inTank Media Baskets

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

Very nice Dave!

Great Pics!

What paly's are those? Grandis Palythoa?

The tank looks awesome Dave!

They are Nuclear Green Palythoa. Not nearly as big as Palythoa grandis...they're just next to a Favites pentagona which has smaller polyps than most Favia.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are nights that I come home after work and just cant believe how cool it is to have a reef tank. To think that you have a "tropical zone" inside your house when it is 27 degree's just blows me away. Tonight I came home from work and just stared at the tank. I look to my left and see that the eel has moved to the left rock! I forgot to feed him a couple days and now he's on the prowl. I thawed a shrimp and put it on the side of the tank that he normally feeds from. This was the COOLEST thing I have seen my tank. I was able to snap some pictures of him moving from the left rock to the right and here's the series. Its SO hard to catch him going across with how quick and ninja like he is!

THE HUNT

feeding1-vi.jpg

feeding2-vi.jpg

feeding3-vi.jpg

feeding4-vi.jpg

feeding5-vi.jpg

feeding6-vi.jpg

feeding7-vi.jpg

feeding8-vi.jpg

feeding9-vi.jpg

feeding10-vi.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

-Dave

I hope this isn't inappropriate, but for some reason while looking at that sequence of pictures of the eel hunting, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy came to mind...

So heres a video of a Benjamin Franklin impersonator playing a glass armonica.

...no? how about

http://brianpeppersno.ytmnd.com/ :lol:

*edit

+1 "There are nights that I come home after work and just cant believe how cool it is to have a reef tank."

The eel series is incredible Dave. I'm right there with you....sometimes we get so bent out of shape trying to get things just right that we forgot how awesome it is to have a small slice of the "reef" in our homes, offices, rooms.

Simply amazes me.

Adam - Thanks! I just think its time to upgrade!

As for the LED's. I am trying to start a small business for a few accessories and lighting units. I'll make sure to keep everyone posted on here. I have some new stuff but I need to wait until I post more pictures. I wish the economy was better so things would not be so hard for me to get it going. I promise you guys will be in the know before anyone else :)

-Dave

Everything has been smooth sailing. My tank is due for a super cleaning here soon so I need to do that sooner rather than later. My ALK doser had a small air bubble which caused it to feed less ALK in the tank. My ALK was down to 6.5 but I have it back to 8, I hope to get it back to 9-10 in a week or two. The aptasia is going to kill me but I am looking into 5-6 adult berghia nudibraches to take care them.

As for the new tank I've had so many other projects that it has been the last thing to think about. I am trying to start a small company for LED lighting and other reactors for nano tanks and I figured why cant I showcase what I can do. This is what I sketched up in google sketch ( this is my first sketch too :) ).

I plan on a step bookcase that will function as furniture and fish stand. The plumbing will all be hidden and the equipment below the first tank. First tank will be the largest at 30x18x14 and be the shallow reef. Second tank a mangrove biotope 18x18x15. Last will be either an maxi mini anemone tank or NPS tank. Each will feature my LED fixture and all will be feed by the chilled reactor I am working on. The stand will be power coated off white and the shelf's will be a light birch.

I know I have changed my mind a thousand times but with my LED fixtures and focus on custom small tanks this only seems right!

3tear.png

Let me know your thoughts!

-Dave

looks interesting, flows down from one to the next. hmmmmmmmm

the plumbing could be fun. how do you plan to setup the overflows?

Thanks Phoenix.

bitts - I dont think I wold have it flow from one to another only because if something happened :( The plumbing would be done with overflow boxes internal or external. I would either run three Eheims or one 1260 on a manifold for all three. I would hide the plumbing also with the steel.

Anyone else?

-Dave

Congrats on the six-line...one of my all time favorite fish.

I think your setup looks really unique and well laid out. I'm sure you'll find things that need to be changed once you actually get into putting it together (isn't that always the way it works out :) ). I like the idea of the tanks fitting together to make it look like they're part of the decor instead of just 3 random tanks on a wall.

Really should highlight those new "products."

How's the eel been doing?

-Adam

Yea there are still a few things to finalize but I think that is a start.

The eel is doing great. Its amazing to train an animal that lived in the ocean to feed every day around 6-7 PM. If I dont feed him he looks around like, " what are you doing fool!".

-Dave

Thanks Spanko. I will be keeping this tank and part of the bookshelf collection :). Its just been SO good to me I cant get rid of it. I will snap another FTS, you will be amazed that its grown since then!

-Dave

Deleted User 6
If I dont feed him he looks around like, " what are you doing fool!".

-Dave

next step is he comes after you in your sleep that one time you forget...

mwuahaha

now go vote for my R2R POTM entry :lol:

next step is he comes after you in your sleep that one time you forget...

mwuahaha

no that would be an octopus. scary buggers.

anyway dave exo's sound awesome. cant wait to see what you come up with.

have posted some of my scketchup doddles of exo's. take a look, if you think they may be helpfull could put them up on google for you. find my exo with return fed cloosed loop thread.

bitts - Shoot me a link to your stuff.

Well I did a huge cleaning of the tank. Pulled the Vortech, iTech, Ehiem out and cleaned them all. Everything is working 10x better now. My ALK is back to 9 and the corals look GREAT.

I updated my blog on LED lighting so you guys should go check it out! ;)

-Dave

Archived