ReefCleaners.org

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

I was thinking about going to the hardware store today to pick up the pvc to make this durso thing. What should I do about the top piece in the picture (7 & 8)? I don't know what that is.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not_sponsored

In that pic they used a nylon barbed fitting, it's basically to let air out of the pipe to reduce noise. You can actually just drill a small hole in a pvc end cap and stick in some airline tubing, make sure the hole is small enough so that when you shove the tubing in it is snug.

In that pic they used a nylon barbed fitting, it's basically to let air out of the pipe to reduce noise. You can actually just drill a small hole in a pvc end cap and stick in some airline tubing, make sure the hole is small enough so that when you shove the tubing in it is snug.

Cool thanks! This will be a lot cheaper than buying a ready-made durso.

Carlton'sTank

I also did a DIY durso a few months back and it costs maybe $8 to make. They are not that difficult to make but very confusing for a first timer. I didn't even know what a drain pipe was because I never plumbed a sump before.

I also did a DIY durso a few months back and it costs maybe $8 to make. They are not that difficult to make but very confusing for a first timer. I didn't even know what a drain pipe was because I never plumbed a sump before.

:lol: I have no idea what I'm doing either.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything looks great!

I love the tank. It makes me want to build a rimless myself but i need to get going on my 75 gal already!

Keep up the good work! ;)

Kimberly63

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Well everything is almost complete with my tank. I'll have tons of pics later this weekend - I forgot the USB cord at my mothers house for my camera. Today I have to pick up clamps for my plumbing - I got some yesterday but they were too large. I'll go into detail on how I built the durso and the return and how i did the plumbing too. I also had a problem with finding something for teeth for the overflow. Since my clowns are still babies, egg-crating can't be used like I originally planned. -_-

I'm nervous about the test run :scarry:

Kimberly63
I can't wait to see it!!!!

Thanks Weetie! Me too! lol It's taken so darn long to get it this far :P

Good luck. Once you do a sump setup once, it becomes much less intimidating.

That's what I'm finally figuring out. Especially with flexible plumbing - piece of cake! lol (Okay not really but not too bad) :D

Guest theoldman

One of the reasons why I did not add a sump to my nano is the fear of the plumbing.

Good luck on this. I'm sure it will turn out just fine. Can't wait to see it once it's completed.

Kimberly63

Well, I'm definitely irritated. :angry: I went to finalize my plumbing by putting on my clamps and the nuts and one thing I failed to acknowledge was that once I pvc glue in the elbow into the bulkhead, I cannot fit the nut on. I can on the larger bulkhead but not the return. I'm so upset because each bulkhead was about $10 and not that it's a huge deal or anything, but it's just another delay for me until I get up to the closest lfs (40 min) when I have time next. Jeez.

So sorry, no up-and-running pictures yet. :(

Weetabix7

I'm sorry! :(

I'm gonna be dealing with all this stuff soon too-- I finally got my tank, just need to clean it out, drill it, and get it plumbed.

I bet you'll beat me in getting yours off the ground though.

Kimberly63
I'm sorry! :(

I'm gonna be dealing with all this stuff soon too-- I finally got my tank, just need to clean it out, drill it, and get it plumbed.

I bet you'll beat me in getting yours off the ground though.

Yeah I took the bulheads outside and glued in the elbows since the glue smells really bad and it's messy (plus I can't fit inside the stand well enough to see what the heck I'm doing). -_-

Good luck with your build! Take lots of pictures! :happy:

AdriftQuasar

Great build! I've been planning to rebuild my 20H with lots of DIY so I have been learning a lot of great stuff from this thread.

not_sponsored

For the overflow you could use some needlepoint screen to cover it to prevent the clowns from getting sucked in. You can probably find it at most craft stores.

70578.jpg

Kimberly63
Great build! I've been planning to rebuild my 20H with lots of DIY so I have been learning a lot of great stuff from this thread.

I've used this thread to help a lot of people with their DIY projects. I can't really say I know what I'm doing, but a lot of what I did turned out well so far. :P

Waiting for pictures. I am intersted to see how your plumbing worked out.

Pictures tonight! :happydance:

For the overflow you could use some needlepoint screen to cover it to prevent the clowns from getting sucked in. You can probably find it at most craft stores.

Hee hee - actually you beat me to it. I already purchased some the other day B)

Kimberly63

Just on another note, I was stupid the other night and left my top open and one of my baby onyx clownfish jumped out and I didn't find him until I came home from work. :tears: I'm gonna try to get another one if I can afford it - if not, I'm gonna try to get a baby black and white clown through my lfs. Hopefully they will pair up but I'm pretty sad. :( Now I know that I can't leave my top open for even a day and be safe.

Kimberly63

Okay guys B) updates:

I drilled a hole in the back of my stand. :P

drill_hole1.jpg

Plumbing - 3 feet of 3/4" and 1" flexible tubing

hoses.jpg

Clamps that I got from Lowes.

clamps1.jpg

I put the 90 degree elbows for the bulkheads into the hoses (do this first because you'll save yourself a headache).

I had to use hot water to run over the smaller (3/4") hose because it was such a tight fit.

clamp_hose1.jpg

Then I used a flat-head screwdriver to tighten.

clamp_hose2.jpg

I built my durso and return standpipes. I got the pieces from Lowes and including the pvc glue, it came out to around $7 - not too shabby.

dursoparts1.jpg

dursoparts2.jpg

This is all the above parts glued together

durso3.jpg

Drilled a hole at the top for air-line tubing

durso2.jpg

Added 3/4" pvc to it and getting ready to paint:

durso.jpg

Looks pretty sharp B)

durso1.jpg

Did the return standpipe - used same 3/4" pvc and glued on a 3/4" threaded/slip elbow for my split loc-line. The slip side got glued onto the pvc and the threaded side is to screw on the loc-line.

return_standpipe.jpg

Tank on the floor:

tank1.jpg

Bulkheads fit!

bulkheads1.jpg

The return is glued in because it didn't fit snugly into the bulkhead but I left the durso unglued. I also rigged up some netting to cover the drain-hole in the durso so snails wouldn't get stuck in there. I'll make it purdy with a zip-tie later. :P

Standpipes in place:

standpipes1.jpg

standpipes2.jpg

standpipes3.jpg

Kimberly63

Okay here's a picture of my sump (old wet/dry filter). It's on a temporary shelf until I'm not lazy and make a nice one for inside.

sump1.jpg

Here is the hoses clamped onto the elbows under the tank - kind of blurry. I had such a hard time getting all this crap on that I wanted to punch something.

hoses2.jpg

This is the return (3/4") hose that I fit this little nozzle on that threads onto the pump

hose3.jpg

My QuietOne 1200 pump in the sump - 296gph (I need to find a non-metal clamp for this)

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

Plastic canvas or craft mesh from Walmart - $2 for several sheets.

canvas1.jpg

Cut a long section out and spraypainted with Krylon Fusion (this stuff makes the world go round)

canvas2.jpg

Siliconed plastic canvas strip in the back of my overflow glass:

overflow1.jpg

Front:

overflow2.jpg

Progression shots

Last week:

fts1.jpg

Today:

fts2.jpg

fts3.jpg

Here is my 10g AGA that is being transferred into the 20g. I haven't posted updates on this tank in a looong time.

10fts.jpg

Kimberly63
I LOVE IT!!!

Now you're making me want to plum a tank! :o

Looks great!!!

Aww thanks :blush:

I'll have to wait until the silicone sets before I do a water test. I'm very anxious :)

Archived