Cultivated Reef

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

Any update on this....I've been waiting to see it with a finished stand and full of rock :P

Great work by the way....you could park a bus on that stand!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I haven't checked this in awhile and didn't know I had new comments :P

Sad to say that it's been a slow process trying to get this stupid stand finished. I had to cut into the frame to make room for my bulkheads too - which meant going out and buying a jig-saw for the job. I went out today to get trim samples to bring home and see what would look nice so when I get paid this week, I should have everything I need to finish it! Finally!

I'll post some pictures later. :happy:

First I stained the top of the stand to see how the color worked out. I did a mahogany minwax stain on birch laminate and it turned out really nice. Crappy cell phone pic though - stain doesn't look that red in person.

topstained.jpg

Next I set the top on and marked where my holes needed to be drilled. Unfortunately, I had to make notches into the frame so I could fit the bulkheads. If you notice too, I have an extra piece of ply sitting under the top so it gave me more room for my bulkheads - each piece of ply was 3/4".

toponstand.jpg

10 minutes is considered later right....

:lol: sorry it was about 20

Here's one with all the laminate on. To cut out the front, I marked the front with painters tape and used a jig-saw to cut out the opening - worked pretty well if you ask me. :happy:

frontcutout.jpg

That's all the pics I have so far but this week I'll have plenty more.

Should I go with a marine-grade polyurethane or will just regular be okay?

• 1 month later...

Okay I apologize - it's been forever since I posted an update.

Here is a pic of putting the skin on.

6.jpg

Jig-sawed a hole for bulkheads

7.jpg

Setting the top on to make sure everything was even

8.jpg

I cut all the trim with 45 degree edges then stained them. Then I glued them and clamped them on and put finishing nails in.

4.jpg

As of today:

My stand is almost done. Right now I am on my third coat of polyurethane. I don't have a garage or basement so I had to wait till it was a little warmer outside. I used the Minwax Helmsman type because it's made for in bathrooms, outside furniture, etc. A little expensive - like $10 a spraycan but I think it was worth it. I got the satin finish.

The only thing I need to do to the stand is put shelves inside and make a door but I'm not too worried about either of those right now - I just want the stupid thing done. This weekend I'm probably making the door. I found a handle I want from lowes but it needs to be special ordered.

I used the Minwax Red Mahogany and I bought the same brand/color of wood putty for the finishing nail holes and I'm very dissapointed with the results of the putty. I didn't realize but the putty never dries hard so you can sand it down and the color has more of a purple hue and doesn't really match the stain that well. I thought once I did the poly, the putty would blend better but it's very visible.

I also decided not to paint the inside of the stand. I have no more patience and I will just poly the inside probably. Or if i do paint the inside - it'll be the krylon spraypaint stuff. I think I still have some black around here somewhere from painting my other tank.

Poly is still wet:

2.jpg

3.jpg

I set my tank on top and it's not flush with the stand but it still looks good. It started to rain a little bit today so I had to drag the stand back into my apartment so I'll have to do the last coat tomorrow.

That's it for now. :happy:

stand looks great! Very nice woodworking skills!

Thanks! I'm surprised it turned out somewhat decent. Actually I don't think it's completely square but it'll have to work lol.

Lol thanks for the coments but seriously, :blush: I think I have to stick coasters under this thing for it to be level lol. I really had no idea what I was doing.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a light? I was thinking MH but I'm kinda broke so I can't get anything too expensive.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a light? I was thinking MH but I'm kinda broke so I can't get anything too expensive.

Try and find a used 150watt sunpod? Too expensive?

Edit: Someone just posted one on fragswapper for the Cleve. swap for $140.

Lol thanks for the coments but seriously, :blush: I think I have to stick coasters under this thing for it to be level lol. I really had no idea what I was doing.

Everything is coming tofether nicely, Kimberly! :)

If you want MH but are on a budget (much like I am) how about a DIY MH setup? For a $150 you could easily do one for about $125 if not less! B) I made my own 70w MH setup for my 10g custom AIO tank, and it works as good as any 70w MH setup can!

Edit: Someone just posted one on fragswapper for the Cleve. swap for $140.

great deal but it's 24" :(

My tank is only 20" - would it look stupid if it was longer?

Everything is coming tofether nicely, Kimberly! :)

If you want MH but are on a budget (much like I am) how about a DIY MH setup? For a $150 you could easily do one for about $125 if not less! B) I made my own 70w MH setup for my 10g custom AIO tank, and it works as good as any 70w MH setup can!

:) Thanks Matt!

I've been debating on making a fixture for awhile now - if I can't find a good deal anywhere, I will try making one. I'm going to a swap on the 4th maybe I can even find a ballast or parts that someone is selling.

How about this with an Ushio 20k for $150 including the bulb?

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1324

I actually don't think that a 2" hangover on each side would look that bad if the fixture mentioned in the post above is the kind of thing you're looking for. If it is something that you can suspend over the tank, it would hardly be noticeable.

Actually that would work good although I was looking at 150w. The 150w and the exact bulb I wanted comes to $192 which is still good if the reflector is good quality.

Should I get an electronic or magnetic ballast?

Atlantis Reef

Awesome stand and as Weetabix said Phoenix for sure that is all I have run for the last 5 years and love growth and color

Archived