Coral Vue Hydros

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

Good looking tank, it has tons of potential. I've been doing the vodka / MB7 / AA / potassium / sponge power / koral color thing for 3 or 4 months in my tank with great results. Don't get too crazy with the vodka, it really doesn't take very much for it to be effective.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you guys, Dave & Adam. Were you having water clarity issues before adding the MB7? Reason for asking is I don't think it is chemically possible to increase the clarity in my water now. Just wondering if your water clarity issues might be due to something else - like bacteria cycle.

Can only speak for myself here, but I wouldn't say that I was having water quality or clarity "issues," but I can saywith a fair amount of certainty that the water "appears" to be more crystal clear now. It reminds me of when I used to run Phosban and Carbon on my old systems and how clear the water looked when I would change out the media.

I bet you can't get your water much clearer...you and your darn ADA glass :)

Can only speak for myself here, but I wouldn't say that I was having water quality or clarity "issues," but I can saywith a fair amount of certainty that the water "appears" to be more crystal clear now. It reminds me of when I used to run Phosban and Carbon on my old systems and how clear the water looked when I would change out the media.

Great. Sounds promising!

I bet you can't get your water much clearer...you and your darn ADA glass :)

LOL. I don't have the "high clarity" ADA glass. They don't make it for my sized tank. Thinking starfire is clearer (but that would be another topic. hehe)

Yes I never had issues but I can see a difference. I'm no scientist but the bacteria takes out all the crap that floats in the tank ( hell if I know what it is ). I believe I am getting better colors and better polyp extension because more light is able to pass through and the water is more clean. Hell if I know but its working!

Purple Up - Just try it! Its only 7$ and does not have any ill effects.

Glenn - Thanks for stopping by! I'm only thinking that I'll use 2mL of vodka when I am all finished. What are you dosing?

Adam - I know about the dosing. I visited my buddies tank and they are easy and great, but 90$... Superman is growing already and looking better and better each day. Its catches my eye right after my Setosa. That thing just GLOWS!

I have been testing my water now and I'm looking good. Alk - 7 Trates - 0 P04 .2

I still need a Calcium test kit but working on that.

-Dave

Glad the Superman frag is doing great for you. I experience the same thing....the Setosa is so orange it clearly sticks out on the left side of my tank but the Superman is a close second...the red polyps set against the nice blue base are just super nice.

I cut my doseage down to 1.6ml. I was up to 3ml but started seeing my corals fade quite a bit. Since cutting it in half all of my sps are coloring back up and growing like weeds. In fact, I'm starting to wish I didn't have to get rid of the tank. Unfortunately it's gotta go, and will probably be broken down in the next couple of weeks.

I cut my doseage down to 1.6ml. I was up to 3ml but started seeing my corals fade quite a bit. Since cutting it in half all of my sps are coloring back up and growing like weeds.

Interesting. I wonder if your SPS would have colored back by eliminating it completely? It's tough to know for sure unless a controlled experiment is performed. I'm just a little concerned with adding too much to the water. Elos A.A. and "Pro Skimmer" are already being added daily - and I worry about dosing too much of that, so I only drop half (or less than half) of what's recommended. However, I wouldn't mind if my SPS were MORE COLORFUL. Perhaps all I need is an more efficient bulb though. Hmmm. Won't start dosing MB7 just yet, but I'll be tagging along. In time, I'm sure I'll be convinced :)

SeeDemTails

Cheap vodka doesnt work, my corals prefer Belvedere. :P

Tank looks great, if you ever want to do a trade I will hook you up good for a piece of that pink polyp cap!

Well I have been swamped the past week and havent been able to update. I have planning an upgrade but this wont happen for until 2010. I am planning on a DIY peninsula tank 40x30x15 external overflow. Still all T5's with a larger Sunpower. Custom Stand, DIY Sump, my H&S Skimmer, (2) MP40w's and an upgraded Eheim pump. Very simple rock work with plenty of room for growing out and fish to swim. The main focus is for nano inverts and fish with symbitic relationships. A few that I really want to try out...

Commensal Crabs ( Acro Crab ) on various Acros

Crinoid with feather dusters and other fan like corals.

Yellow Stripe Clingfish/Long Spine Urchin

Yasha Goby/Pistol

Clown/Anemone

Glass Anemone Shrimp/Duncans,Ane, and will clean fish

Trimma/Neon/Evotia Goby/ Various Acros

I would like a school of 10-20 Longspine/Glass Eye Cardinals.

Anyways, my tank is doing great. I have started to dose the vodka on Sat and I am on the third day. I know this will take time but the tank has been looking great with the MB7/Vodka and Lugols drops.

I'll throw some pictures up this coming weekend.

-Dave

I didn't know you were adding Lugol's as well, I find this interesting.

What prompted you to try that, and what is your reasoning behind it?

Do you test for iodine?

How many drops of Lugol's do you add, and how frequently?

I do one drop every four days. Ive read around that it brings some blues out. I do not test.

I know my hawkins is looking more and more blue! So something must be doing ok.

-Dave

Love the idea for the new tank Dave ;) It will be one heck of a setup since you are planning it all out in advance.

