Innovative Marine Aquariums

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

Sorry I didn't get a chance to check the thread til now Dave. Crazy busy Labor Day weekend, isn't it supposed to be the other way around :)

I have been noticing one or two of my pieces getting a little pale as well, especially the Purple Bonsai. The Cali Tort that I have as well as the Setosa have never looked better but for some reason the Bosai and the Superman look just a little duller in color. So do you think we should drop back the Vodka dosage? I have been dosing 2 drops of Coral Amino by Brightwell after noticing that I was losing some color. It's only been a week since first adding and I want to add them slowly. I know how quickly they can cause P04 to increase.

Other than that Dave, your tank and corals look fantastic and the skimmer is just nasty. Although my Remora has been really doing a great job lately, it doesn't pull that super thick gunk out like that :)

You might have to frag me a piece of that Baby's Breath sometime soon. What a great looking coral. Glad to hear that the Superman is taking off....get ready for it to SPREAD like crazy. Great looking piece, isn't it?

Hope you have a great Labor Day man.

-Adam

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Adam - the baby's breath is amazing. Its about to make a few more heads so I will see what I can do. The only other favia I am looking for is the Raptor Peace coral. drool.....

Yea My Setosa is getting way to pale and even close to white. Polyps are still popping out but not how I like. I have cut the vodka off and back to just back to MB7 with only two drops a day.

I am thinking of only dosing the vodka when I see algae and what not in the tank, with how small our tanks are and things changing daily its very hard to get that sweet spot. I guess time will tell! I would cut back half on the vodka Adam, and then test to see the PO4 and NO3. After typing this I may try a weekly vodka dosing with the MB7. Maybe 1mL every Sunday and then 2 drops of MB7 daily. I hate having to dose things to get the colors back when if we didnt dose the vodka we would not have to worry about it!

Hopefully I will be close to getting the new stand up and going, I think I am going to use PVC Foam board on the outside and hold it down with magnets that I just got in. I am also going to get rid of those damn Tunze brackets for the ATO and make custom acrylic magnet holders for them. MUCH easier...

The superman is amazing. Its just baby blue with the bright red polyps and it really has been taking off. My no name acro is really starting to be my favorite now! Kinda looks like IceFire ;)

-Dave

I think that sounds like a great idea on the dosing Dave. I will probably cut back on the vodka and MB7 as well and see if there are any major changes. Like you said, with the small water volumes we're working with, a small amount of vodka should go a long way.

-Adam

Well I have been eying down a new species for the tank. I have been searching for a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel for a bit. About 6-10", the size of a pen in diameter and very peaceful. The search is on!

I need to up my bio-load and I will be looking for a wrasse, helfrichi firefish and some cardinals. :)

Along with my little inverts and smaller guys

-Dave

Well I have been eying down a new species for the tank. I have been searching for a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel for a bit. About 6-10", the size of a pen in diameter and very peaceful. The search is on!

I need to up my bio-load and I will be looking for a wrasse, helfrichi firefish and some cardinals. :)

Along with my little inverts and smaller guys

-Dave

Eel. When you mentioned it before I thought you meant chalice, so I was looking up a Golden Dwarf chalice last night. Haha. Sounds like an interesting creature.

Did you find the mummy eye you've been searching for?

Randy - Yea sorry I had about 3 pitchers of beer when I responded to the PM ;)

I did I should be getting Mummy Eye, Emerald Mummy Eye, Bubble Gum Monster and Dendro this week or the next. So go ahead with going direct with the man. I wish we were closer so things would be easier to buy/sell/trade. I am really working on getting nice stuff in the Triad of NC. Its just hard being a 24 year old with a short amount of experience. Some of these older guys I think look down on me?

But I will be saving for your Hurricane here, maybe I can get it USPS Express too.

The Eel is an amazing creature! Check it out on google.

-Dave

Randy - Yea sorry I had about 3 pitchers of beer when I responded to the PM ;)

I did I should be getting Mummy Eye, Emerald Mummy Eye, Bubble Gum Monster and Dendro this week or the next. So go ahead with going direct with the man. I wish we were closer so things would be easier to buy/sell/trade. I am really working on getting nice stuff in the Triad of NC. Its just hard being a 24 year old with a short amount of experience. Some of these older guys I think look down on me?

