Cultivated Reef

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

Weetie knows her stuff! If you go the DIY route like I did, I can gladly guide you through it. Otherwsie, gold star for Weeties find/link, hehe!!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay Weetie! you saved the day! :lol:

Matt, if I do DIY I'll definitely have you help me lol. I have no clue on how to wire stuff.

Well I decided to paint the inside of my stand using black krylon fusion spraypaint. Doesn't look spectacular but I ran out of polyurethane spray.

Took a picture but you can't really see much inside:

10.jpg

So I was curious on what to put on top of the stand for the tank to sit on. I bought cupboard liner - like the mesh looking foamy stuff. Would that be okay to put under the tank? I read somewhere that you should put foam of some sort under the tank.

B)

Yeah, cabinet/cupboard liner is fine. I actually have that under my 10g custom AIO tank. Works perfectly and you can't even tell it's there!

B)

Yeah, cabinet/cupboard liner is fine. I actually have that under my 10g custom AIO tank. Works perfectly and you can't even tell it's there!

Great! I was hoping it would be okay :happy:

B)

10g AIO? Link/pichures or it never happened :P. I was wondering what you've been up to...

The stand and tank both look great. Have you thought about how you're going to hang the light once you build it?

Well honestly, I'm not sure. I have drop ceilings so I could cut small holes in the tile and drill it to the actual ceiling above the tiles but that might look stupid. If I don't do that, I might get an aluminum rod of some sort and bend it and drill holes into it and somehow bracket it to the back of the stand. I really want to hang it from the ceiling though...

Well, I might as well post a couple pics of my baby onyx clowns

Here's a pic of when they first were added to the tank. (crappy photo)

clowns.jpg

Here's a recent pic - the one is starting to get some black. It's the larger one of the two so it'll prob end up being the female. It hosts the hammer and doesn't let the other one in with it. :P They bicker a lot!

031109.jpg

Awesome shots its sweet to see little clowns hosting

Yeah they took to the hammer as soon as I put them in my tank. The second day the larger one claimed it for itself. lol.

You Tank and stand look awesome very well done.

As for your comment on it not being level I do have a suggestion for you. You could add adjustable casters, I suggest the ones used for a fridge simply because of the weight of a 20G Tank. This way you can slowly adjust the height of the casters once the tank is on the stand.

- Put tank on the stand add about 3 to 6 inches of water.

- Once the water is in the tank you can see that the water line is not flat.

- Adjust caster height until it is flat.

I do hope this helps. I did this with my 24G JBJ. I have very uneven floors.

10g AIO? Link/pichures or it never happened :P. I was wondering what you've been up to...

The link is in my sig, but I'll link it here too. My 10g custom AIO. B) You can ask me away on it in my thread to keep Kimberly's uncluttered, but in a nutshell I recently moved and the tank isn't currently in a "permanent" state, so it's not looking too good these days. :( Also linked in my sig is my 30g main tank as well.

Well, I might as well post a couple pics of my baby onyx clowns

clowns.jpg

031109.jpg

Great pics, Kimberly!! :)

You Tank and stand look awesome very well done.

As for your comment on it not being level I do have a suggestion for you. You could add adjustable casters, I suggest the ones used for a fridge simply because of the weight of a 20G Tank. This way you can slowly adjust the height of the casters once the tank is on the stand.

- Put tank on the stand add about 3 to 6 inches of water.

- Once the water is in the tank you can see that the water line is not flat.

- Adjust caster height until it is flat.

I do hope this helps. I did this with my 24G JBJ. I have very uneven floors.

Wow that's a great idea! Yeah my floors are terrible - I'm on the bottom floor apartment and I have cement under the flooring and it's very uneven in spots. I'll have to look into those when I get the supplies for my door. Thanks! :)

How are they adjusted? ?

I love the Clowns, they look great!

Glad I could help in the lighting dept, esp. since I'm really enjoying watching this build come together.

I like that adjustable caster idea, I may use it myself since I have the same issue with uneven floors.

I love the Clowns, they look great!

Glad I could help in the lighting dept, esp. since I'm really enjoying watching this build come together.

I like that adjustable caster idea, I may use it myself since I have the same issue with uneven floors.

Thanks Weetie! This build has been enjoyable for me - well, not every moment, there were some frustrations along the way - but it gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing that I put it all together myself and I have something original. The build has been going slower than I wanted and I had to put in on a complete hold when I lost my job. But thankfully, I got a new job and I start monday so once I get caught up, everything is back on! :happydance:

I totally know what you mean.

