Pod Your Reef

20g of solid starfire sexiness

Kimberly63

The stand looks amazing. Very clean and nice coloring. Cute onyx very tiny but will grow in no time at all.

Keep up the good work.

Adolfo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my light today! omgomgomg

Lol sorry Weets, I didn't go with the hello lights pendant....

Only because I got a deal of the century!!! A Geisman II pendant for $160 shipped. It includes a brand new 14k Phoenix bulb with only a couple hours of burn time on it!

The only thing is... it's a 250w. Either my corals will sit back with their shades, or burn to a crisp. :o

Will this be too much? I'm thinking it might but maybe I could hang it a little higher than normal? like 4 feet off my tank? lol.

Don't worry silly, my feelings aren't hurt.

You gotta get the best thing you can find, and if you find a better deal, more power to ya!

Yeah, I'd hang it kinda high.

Might want to consider a fan too.

That's cool that it came with the bulb.

Hope it works out great for you! :happydance:

Did you get the silver or black?

It's a silver fixture. Actually I think it's exactly the same as yours! :P

Just got back from the Cleveland frag swap. I got a few items - like 6 zoanthids/palys, an acan, and some gold cloves. I just did a couple trades and I spent $15 on 1 frag - that was it! I was very cheap today because I just paid for that light. I did sell my PC fixture today for $60 so I was happy about that.

My tank doesn't have a light for about 5 days so I'm gonna move my tank next to my livingroom window to get light.

Pics of the whole setup?

pretty please?

I'm gonna try getting a picture of my tank on my stand this week sometime. my camera phone doesn't have a flash so it looks like a black blob sitting in front of the window. lol. I'll have to move it to get a good picture. Maybe once my light comes in, I'll be able to get a good, clear pic.

Oh, so you have a light coming, do you. :ninja:

Yup! he said thursday or friday. I sold my light at the swap on saturday so I have no light now for my current tank. I was told everything should be okay until then - I hope so!

Okay guys B) I get my light tomorrow and I definitely need to acclimate. Since I don't have screens, can I just use wax paper? Is this even effective? I plan on hanging the light pretty high and slowly lowering it too.

Thanks! :)

Wow, home built tank and stand ... both very sharp!

I would be afraid the was on the waxpaper might melt under the heat from the light (I am assuming it is a MH, I missed where you mentioned it).

Wow, home built tank and stand ... both very sharp!

I would be afraid the was on the waxpaper might melt under the heat from the light (I am assuming it is a MH, I missed where you mentioned it).

Yeah, I'm going from 80w PC to 250w MH.

You're right though, the wax paper might melt...

Well I got my light! It has some wear but I absolutely love it. I held it above my 10g tank that has my corals in it and they were so po'd lol. I got it from a reefer on RC named Versus and he is such a good guy (he gave me instructions on how to not catch on fire) lol. I'm very pleased. :happy:

Anyway, the light is going over my 10g until my other tank is done and I have 2 or 3 white dish towels over my tank so I can adjust my corals and everything is so neon colored with the 14k! what a difference from PC's! B)

I didn't have a way to hang the light so me and my cousin go on an adventure to Lowes to get a piece of 3/4" conduit and I have them cut it and I see the tool to bend it and it's $38! So me and her sneak into another aisle and I have the conduit on the floor and I'm standing on it as I'm trying to bend it with this huge freakin tool that's three feet long as she's on the lookout for lowes employees lol. I got it bent finally but it looks kinda bad :lol: oh well - it was only like $4.

Well anyway, I took a quick picture of my AGA 10g - terrible pic - and I'm almost embarrased to post it because the corals look like crap but I wanted to show how bright the tank is even with 3 towels over the tank (The netting on the koralia and filter intake are so my baby onyx don't get sucked in).

aga1.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my built tank. Pics are bad because of my phone and I don't have a flash but at least you guys can get an idea of what it looks like.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

I'd take a pic of the light but when i do, it looks like a big white fireball lol. I'm almost embarrased to post these pics but it's all I got lol.

I'll take em.

:) Nice setup.

Show us the sump!

How is that light going to be implemented?

Hanging?

Yeah hanging from a metal conduit pipe for now.

