Coral Vue Hydros

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kimberly63
As you should be... Be very proud of this build!!!

I think I'm more relieved than proud right now lol

Actually I'm in some deep doo-doo because stupid me spilt pvc glue on my carpet - twice - and my landlord is gonna kill me :lol:

davidr2340
I think I'm more relieved than proud right now lol

Actually I'm in some deep doo-doo because stupid me spilt pvc glue on my carpet - twice - and my landlord is gonna kill me :lol:

Rut-Roh!!! :o

Weetabix7

YES!!!!!

Thank you SO much for all the pics, it's very helpful to

me since I am getting ready to work on the exact same type of plumbing stuff. :flower:

When are you gonna do the water test?

I'm very anxious to see the results.

Kimberly63
Rut-Roh!!! :o

Haha yeah, spilt like half the container while I was in my stand trying to mess with things. I have 2 huge purple spots. I have some extra carpeting, I'll have to cut a section out. ;)

YES!!!!!

Thank you SO much for all the pics, it's very helpful to

me since I am getting ready to work on the exact same type of plumbing stuff. :flower:

When are you gonna do the water test?

I'm very anxious to see the results.

No problem Weetie! I figured I would give it a day for the PVC glue to dry completely and maybe 2 days for the silicone to dry on the overflow teeth.

I might get the stuff for my door today too. :happy:

Hey Kim what's the size on the piece of the durso where the water get sucked in? Looks smaller than the rest of the PVC "T" Be careful because I believe a 1" diameter tube can suck up to 600GPH so smaller like 3/4" should do less and so on. Also give it a try with the plastic canvas as it holes are so small it can restrict too much water flow. Obviously it depends on what GPH pump you have. Just me thinking randomly. Your build came up very nice! So do you think Krylon fusion is the only spray paint you can use reef safe or almost any canned spray paint should be the same? I also want to paint some plumbing now :P

Kimberly63
Hey Kim what's the size on the piece of the durso where the water get sucked in? Looks smaller than the rest of the PVC "T" Be careful because I believe a 1" diameter tube can suck up to 600GPH so smaller like 3/4" should do less and so on. Also give it a try with the plastic canvas as it holes are so small it can restrict too much water flow. Obviously it depends on what GPH pump you have. Just me thinking randomly. Your build came up very nice! So do you think Krylon fusion is the only spray paint you can use reef safe or almost any canned spray paint should be the same? I also want to paint some plumbing now :P

In the Durso, all the pieces are 3/4" diameter and I have 296gph for my return. If the plastic canvas doesn't work, I planned on removing it and I have some other stuff that I can try.

I guess the krylon is the only thing that's safe since it's supposed to permanently bond to plastic - unlike other spraypaints. I have to admit - it was fun doing the durso and the return :happy:

Kimberly63

What kind of hinges should I use for the door?

Also where's a good place to put the light ballast?

CowboyRWN
What kind of hinges should I use for the door?

"Self closing partial wrap overlay" HD sells them. You will be able to make fine adjustments after you mount them, they mount to the inside of the opening and the door will be out in front and slightly larger than the opening, blocking the light from your sump. Just my 2 pennies. :)

Hinge

Your build is looking very clean.

Kimberly63
"Self closing partial wrap overlay" HD sells them. You will be able to make fine adjustments after you mount them, they mount to the inside of the opening and the door will be out in front and slightly larger than the opening, blocking the light from your sump. Just my 2 pennies. :)

Hinge

Your build is looking very clean.

Hey thanks!

I went to Lowes to look at hinges and I couldn't figure out what to get. So many different types! lol

I just screwed my ballast into the back of my stand.

Not sure if I'm able to do that - I'm limited on room that has a 2x4 I can screw into. Heck I might just leave it on the floor - I could care less at this point. :P

Kimberly63

I did a water test today and my overflow bulkhead was leaking everywhere so of course I had to drain everything and remove the sump and try and squeeze myself under my stand and try and tighten the nut. Jeez. I think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown. lol

Anyway-I think it's okay now so I'm gonna fill 'er back up. :P

I hate when that happens. I had to do it 2 times before get it well done without leaks. Las leak was from the tank itself lol PVC just gave up

Kimberly63

Well I tightened my overflow bulkhead and I got everything up and running again. Works nice. The pump is not nearly enough flow. I can barely feel it when I put my hand up to the nozzle under the water. I can't find my receipt either. -_-

When I keep checking the bulkhead, it looks like there is still a leak like a slooooooow single droplet that forms. Not sure if it's from all the water under my tank in between the glass and the liner or if it's still from the bulkhead. I let everything run over night and I had no problems. I can hear a slow trickle but it's from the water coming out of the little holes on the plastic canvas strip on the overflow. Other than that, everything is silent. I can just hear the pump. Once I get the door on, I might not be able to hear it.

I should have pictures later today.

Kimberly63

B)

fts1.jpg

fts2.jpg

Not the best pics but they were on my phone because I was excited and sent a couple quick pics to my friend. I haven't been home to take good pics off of my camera.

I still have a really slow leak on my bulkhead. If it doesn't stop, I might have to silicone it. -_-

Looks pretty sweet though. I'm surprised it all works. :happy:

Wow, looks great!

I can't remember, what pump are you using for the return pump?

I'm guessing you're gonna get a stronger one?

Kimberly63
Looks Nice! Yay! :happydance:

Thanks! :happy:

Wow, looks great!

I can't remember, what pump are you using for the return pump?

I'm guessing you're gonna get a stronger one?

Thanks Weetie!

I'm using a lifeguard QuietOne pump rated for 296gph. I was just expecting to have more of a burst of flow from the loc-line. I will probably keep it for now and add an extra power head in the display. Or maybe I can find someone at my local club that has a larger one that they'd like to swap.

**if you can see on the second pic, there's barely any surface agitation and I have the loc-line above the water surface.

Kimberly63
i clicked though all the pages expecting some FTS shots of live rock... i cant wait to see them! great build!!! :D

:lol: I know, this thread is painfully slow lol.

Soon though!

Sounds like you have the next smaller size Quiet One than me, I got a Quiet One 2200 for the new build I'm working on.

Yeah, I would've expected stronger flow too.

Could you try shortening the 2 locline arms a little?

(Yes, I know it's a major pain, I've messed with it before. :rolleyes:)

On my last tank, I had a problem with flow cause the return from my tank was split into 2 locline arms like yours, except my locline was twice as long as yours on the arms.

In hindsight, I think that if I were to do it again, I would drastically shorten the arms.

Kimberly63
Sounds like you have the next smaller size Quiet One than me, I got a Quiet One 2200 for the new build I'm working on.

Yeah, I would've expected stronger flow too.

Could you try shortening the 2 locline arms a little?

(Yes, I know it's a major pain, I've messed with it before. :rolleyes:)

On my last tank, I had a problem with flow cause the return from my tank was split into 2 locline arms like yours, except my locline was twice as long as yours on the arms.

In hindsight, I think that if I were to do it again, I would drastically shorten the arms.

That's actually a good idea - I'll try that tonight. :happy:

Archived