Innovative Marine Aquariums

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like all of your parts and pieces are slowly coming together Dave. Should be exciting to see what you end up with the skimmer, either one is going to be smoking on this tank I'm sure.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Tubs and Nucs make a comeback for you...that would be awesome.

If you ever want to go in on a pack from Scotty just let me know. I'm mainly looking for LPS for the time-being.

I'll have to wait a few weeks but I will let you guys know.

Well no more updates until mid next week. Keep everyone in suspense! ;)

-Dave

iTech in tomorrow :D

Also I am going to pick up a gravel vac, I've been hearing good things about doing that to your sand. Figure I'll do that tm along with the H20 change. See what this skimmer is made of! I'll have plenty of pictures.

-Dave

Sweet.

Let me know how the gravel vac works Dave. I have been considering doing that at least once every 2 weeks after seeing that some other successful reefers do it (SunnyX for example). Which one did you get?

Just a cheap easy one. Not sure on the brand name. I am going to do it with the new skimmer so I can see what its made of :)

ITECH IN!!!!! I will have pictures tonight/today. Its a BEAST!

-Dave

I now introduce you to iTech 100!

First impressions... DEAD silent, I barely hear the moving water, the pump sounds like its not doing anything! This is amazing after using the aquabea pump, being kinda noisy at times. The build quality is awesome. It has screws at the bottom of the skimmer so you can clean all that too. Very easy to put together.

John, who runs the show was great to deal with. Responds to all my emails within 30 minutes and explains everything very well. I am a very happy customer. I just cant wait to get this thing to start skimming!

le pictures...

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

-Dave

IMG_3720.jpg

I REALLY LIKE THIS STAND. Excellent craftsmanship. Care to give me your friend's contact info, so I can give him some business?

Oh and let me know how the iTech works out for you. I'm looking at getting a cone skimmer for my next tank.

iTech looks great Dave. Even from the pictures, you can tell that there is some quality craftsmanship that goes into their products.

How did the sand bed vacuuming go?

I now introduce you to iTech 100!

OMG ... That skimmer is HAWT!!! Those cone skimmers look great! Going to be watching to read your impressions over it over time ... I really am thinking of upgrading my Euroreef to one of these ... Costly skimmers ... but WELL worth the money I am sure!

Adam & DCG - The skimmer is really nice. Compared to other cone skimmers it was WAY cheaper. I ended up spending 450 on the skimmer body and pump. You can tell that its starting to break in and have a consistent bubble level. Hopefully in a week or so it will be doing work.

Adam - I have not done a water change yet. I may wait for the skimmer to break in so I know it will get it all out. Your barrel will be there tm too!

Here's a few pictures I snapped too. Thought they turned out pretty good.

Banded Goby and Pistol, I dont think I have ever posted these guys!

IMG_3744-vi.jpg

IMG_3747-vi.jpg

War Coral Has been growing very fast!

IMG_3751-vi.jpg

The survivor! Tubs!

IMG_3755-vi.jpg

This morning.... SO many fine bubbles

IMG_3760-vi.jpg

-Dave

Nice new pictures of the Pistol/Goby pair. Have you been spot feeding the War Coral or has it just been doing its thing on its own? Great growth for sure.

Looks like the Tubs are hanging on by a teeny tiny thread....hopefully they will make it for you.

That's some seriously fine bubble production....looks like that thing is going to be doing some serious skimming shortly.

I dont really feed my corals. I just toss an entire cube of brine or mysis and let nature take its course.

There was no Tubs on it about a month ago.... I guess a tiny piece of tissue was there and it has been growing. VERY excited as these are my fav zoas.

I always see pictures of skimmers that produce bubbles like that and now I have one! I think this will help even more on the MB7/vodka dosing.

I hope to work on my stand this weekend. I head out for the Outer Banks next week too!

-Dave

Skimmer is still kicking in. I keep forgetting that I have only had it up for 36 hours :P The tank hasnt been this clear ever though. So its doing it job.

Im guessing that something spawned a million snails. I have a ton all of a sudden.

