inTank Media Baskets

Phixion's custom "12 x "16 x "12 AIO tank build

Phixion

A basic bacground on this is that members of SCNRS consulted with Advanced Acrylics to build us a custom AIO to specs that we would all agree to and purchase. The final product is a NICE beveled edge, "1/2 thick acrylic "12x"16x"12 sized AIO tank. The goal was to have a tank with a perfectly cube shaped display area, but be compact enough for most to afford. The goal was acheived quite well I'd have to say. Anyways on with the pics... I have yet to set the tank up, but will be doing so over the next day or two. Currently I'm going to run the tank with an MJ900 powerhead with a Hydor-Flo on the end of a "1/2 bulkhead in the false wall, and then have a Koralia Nano in the display. The total tank volume is around 10g when filled completely with water. I'll also have a 50w Visi-Therm Stealth heater in it as well. I'll be putting chaeto in the middle chamber and any filter media (and eventually a skimmer, Tunze DOC 9002 perhaps) in the intake chamber. The chamber was sized specifically to fit the Tunze skimmer in it and does so quite well!

The front of the tank:

scnrs_tank1.jpg

The back of the tank:

scnrs_tank2.jpg

A top'ish back view:

scnrs_tank3.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to criticize, but if affordability was the goal, why in the WORLD 1/2" for such a tiny tank??

1/4" would have been more than enough, and at 3/8" you'd save like ,$40 just in raw acrylic cost.

Also - whats the thickness of the main baffle (the black sheet that sepeartes fuge/sump from display)?

Definetly cool tank.

I built this same basic design, but much bigger at my girlfreinds, i supposed I should start a forum on it, since it is basically my tank, heres a quick pic - not even terribly recent (hope this doesn't come off as me stealing your forum....just like comparing systems, especially being a custom tank designer/builder myself)

photo-27.jpg

Thats made out of 1/4", althought it needed bracers, and still, i would have gone with 3/8" acrylic, but it was originally planned as a temporary thought, and built at 11pm, using 1/4" because thats what I had, and I was impatiently anxious....

heres a 24x24x24 cube with the same basic fuge idea I built not too long ago:

photo-1.jpg

Thing was, we were quoted a price on the tank for "3/8 thick acrylic, but "1/2 was used on accident. True to the word, AA stuill honored the original plans price. B) Trust me though, this tank was VERY affordable.

ANd the tank is now officially set up as of tonight. Out with the old nasty 10g, and in with the new custom Advanced Acrylics "SCNRS edition" tank!

SCNRStnk1.jpg

Not to criticize, but if affordability was the goal, why in the WORLD 1/2" for such a tiny tank??

1/4" would have been more than enough, and at 3/8" you'd save like ,$40 just in raw acrylic cost.

Also - whats the thickness of the main baffle (the black sheet that sepeartes fuge/sump from display)?

I don't think so, 1/2 is the way to go! 1/2" is SO COOL! Especially if you want to go cold water, which some members were considering.

The tank tested out as not cycling, YAY! All livestock from my now old 10g, is now in this new tank! B)

scnrs1.jpg

And a pretty cool lunerLED only long exposure night shot:

scnrs3_nte.jpg

And lastly, here's a shot of how close to the edge the water is on a certain rotation location of the Hydor-Flo... EEK!

SCNRS_wtrlvl.jpg

If I got one of these I would want to try dual 3 gallon surges, 1/2'' good for that :P

Sweet little tank, I am working on a 5.5 thats something similar.

Thanks! :) Custom is always a good way to go. And I'm quite liking a smaller tank too! Not too often we downgrade tank size wise, lol! How's your setup going to be, AIO style as well, or something small and sumped?

Wow I absolutely love it! I'd like one myself :P

Thanks Kimberly! I dunno about this specific size, but I'm sure Advanced Acrylics offers similar custom AIO setups. :)

Well tonight I decided to remove the Hydor-Flo, and in place add on a couple section pieces of LocLine. The Hydor-Flo is nice, but I hate the sand dunes it creates and also how it would occasionally at least once a day make a little water go up over the side of the tank on the one corner in the pic above. I also added in the Koralia Nano I had bought earlier in the month at MAX. Currently the flow in the tank is 47x turnover, not too shabby! B)

Latest FTS:

SCNRS_fts0427.jpg

SeeDemTails
Thanks! :) Custom is always a good way to go. And I'm quite liking a smaller tank too! Not too often we downgrade tank size wise, lol! How's your setup going to be, AIO style as well, or something small and sumped?

Yea, AIO. Its basically half of a 5.5, seperated by an acrylic false back, which the water will flow over and into the other half of the tank where the skimmer, heater, and return pump will be. I am going to make the hood cover half the tank only, so the viewable part will be a top down view, like a zeroedge. I am probably going to light it with a 70w halide, setup like a pendant. I am going to start a thread about it some time soon, it has water and rock in it now.

Archived