ReefCleaners.org

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every other day. Frozen cyclo, and a ton of flow!

I am down to two now :(

I started a post on RC about them. One guy with a 250 said he had 20 or so and then they all died over a course of a year.

Off to trying some other ones out..... they were cool while they lasted

Man Dave....really sucks that they keep dwindling down. Maybe they were just not destined for our small reefs. Unfortunate really considering how cool they look.

I need help! What fish should I get? Anthias? Wrasse?

I also found a great deal on a H&S External Skimmer rated for 100g that I plan on getting but I need mine sold!

-Dave

Dave, I have a Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) just to tell you I love the movement that the Wrasse gives to the tank. Constant in and out of the rockwork, standing on it's head investigating some morsel in the sand etc. etc. Just my observation and a little info to help confuse you even more in your selection. :unsure:

Oh yeah on the dark side he did make a meal of my Peppermint shirm and my Pom-Pom crab, but I knew that might happen going in and I would not do anything differently now. I really like this fish.

Pook, I have not (yet???) seen any aggression from my Mystery Wrasse. I have 2 blck occy's, 1 tailspot blenny, and a Bali tiger jawfish in with it. Just sayin.........

Pook, I have not (yet???) seen any aggression from my Mystery Wrasse. I have 2 blck occy's, 1 tailspot blenny, and a Bali tiger jawfish in with it. Just sayin.........

Well, mine leaves all the other fish alone but did chase some of my other wrasses around few times in the beginning. It's not an aggressive fish by any means but will show it's dominance if it's the established one.

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_displa...amp;pcatid=2229

What about this guy. I had a blk/yellow one in the past but I SWEAR he pecked at my SPS. I love them but I'm not sure

-Dave

I think I may have to get a Wrasse of some sort.

maybe there was algae ON your sps? A little peck never really hurt anybody.. unless they've got mouth herpes, but I digress.

Sorry to hear about your parvulus. I hope mine don't waste away slowly over time. -_-

Look closely at my avatar, not just a Koralia. Have never seen it mess with coral but will peck at the rock work, Mine also eats algae sheets along with the wrasse and occy's.

Every time I turn off the powerheads for feeding or pictures he hops in there.

01tailspot.jpg

Well looks like things are working out for once! After shelling out 650 in car repairs I've had some luck!

Sold my current H&S for a external H&S. Rated for 100g! Got a GREAT deal on it too! Also sold my Eheim 1260 for a 1250. I was tired of having a TON of flow through my sump so its slowing down! With this I am building a new sump. Another DIY but this time smaller and WAY simple. I will be running my pump and skimmer external so it should be really simple to clean! I'm going to add a 6025 to the sump to keep anything out of the sump and to be caught by my skimmer. Very excited about all of this! I've thrown the idea around about dosing vodka and adding bacteria but I'm not sure if I'm home enough to keep up with it.

On to the fish.... what does everyone think about this? Yellow Chrysus and a Golden Rombo (sp?). Do you guys think these to guys will get along in my tank? Both are going to be sized small. I am down to two red dot cardinals... so overall awesome looking fish but just not suited for our tanks.

Corals are all looking great! I swear keeping this tank simple is working. Keeping my hands out and just letting things grow, not moving them around and just letting them go is great. I wont post any pictures until I get them sump finished and so you can see grow shots ;)

Let me know what you guys think on the fish!

-Dave

Glad you were able to sell the skimmer Dave...sounds like the one you are getting is going to be a beast. I think overskimming when keeping SPS is a great thing. I know that I kept telling myself that I could get away without a skimmer on my tank, but since adding it two weeks ago, the water has never been clearer, the corals look better, and I can feed a lot more than I used to. Everyone is happy :)

I have always had somewhat of an afinity to wrasses....just always such active fish and they always add a nice splash of color to the tank. I think the Yellow Coris would be a great addition....but what is a Golden Rombo?? Tried to google it and Rombus but came up with pictures of panty hose and some other odd things.

Sounds like a great plan for the sump....I've found after close to 4 years of reefing that simplicity is always better. I've contemplated vodka dosing as well but I really don't want to start tinkering with that and like you, things are going so well that I don't want to monkey with the system. Sometimes just letting things ride for a while is the best for our little reefs.

