inTank Media Baskets

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you! I hope it holds! :P

I honestly have no idea what kind of pump! I just learned yesterday that external ones existed. :mellow:

I'm gonna be keeping all types.

Really?? Well that's ok. The "new" MaxiJet utility pumps are pretty nice I hear, not too pricey (on sale at DrFS right now in fact) and can be used either externally or submerged in the tank. QuietOne and Mag pumps are also good and some models can be both either external or submerged as well...

Really?? Well that's ok. The "new" MaxiJet utility pumps are pretty nice I hear, not too pricey (on sale at DrFS right now in fact) and can be used either externally or submerged in the tank. QuietOne and Mag pumps are also good and some models can be both either external or submerged as well...

Those look very reasonable! Now I'm just a lil unsure about what size to get.. :huh:

Those look very reasonable! Now I'm just a lil unsure about what size to get.. :huh:

Well it depends on how much flow you want. The 1100 should be fine though I'd think. The 1800 would be fine too, but it'll be twice as much flow almost. They are adjustable though, so you could say get the 1800 and crank down the flow for now, then crank it up as your tank changes and demands you prefer change... Tough choice choice though which one to get.

The 1800 would give you roughly 23 times of water turn-over per hour. Idk about you but I like so much flow in my tanks that detritus never gets a chance to settle. Although, is there going to be any other means of flow in the tank, maybe a Vortec?

not_sponsored

The return pump maximum is determined by your overflow pipe size and linear overflow size. Since your overflow is fairly long the limiting factor will be the overflow pipe size, 1" PVC can handle about 500 GPH safely, I would go less to accommodate for any unforeseen factors. I would go with an eheim 1250, you don't want the flow in your tank to be powered by your return pump, that's what powerheads are for.

The 1800 would give you roughly 23 times of water turn-over per hour. Idk about you but I like so much flow in my tanks that detritus never gets a chance to settle. Although, is there going to be any other means of flow in the tank, maybe a Vortec?

Yeah, I planned on a Koralia Nano or 2

The return pump maximum is determined by your overflow pipe size and linear overflow size. Since your overflow is fairly long the limiting factor will be the overflow pipe size, 1" PVC can handle about 500 GPH safely, I would go less to accommodate for any unforeseen factors. I would go with an eheim 1250, you don't want the flow in your tank to be powered by your return pump, that's what powerheads are for.

oh okay. I planned on using flex-tubing - Would that work?

very nice, i cant beleive those drilled holes are so close together and the glass didnt crack.

I don't know exactly how it's done, but a huge machine does it by computer. They wouldn't have been able to do it if the glass was any thinner

i love starphire glass!!! you have great taste and nice build, keep us posted. have you decided if you're going to put teeth on the overflow or just leave it like that?

i love starphire glass!!! you have great taste and nice build, keep us posted. have you decided if you're going to put teeth on the overflow or just leave it like that?

Thank you so much! I've spent like 3 months figuring out the design of this thing!

I'm gonna get that egg-crate stuff and cut one strip and silicone it accross the top. I think that's my only option without looking too sloppy.

I'm going today to get wood for my stand I think.

Would it look better to build the stand so that it's flush with the tank dimensions, or make it a little bigger?

bonsaidarrell

Would it look better to build the stand so that it's flush with the tank dimensions, or make it a little bigger?

It really depends on the look you want. For mine, I modeled the stand after a Shaker jelly cabinet (loosely), so I made the top an inch larger all around.

For a tank your size (capacity-wise the same as mine), I would just build a three sided "box" of 3/4" plywood, and face the front with 1x3 (assuming you are installing doors). That should be plenty strong to hold the ~400 lbs.

-Darrell

Not much to update except that I filled up my tank today and NO LEAKS! YEEEEE-HAAAAWWWW!!!!

Now as for my stand, lol, I started on the frame and that's all the further I've gotten. I got 2x4s that I need to cut down because I designed the stand to be 36" tall but I think that's a little too tall. Maybe? I heard somewhere that a standard size is 30". Nothing else new though. I'm going tomorrow to get a couple more things and I'll be working on that in the evening. I'll post pics then. :happy:

either looks good.

having a "lip" (like the solana stand) around your tank is good for putting stuff on while fragging, doing maintenance etc. also might be more secure than a flush stand.

on the flip side:

flush looks sleek and modern. however, im too clumsy for that. if u go flush, make sure there are no kids around, no crazy ppl, no earthquakes, dogs, cats, rabbits (jk ).

OMG I'm such an idiot. I spent forever cutting the wood to size for my frame and I had all my dimensions perfect so my tank could sit perfectly flush on top. Now that my frame is almost done, I'll have to rebuild it because I just realized that my holes are too close to the edge of the glass and I can't drill into the top of the stand because I'll hit the frame! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! :angry: I guess I can't go with the flush design then because my holes would be .75" from the edge of the stand after adding the 1/4" ply. I'll have to rebuild the top and bottom of the frame now. :sigh: I was so excited too.

Would it look okay if the stand was 2" bigger all the way around? Would I be able to get fancy and add some square tiles to the top of the stand? Or would they break?

Edit: okay maybe it will still work. I have 3.5 inches to work with in the side of the frame so I may be able to cut a notch out big enough to accommodate a 1" elbow from the overflow drain. hmmm. It should hold right? I'll figure it out tomorrow...

Archived