I'd like to hear your reasoning behind the Lugol's as well. Also, can you elaborate more on your Vodka dosing scheme (how much did you start with, how much are you increasing by, what are your parameters, etc.)? I would ask you in PM but figure others might benefit from the info. as well.

-Adam

I'll test/post everything when I get home from work.

Cleaned my skimmer and all this morning too, most gnarly crap ever....

Keep Posted.

-Dave

Ok here's some results...

Before I was dosing anything...

Nitrates - 10

PO4 - .25

Alk - 7.5

Dosing the MB7/Lugols for two weeks ( 14 days ) to seed the tank before Vodka dosing. This will make it so once the bacteria has nothing else to use up, the vodka comes into play. I also dose a drop of Lugols every four days. Some of the soft corals in the tank can use the iodine and SunnyX on RC swears that it brings blues out. I am a believer now, my only blue corals are looking better and better. Not sure if its the cleaner tank or the Lugols, either way its staying :D

6 drops of MB7/ Lugols once every 4 days

Nitrates - 10

PO4 - .05?

Alk - 7

Dosing MB7/Lugols/Vodka ( 4 days )

Vodka - .2mL

MB7 - 4 drops

Lugols - Once every 4 days

Nitrates - 5

PO4 - .02? ( this has been going down, it is suppose to take a long time but they have been coming down the past few months ).

Alk - 7.5

Just started the .4mL of vodka too. I have been following the chart for 80 proof. I know I have just started but so far I have been taking things slowly. Everything has been looking better than ever. When I hit .01 PO4 and undetectable nitrates I will leave it at that. I am also feeding more which I think is a huge benefit for the fish and corals. Spectrum pellets in the morning and a cube of Mysis/Brine at night.

Off of RC

"The addition of vodka/ethanol is thought to increase bacterial biomass. For this, vodka addition would result in bacterial growth and reproduction. During this process nutrients in the water (including NO3 and PO4) are taken up for the formation of new macromolecules that are needed in cell synthesis and viability. Due to this rapid growth and reproduction, NO3 and PO4 can drop quickly from detectable levels by most test kits on the market. The increased biomass of the bacteria leads to a notable increase in skimmate production, removing more waste than without vodka addition. The increased skimmate is thought to remove the bacteria or bacterial biproducts that have assimilated the NO3 and PO4 within the water column leading to NO3 and PO4 depletion."

I hope this helps some people out. Like I have said, I am NO scientist but this has been working. Dont be afraid of all this "complicated" stuff, just take it one step at a time and watch :) If your still iffy just subscribe to my thread and see how it works out!

-Dave

Also does anyone know a good site to do free 3D rendering? I want to sketch up my new toy :D

If you need some help with the dosing, just shoot me a PM, I wont bite ;)

-Dave

And some pictures I found after researching some inverts. My head going to blow up with all of my ideas!!!

School of Cardinals

bangi.jpg

Glass Shrimp

cowrie5.jpg

My fav picture ( how many crabs )

crab3.jpg

Maybe even an angler ( looks how small )

frogfish5.jpg

Squat Lobster

hairy.jpg

Goby

goby2.jpg

-Dave

Uhuru - From what I have read there is no need. Of course people have said that the vodka will only focus on one set of bacteria, but from the tanks I have seen with bacteria/Vodka have looked great. Plus it makes things way easier to keep up with.

Hows the larger tank coming?

-Dave

It sounds like we are on a similar dosing routine. Although dosing Lugols does bring out blues, I've noticed that dosing Warner Marine potassium works even better. Just an idea.....

Thanks for the info Dave. Had an all day meeting so didn't have a chance to read and comment. Will take a closer look at the info and pics tomorrow.

-Adam

Cool Adam

Looks like the mods or someone took down the char I had up...

Breaking it down to this.... 80 proof

.2mL ( 1-3 days )

.4mL ( 4-7 days )

.8mL ( 8-11 days )

1.6mL ( 12-13 days )

Double until you reach your "sweet" spot.

-Dave

Great information Dave...thanks for taking the time to write it all out here on your thread. I am going to pick up a Nitrate and Phosphate test later this week and probably start with the Vodka this coming Friday (which will be 2 weeks of MB7 'seeding').

It sounds like I should look into Potassium and possibly Lugol's to bring out some of the blues as well....although with my Tort, I'm not sure how deeper of a blue it can get.

Great pictures of the inverts you're looking into as well. That lobster is just amazing!!!

As I've looked more and more at sites like Glass-box design with Japanese tanks, it would be incredible to have a tank dedicated to Gorgonians and other Azooxanthellae (non-photosynthetic) coral and inverts.

Check out this blog post and videos if you haven't already...pretty stunning : Azooxanthellae

I really want to have a true mixed reef on my next tank. There are SO many things out there. I talked to my contact on the base of the stand and already have that being made! Getting the quote on acrylic today also. Even though I wont be able to do much for a while after that. My ideas on the upgrade...

40x30x15Sump

25x15x15 Sump

Tunze 6025 in sump

Two MP20's to be upgraded to MP40w's

Eheim 1260

8 36" T5's I may try and do a DIY fixture to look like a black Sunpower :)

Tunze ATO

Bulk Reef Supply Dosers

15g Holding Barrel under tank for ATO

I am still tossing around the idea of a skimmer. I've honestly even thought about a BK :)

-Dave

Archived