Cultivated Reef

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

Your tank is looking awesome

thank you! I can't wait to get it up and running! I'm glad it held water - lol.

No pics yet? :(

I promise to have pics up soon!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay - :) here is the design my CAD guy at work came up for bracing the stand near the holes:

tank5.jpg

Okay now here's some pics I promised of my tank filled with water. NO LEAKS! It looks like there's a leak in the back but I spilled water :P

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

Okay and please don't laugh at my attempt to build this stand frame. It's not the best but I'm pretty proud of myself not having any help. (no snickering)

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

I need some more screws that I'll get probably Sunday then I can start figuring out shelves and plywood.

That's it till later!

:happy:

that stand will be strong enough to hold your tank x's 4. I built a stand out of 1 x 4's for my 20g frag tank and it's plenty strong enough.

I am building a stand right now as well. I went with 32", I liked it a little taller than a standard stand.

My frame is 31" right now, but when I add the foam board and the plywood on top, it'll end up being around 32" :P

Dont bash yourself. It looks great? Are you going to paint or stain it? And what about a hood? Or are you going to leave the top open.

I'm gonna attempt to stain it - maybe a mahogany, or walnut. I have a lot of dark woods in my furniture and throughout my apartment so I'd like it to match. :) I'll end up putting a special "marine grade" polyurethane on it to repel water that spills on it. I'm not going to do a hood because I didn't want to defeat the purpose of a rimless tank. I'll probably hang a pendant above the tank. I'll def have to get an ATO for evaporation though. -_-

that stand will be strong enough to hold your tank x's 4. I built a stand out of 1 x 4's for my 20g frag tank and it's plenty strong enough.

See everyone at work was worried this design would even hold my tank. Once it's reinforced with plywood all over, it should be even stronger. :happy:

That frame looks great. 2 x 4's and dry wall screws make the world go round!

Thank you! it was a pain in the neck though. lol. OH and as a note to everyone - don't get zinc wood screws. I was so mad because the heads strip before you even get them into the wood! <_<

really nice work i like it alot. evertime i see a diy like this i want to start another one of my own

Thank you! I'm really excited to see it closer to being done! I'm just curious what it'll look like with ply, trim and stained. :)

That is a monster stand! You could park a tank on top of that, good job my friend.

Aw thanks! It's VERY heavy already too. I have to drag it around as I'm working. :lol:

your stand fraim looks better than mine did mine looked like crap and wasnt square so i gave up im using it as a tv stand now lol a tv stand that can hole like 500lbs lol and it weighs like 1000 lol na like 200 but

your stand fraim looks better than mine did mine looked like crap and wasnt square so i gave up im using it as a tv stand now lol a tv stand that can hole like 500lbs lol and it weighs like 1000 lol na like 200 but

Looks good

Thanks guys! :happy: So I shouldn't be worried about ppl laughing? well except for the fact that I build it like Fort Knox :P

Thanks guys!

lol - this was a very stressful project - especially because it's all trial and error because I have no idea what I'm doing. :P By the time I'm done, I may not want to do it again!

Tank looks awesome. Should look very cool once done and filled with coral.

On a side note, us CAD guys are awesome, I love drawing up plans like those.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys!

lol - this was a very stressful project - especially because it's all trial and error because I have no idea what I'm doing. :P By the time I'm done, I may not want to do it again!

It's still very good for your first time! :)

Archived