Coral Vue Hydros

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

also getting a lexan cover for the bulbs would be easy go to a local hardware store and have them cut a piece for probably about the same price as a tek cover minus the shipping

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24 incher.. can anyone tell me how to put an extra power cord in?.. id like to turn the actinics and daylights on and off seperately with my dj strip.. thanks

I sent you a pm on the screen lid...

also, the holes on the Tek light, for attachment of the bracket, are threaded and reinforced. If you drill the top of you light and just attach the bracket to the lid without reinforcement you will likely cause the shape of the top to distort as it will be supporting the entire weight of the fixture...just something to think about.

hhmm...what about if I used some sort of metal glue?

That really is a nice fixture for the money.

I'm pondering the 24" model for a SPS frag tank. Would love to put the 48" 8 bulb over my frag vat but just about $50 short on cash.

Ok i was looking at the pictures and I see that the housing looks to be made out of sheet steel and then powdercoated or anodized sp. I think with the thickness of the tab that the screws go through on the legs the tin in the canopy and a washer on the inside of the fixture you would be ok with drilling the top for the legs plus I dont think that it would distort that much anyway due to weight because the fixture dosent weigh that much. I am willing to try so I bought the legs and when they get here I will work it out and post here.

i don't know exactly how much my Tek weighs, but combined with the weight of eight bulbs it's definitely not light. I definitely think it would pull at the aluminum. maybe not to an extreme, but i think it would be visible. i could be wrong about that, but i bet you could put an insert on the inside of the frame of the light and drill that to match up with the holes that you drill in the top of the light to aid in support. i'm sure you guy's will figure something out!

LOL I am looking forward to it, oh and I am talking about the 24 inch model not the 48. I looked it over and edited my last post and it looks like sheet steel to me but your talking maybe 10 pounds and with the thickness of the leg attachment on top and with large diameter washers underneath you spread that weight out over a larger surface area. As for the 48 inch you may need to get a piece of 1/16 or 1/8 inch tin and drill holes in it to place it as a brace underneath.

LOL I am looking forward to it, oh and I am talking about the 24 inch model not the 48. I looked it over and edited my last post and it looks like sheet steel to me but your talking maybe 10 pounds and with the thickness of the leg attachment on top and with large diameter washers underneath you spread that weight out over a larger surface area. As for the 48 inch you may need to get a piece of 1/16 or 1/8 inch tin and drill holes in it to place it as a brace underneath.

Where's a good place to buy a piece of tin like that (Home depot, lowes?)?

i don't know exactly how much my Tek weighs, but combined with the weight of eight bulbs it's definitely not light. I definitely think it would pull at the aluminum. maybe not to an extreme, but i think it would be visible. i could be wrong about that, but i bet you could put an insert on the inside of the frame of the light and drill that to match up with the holes that you drill in the top of the light to aid in support. i'm sure you guy's will figure something out!

I'm thinking the same as Seargent. Big washers on the inside and you should be good. The top bracket will also disperse the weight of the light.

I'm thinking about building a platform for my 15 to sit on with a 2x6 arm coming from that up the back of the tank with another hinged arm at the top to mount the light to. Will allow me to move the light up and out of the way for maintanance.

Where's a good place to buy a piece of tin like that (Home depot, lowes?)?

Yes Home depot or Lowes will have metal that will work. Will need to be a heavier guage to handle the light. Just clamp a 2x4 or something heavier with sharp corners to a workbench for a sheetmetal brake. Should be good to go. Could cut those legs out on a Bandsaw with a Bimetal blade. You could do away with the tek height adjustment and just make the legs one length to save some time. You will know how height you want the light from your tank.

Steve

also unless you are gonna mod a cooling fan in this fixture and put a lexan cover over the bulbs I would Paint the piece of tin for reinforcement just to keep the salt spray off of it and keep it from rusting

I have to say honestly that I don't care for the color that's put out by the bulbs included with this fixture.

I placed it over my tank that is typically lit by a 150w MH w/Phoenix 14k bulb, and I also tried it over another Pico that is typically lit by a 40w PC fixture with an OLD 50/50 bulb.

Both tanks look much better under their original light.

The light from these bulbs makes the tanks look too "pinkish" and also produces a "flat" effect.

I really like the look of the fixture itself and am especially happy with the very well contoured reflector.

I am definitely planning on upgrading the bulbs to ATI, UVL or KZ bulbs and am hoping for much better results with those.

Crackerballer

Worst part is, even at $125, these things are still a steal. I am headed to Lowes this afternoon to grab a sheet of acrylic for when mine comes in on Tuesday to try and make a cover for them.

Got a 24" ordered for $106 shipped. Luckly Ill only have to get one more ATI blue plus bulb.

Im gonna setup mine up

front

ATI Blue plus

UVL Super Actinic

ATI Aquablue special

ATI Blue plus

I have a 24" K figi purple bulb I can sell someone, It was used for 3 months.

Worst part is, even at $125, these things are still a steal. I am headed to Lowes this afternoon to grab a sheet of acrylic for when mine comes in on Tuesday to try and make a cover for them.

Not a good idea on this lights, they will heat up too much with the shield.

yellowslayer13

I just got

2 24" 4 bulb fixtures for my 60 cube that is in the planning stages

1 48" 8 bulb fixture for my 72 gallon bowfront

Not a good idea on this lights, they will heat up too much with the shield.

I don't think it would be any different from any other fixture- so a splash shield would be fine, I'd think.

Archived