But I will be saving for your Hurricane here, maybe I can get it USPS Express too.

The Eel is an amazing creature! Check it out on google.

-Dave

Nah, they're just jealous that you have a longer lifespan to grow out your chalices. Don't let the old cats with the big tanks bully you. They spend so much money maintaining 200 gallons, because they think that's the only way you can keep a successful reef. While you buy the SAME 1/2" frags as they do. On the flip side, your 1/2" frags look larger in your nano tank than in theirs. If that's not enough, just show em your skimmer and they'll bow down instead of look down ;)

No worries, the Hurricane will be here if you want it. Express should work fine. It's a hardy coral. I'll have to look up that eel.

Thanks for stopping by Maeda. It is a BEAST. I saw one used on RC for 300 too.

Man I found a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel but its kinda pricey. I am hoping to grab is but it may be hard. These guys are tiny and very passive. I would like to think this would make me feel like my tank is looking more and more like a reef! Fish, eel's, tons of flow bright and colorful :D

I can only hope!

-Dave

Here's a picture from someone's tank... SO small!

DSC_2442.jpg

Amazing creatures Dave. That would be awesome to have in your tank. How much do those little guys usually run? Not planning on one for my tank as I'm sure my wife would freak out, but just curious :)

They range from 200-300 retail, but who pays retail ;)

The good thing is, they feed easy. And with my super beast skimmer, it should be NO problem to feed this guy a TON! I'm sure my other fish will enjoy it too.

Hopefully with him, 6-8 Longspine cardinals and a wrasse my tank will be full of life. :D

-Dave

I know I found a local guy with a NIB for 85$ too.

Hopefully I can sell a few frags of Setosa and buy two BRS dosers for ALK and CAL.

-Dave

I have some of Er1c's Peace Coral, which is very similar to Raptor Peace Coral.

If I can ever get my tank back in shape and grow it out more, I'd love to trade you for a frag of Baby's Breath.

Here's a couple pics of some Favia's I got from Er1c_the_reefer, including the Peace Coral

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

Dumb question. I think I need to start dosing my C-Balance.

My ALK is a little low 6.5-7 and the CA is a little low.

Should I do a water change then start dosing, or start dosing tm morning and then test in the evening?

Need some help guys!

-Dave

just sayin' wut's up dave.

did someone say mummy eye??

i have some MENG's mummy eye frag.i just looked at my tank.and sending u list tomorrow.

you might be interested on some pieces..

argh,i need some gadgets in my tank.

Should I do a water change then start dosing, or start dosing tm morning and then test in the evening?

Need some help guys!

-Dave

It's really up to you Dave on how you want to start. I dose my 2-part every morning at the same time that I dump in the Vodka and MB7. Since I dose in the morning, I usually test everything in the evenings as I can then get a starting baseline.

Doesn't really matter when you dose/test but I would just try and be consistent. Don't want to test in the morning right after dosing and then try and compare that to the test in the evening.

How have you been dosing so far or have you been just trying to keep things in check with the occasional large dose? In my tank, after getting rid of the larger Milli and some of the other frags, I'm currently dosing 7mL of Ca and Alk daily. Not too painful to dose daily and easy enough to measure out before hand in case you need someone to watch the tank for you. Eventually I will be going the BRS dosing pump route.

PINOY - Thanks for checking it out. I have some really nice frags coming my way. But please send the list :)

Adam - Sounds like a plan. I just woke up and I will be cleaning the tank and dosing. I am going to test this morning before I dose just to see what it is at. The bottle says 5mL per 20 gallons so I am thinking I will start with 10-12mL and go from there.

I need to pick up a CAL test kit today. I've honestly been able to keep everything in check with just the water changes.

-Dave

Well I just got in my 15G reservoir for the Tunze ATO today. Nothing exciting but I'll be able to fill it up and not have to worry about water for over a month.

I'll snap a picture with it under my new stand tonight. I few ideas I have been tossing around on my stand. I think I may use PVC Board to enclose it with magnets. Maybe a little wood trim or keeping the SS showing and polish up....

Whats the vote?

MAN Style - Show SS and have grey/metallic PVC board panels.

Classic Style - Wood trim ( like Elos ) and black PVC board pannels

-Dave

Archived