand

iTech 100 - Ordered :D

Tunze ATO

ReefKeeper Lite

I sold a couple frags to fund the gear, but I should be picking up some new ones in a few weeks. I'll be posting pictures sometime next week!

-Dave

Figure I would do a small update. I have battled through and conquered my cold. I also have a couple new goodies.

Tunze Osmolator - I should have picked this up a long time ago... I have a 15G drum ordered for the top off water.

IMG_3729-vi.jpg

The sump I will use. Its 16x16x16 from a friends tank. I plan on taking out the baffles and then cutting it down to 14" Then having two small braces. After that it will just be a box of water :) I am putting a tunze 6025 so none of the detrious can just sit around.

IMG_3730-vi.jpg

I will place the order for the iTech 100 this Monday or if a local guy gets back to me I may pick his Bubble King Mini up :D Its a win win!

I've been planning on buying some frags but with the guy making this stand for me I had to jump the gun and start getting equipment. Divec gave me two small frags of Nuc Greens and Tubs Zoas. Both looked like they were going to die but the I now have 3 polyps of Nucs and the Tubs I have the smallest polyp ever coming back from the dead. It will be really cool to see these come back! Here's a FTS.

IMG_3726-vi.jpg

I had a problem with white slimy bacteria caused by the vodka dosing but it is gone now. I am dosing now...

.7mL vodka

4 drops of MB7

1 drop Lugols every 3 days.

I have been feeding 2-3 times a day so my colors wont fade but I think I may pick some zeo or AA's up.

Well keep posted! Next week should be a good one!

-Dave

wow you new stuff sound like just what you needed but may i ask why your dosing iodine. Years ago i use to dose iodine but info from a wide number of people i was told to stop and heres the reason why.

Iodine dosing is much more complicated than dosing other ions due to its substantial number of different naturally existing forms, the number of different forms that aquarists actually dose, the fact that all of these forms can interconvert in reef aquaria, and the fact that the available test kits detect only a subset of the total forms present. This complexity, coupled with the fact that no commonly kept reef aquarium species are known to require significant iodine, suggests that dosing is unnecessary and problematic.

I have found in my use of iodine more problems then benifits. I have even gone to the extent of not using lugols iodine for any coral dipping rather useing flatworm exit which has been more stable with less chance of causing problem such as white spotting and burning.

sorry to hijack your thread i pass on this advice with the greatest amount of respect.

scott

Thanks Scott. For me it brings out the blues. Not sure if its just me but it looks like it works. I understand with dosing daily that there may be some ill effects but with the small amounts I do I think I may be safe. I'll make sure to keep watch.

-Dave

no problem a while ago when i had no fish in a old 180 of mine i use to dose copper to get my reds to pop problem was they looked great undtil some one else got them and they lost all there bright red color. I don't think one drop is a big deal but if one person does it and more will fallow not knowing what to do and since you have such a nice tank and they want to emulate your corals growth and color

True! I'll put a warning on it :)

Thanks for chiming in and stopping by my thread. I just checked yours out. Nice little collection. Once that Karls Candlelight get larger I may have to snag a frag!

Also I maybe getting some new trimmas and glass cardinals this week!

-Dave

You can have a frag if you what some karls for 25 bucks for a 1" piece i have a whole colony now you and Adam can maybe get a frag pack through me if you would like

Archived