I've been having a little trouble with aptasia lately and thinking about trying some Berghias out. Lately I have been on a natural course for my tank :)

-Dave

Anyone going to MACNA this year in NC? I really want to go one day. Maybe Sunday for all the great deals!

Adam - Road trip ;)

-Dave

Anyone going to MACNA this year in NC? I really want to go one day. Maybe Sunday for all the great deals!

Adam - Road trip ;)

-Dave

I'd love to go man. Let me look into the dates and location. That would be awesome!!!

EDIT -- Looks like it's in Atlantic City???

It is in Atlantic City. Maybe a trip up Sat stay all Sunday and then head back that night...

Anyways I burned the HELL out of my hand making dinner last night. I love to cook but did my first rookie move, held a cast iron skillet that just came out of 500 degree oven for about 5-6 seconds. Needless to say I have a good 2nd degree burn.

I was going to try and start my stand but it will have to wait until my hand is ok. The guy who made my stand said he could make a shell for a new lighting fixture. So I could copy a Powermodule and make it 6 bulbs and black :)

As for corals I found a local guy selling a pink/orange Rhizo for a STEAL. I may have to pick it up and put it in the back.

I'll post some pictures in a week or so, I'll be in the Outer Banks this week! Yahoo

-Dave

Well I havent been updating lately. I hooked my Tunze Osmolator up so now I feel 10X better about going to the beach. The only problem is I wont have anyone dosing the MB7/vodka for a few day Thurs-Sun. Should not be to worried though.

iTech is kicking ass. This baby is a BEAST!

Big news, I started a local growout for a few chalices. Needless to say I will have completed my collection I've been wanting... Here's the list :D

Tyree Mummy Eye

Tyree Bubble Gum Monster

Dendro

Icefire

-Dave

Where did you end up picking the Icefire up from? With you and Randy now getting them, guess I'll have to bump you guys from my list :P

Wish I could have gotten in on the grow-out action. Maybe we can go in on something in the future.

Well I havent been updating lately. I hooked my Tunze Osmolator up so now I feel 10X better about going to the beach. The only problem is I wont have anyone dosing the MB7/vodka for a few day Thurs-Sun. Should not be to worried though.

iTech is kicking ass. This baby is a BEAST!

Big news, I started a local growout for a few chalices. Needless to say I will have completed my collection I've been wanting... Here's the list :D

Tyree Mummy Eye

Tyree Bubble Gum Monster

Dendro

Icefire

-Dave

Local growout is a smart way to go about it. I should get some people together to do the same thing here. Save some money.

Where did you end up picking the Icefire up from? With you and Randy now getting them, guess I'll have to bump you guys from my list :P

Wish I could have gotten in on the grow-out action. Maybe we can go in on something in the future.

LOL. Everyone will have a piece of the IceFire very very soon. Conservation of the species is a good thing though ;)

Little update. I just got back from Outer Banks and everything looks good. My purple bonsai had a little alk spike and the base got a little hit, but it looks like it will bounce back.

I picked up a Tunze ATO and its SO nice not having to worry about my water level not. The iTech is working like a dream and has been skimming even better. I placed a K1 in the sump to stir up everything and its doing its job.

I am not sure what is going on with my Setosa but it looks really pale. I have stopped dosing vodka until I pick some AA's up. I think I have been starving my corals. Any suggestions?

Anyways here's some picture for you guys, these are all taken with a Canon point a shoot and I think they turned out great. No doctoring either!

WM has 2 new eyes, Babys breath is about to spit some new heads and the lords have doubled!

IMG_3773-vi.jpg

ATL Cap, Superman ( growing FAST ), Blue green Acro ( I love this thing )

IMG_3775-vi.jpg

Setosa ( looking pale :( ), Hawkins, red Planet ( impossible to snap a good picture )

IMG_3777-vi.jpg

iTech 100 - After 4 days with no feeding while I was away AWESOME!

IMG_3784-vi.jpg

IMG_3785-vi.jpg

IMG_3790-vi.jpg

IMG_3789-vi.jpg

-Dave

Archived