Lol the sump is just an old acrylic wet/dry filter that looks pretty sad and pathetic but I got it cheap off a guy in my marine club. It's empty right now till I get some money to put a pump and plumbing in :P

Hi peeps! I need some help... :happy:

I'm getting my pump today - a Lifeguard QuiteOne 1200 which my friend uses, likes, and it's cheap (yay!). I'll upgrade later. Set for 296 gph.

Now I really need help with my plumbing. I have no idea what to do. Dunky and a few others explained some stuff to me and it helped but I'm still having trouble because I have to kinda see a picture on how everything goes. I just want clear flex tubing. My bulkheads are smooth on the inside - I'm guessing those are slip? I also need to buy a durso drain - I hope it will fit in my overflow compartment. Do I need pvc glue? I'm guessing I can use zip ties to connect the flex tubing on the 45 degree elbow coming from my bulkhead. Do I pvc glue everything together?

My overflow is different from a lot of other people's so I can't really find a good diagram to go off of.

Thanks guys!

This picture is taken from MacheteAvenue's build. It's exactly how I want my return and my overflow will kinda work the same:

DSC_0067.jpg

not_sponsored

Your bulkheads are slip fit, you will need a slip to thread PVC coupling that will look like this-

00202.jpg

You will also need a small section of PVC pipe to connect the bulkhead and the coupling.

Then you will need a nylon barbed fitting, make sure the threading is the same as the coupling as some are not NPT

03892_t.jpg

You can slip your clear hose onto this and use a hose clamp to keep it there-

Hose_Clamp.jpg

As far as gluing PVC you will need Primer as well as glue-

6597769.jpg

17407.jpg

There's a brush in the can, just brush the primer on both the inside of the bulkhead and the outside of the pipe going into the bulkhead, wait a few seconds then brush on some of the glue and shove them together and give it a quarter turn.

Your bulkheads are slip fit, you will need a slip to thread PVC coupling that will look like this-

00202.jpg

You will also need a small section of PVC pipe to connect the bulkhead and the coupling.

Then you will need a nylon barbed fitting, make sure the threading is the same as the coupling as some are not NPT

03892_t.jpg

You can slip your clear hose onto this and use a hose clamp to keep it there-

Hose_Clamp.jpg

As far as gluing PVC you will need Primer as well as glue-

6597769.jpg

17407.jpg

There's a brush in the can, just brush the primer on both the inside of the bulkhead and the outside of the pipe going into the bulkhead, wait a few seconds then brush on some of the glue and shove them together and give it a quarter turn.

:eek:

Thank you so much for all the useful information, but I'm pretty scared now. lol.

So my overflow will end up being smaller than I originally planned since I have to put that coupling thing in the elbow? The elbow is already smaller than the bulkhead inner diameter. Where would I put a ball valve? Do I even need the coupling if I just glue some hose onto the 45 degree elbow and glue the elbow into the bulkhead?

not_sponsored

Had to look back to page 4 for a pic of your bulkhead elbow combo, didn't know you had that. If you want you can just use the same pvc primer/glue to glue the elbow into the bulkhead, then slip your silicone tubing over the elbow.

As far as your durso here is a good diagram of one-

BRP_DURSO_Build.jpg

1) You can eliminate since your bulkhead is slip

2) PVC Pipe same size as your bulkhead

3) PVC Tee

4) PVC Pipe

5) PVC Elbow

6) PVC endcap drilled with small hole

789) small tubing going into endcap

Had to look back to page 4 for a pic of your bulkhead elbow combo, didn't know you had that. If you want you can just use the same pvc primer/glue to glue the elbow into the bulkhead, then slip your silicone tubing over the elbow.

As far as your durso here is a good diagram of one-

BRP_DURSO_Build.jpg

1) You can eliminate since your bulkhead is slip

2) PVC Pipe same size as your bulkhead

3) PVC Tee

4) PVC Pipe

5) PVC Elbow

6) PVC endcap drilled with small hole

789) small tubing going into endcap

Thanks! that makes more sense lol.

What should I put in the return bulkhead? Also, could you tell me what 7,8,9 is on the diagram?

Archived