I've been trying to work on my own build/upgrade, but I've been running into so many roadblocks it's driving me nuts.

So I just use builds like yours for a little vicarious enjoyment. :happy:

Yes, I said it, I'm USING you!!!

I totally know what you mean.

I've been trying to work on my own build/upgrade, but I've been running into so many roadblocks it's driving me nuts.

So I just use builds like yours for a little vicarious enjoyment. :happy:

Yes, I said it, I'm USING you!!!

Lol that's perfectly okay! That's why I was so detailed in everything I posted because I want it to help others that want to build their own tank.

Maybe you guys can learn from my mistakes :D

I'm bored so I thought I'd post what I'm getting at the fragswap in 2 weeks (not my pictures)

Hawaiin ding dang PE

hawaiian_dingdangPE.jpg

Pink stardust

pinkstardust2.jpg

unknown

unknown.jpg

also trying to get candy apple redds & mary janes. :happy:

Well I definitely need to get this new tank up. I'm having some problems with my 10g. :( First off, it's so crowded and jam-packed that I have absolutely no room and I have to watch that nothing gets moved by something because it'll meet it's maker. -_- Well today I was cleaning and I saw that I needed to top-off and feed my fish so around noon I went over to my tank and my 5-headed hammer fell out of the crevice it was in and landed on a big colony of eagle eyes. :o The eagle eyes actually look okay-just irritated but I think I'm gonna lose a head or two of the hammer. I can honestly tell my one clown is upset because it keeps trying to lay in it and the hammer is sliming so it keeps swimming over to the frogspawn. I need to glue stuff down but I don't think that'll be a good idea till it's all in my new tank. I hate having no options for scaping if stuff is glued down. :(

Lol I'm just venting. :P luckily, I had carbon running in my fuge so nothing else looks irritated. Plus on another note, my PC fixture has been great to me - keeping low-light sps nice and colored and has given me good growth but it's met it's 8 or 9 month mark and some things are starting to lose color so I need to get my new light asap than to get new bulbs for this thing. I haven't decided if I wanted to keep it or sell it.

Sorry to hear that, I'm having the same problem with my 20L.

How much longer do you think it will take you to get the new build up?

Sorry to hear that, I'm having the same problem with my 20L.

How much longer do you think it will take you to get the new build up?

Well I need at least 10lbs of LR, a pump, some plumbing, and my light. I could get dead LR and seed it and it would be cheaper but it would take longer to cycle. Maybe I can get a good deal on craigslist for $2-3/lb of LR. I'm just getting a Maxijet for now for a pump so they are reasonably priced. I'm doing flexible tubing for plumbing and I just need to make a durso drain or gurgle buster for the overflow. Then the light so I'm guessing it'll cost about $300 to get it up and running. I owe money for local taxes so I have to pay those first so maybe within the next month or 2. :( Not soon enough lol. Actually what I might do is use my PC fixture until I get my MH setup. That way it'll be up my next month sometime. I was just weary on setting any weight on the tank since it's rimless.

That's kinda like me, I still need to get my 30g tank back up after having moved 3 months ago!! I'm so lazy, but I attribute much of it to not being around on the weekends much which is really the only time i can work on it. I plan for progress this weekend however. B)

since I am getting that Vortech..I will have 2 Hydor K#1 and a Nano I wont be using anymore. Better option then a Maxijet..more flow and not as ugly :P cheap to..

That's kinda like me, I still need to get my 30g tank back up after having moved 3 months ago!! I'm so lazy, but I attribute much of it to not being around on the weekends much which is really the only time i can work on it. I plan for progress this weekend however. B)

Lol 3 months isn't long at all! It could be much worse! Weekends are my time too for my tank. That's when I do my water changes because when I come home from work, I don't even want to do anything to my tank exept top-off and swipe the algae away lol.

So now you have just your AIO acrylic tank up right?

since I am getting that Vortech..I will have 2 Hydor K#1 and a Nano I wont be using anymore. Better option then a Maxijet..more flow and not as ugly :P cheap to..

Wow thanks! I do have a K1 already but I could probably use another for more flow in my display so I might just take you up on that. I was actually referring to a maxijet return pump though. You wouldn't happen to have an unused pump lying around would you? :D

no sorry..I got an aquaclear 50 but it wouldnt work as a sump pump..its my mixing salt pump..there is no way to connect a hose as I cut off the end of it so it had a wider flow

Archived