I am down to two red dot cardinals... so overall awesome looking fish but just not suited for our tanks.

): i'm down to three.

my conclusion is that they need massive amounts of food that passes by them, something that's a little hard with our sps reef tanks.

NEVER SAY NEVER.

I'm goign to attempt 24/7 brine hatching.....

Sorry to hear about your parvulus dave. I'm starting to conclude the same thing.... down to 6.

Ok well the two that I have look more healthy than ever. After being mega-stressed after work I cracked open a beer and watched the tank for a solid hour. This is when I found the two cardinals left eating all the pods/who knows off the back wall. So I'm thinking Maeda, they do have to eat ALL the time. I may try a couple out again once I get the new skimmer.

Well after talking to my buddy at the LFS he can get some of the gobies I wanted to start with. Like I said I always wanted a tank with a ton of little guys...

I few Eviotas, Blue Eye dart and a few trimmas. Ive been throwing the idea for a Leopard Wrasse too.

Here's the new beast! http://finsreef.com/product.php?productid=...=254&page=1

I should have it Monday!

-Dave

after work I cracked open a beer and watched the tank for a solid hour.

Best after work activity for sure :D

About the fish, it sounds like a great combination of different sizes and colors. Should be plenty of activity as well. Glad to hear that the last two are hanging in there for you.

Wanted to post on here too.

I have a huge paintball event next weekend down in Charlotte NC. Well Rock Hill SC at Paintball Central. If any local reefers are around the area come check it out. Ive been playing pro paintball for seven years and have been all over the world for it. This is the first year I have taken off but coming out to play this event with it being so close!

-D

And yes beer and fish tanks. Best past time ever. I dont even need my TV anymore!

I dont have any updated shots. I'll see if I can snap a few. I just got the skimmer in today and going to try and get it set up tonight. The thing looks HUGE compared to my old H&S!

Plan of action is to put on my new Eheim 1250 and skimmer. I have a ton of stuff to do this week before the paintball event but I think I can get it going. I also should be getting a couple of the smaller gobies this week along with maybe a pom pom crab. I am hoping this new pump will slow down my sump a ton so I can have crystal clear water!

-Dave

Updates!

Well the new skimmer rocks and is huge! It was already skimming stuff after 30 minutes. The new pump makes it so there are zero microbubbles and I dont need a filter sock.

Yes I have web toes ;)

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

See the growth....with my awesome pictures....

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

I am also getting these little guys

http://qualitymarine.com/Products/Fish/Wil...ana/Red-Striper

http://qualitymarine.com/Products/Fish/Wil...i/Blue-Eye-Dart

http://qualitymarine.com/Products/Inverteb...sis-sp./Pom-Pom

-Dave

New skimmer looks like a real beast Dave. Glad to hear that the microbubbles are no longer. I know what a pain they can be to try and get rid of.

Great new shots of the tank as well. Looks like all of the frags have really based out nicely....should be shooting outward soon. Just go ahead and crack off one of those Hawkins branches and send it my way...I can almost hear it calling you "Dave....please crack me off and send me South to Charleston." :)

Looks like you decided on some great livestock additions....always thought the Trimmas were a really cool small fish. I've only seen one Pom Pom in real life and they are too cool...waving their anemones like a cheerleader.

Thanks Adam,

The cool thing to do it look at older shot and see how much the Setosa and Efflo have grown. The Setosa is shooting branches everywhere and the efflo is basing out QUICK! The Purple Bonsai has been in basing mode too! The Hawkins is getting there, its just taking longer to color up, but the tips are ULTRA blue ( this was the frag from pook that was a little browned out but I love bringing corals back to life ).

After the paintball event this weekend I will be helping my friend more his tank ( ugh! ) and I will be getting a frag of my old war coral ( its now a 8x8 square ). After that I am just wanting to pick up the Tyree PWM and dendro from pook!

The fish should be really cool hiding in my rock/corals and the Pom Pom out at night. My two cardinals look super fat so maybe they will last...

-Dave

Archived