Coral Vue Hydros

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont know...the 40 and 50 breeders are 36" and this light is only 24" that is alot of extra area and probably wouldnt light the sides all that well. 29g tank should be just fine. I wish they had a 36" as well cause I would have liked to get a 30breeder

I don't need these lights today - and don't plan to own a 24" tank. Probably a 29 ballon for a period of time in the future before upgrading to a 40 Breeder or 50 gallon.

I'm looking at some of the Retrofit kits - which would be the ideal option if price were not in the equation. I'm looking at a 36" Retrofit kit from Geisman that can run 24 or 36" bulbs and I can start with 2 bulbs - then expans to 4 bulbs with 2 switches?

GL2733_1.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...RFT5~tab~0.html

Any thougths on Geisman - their caps look like they would last a good deal longer - as they're advertised as waterproof end caps.

i got my 8 bulb today. ZOMG that thing is awesome. the 10k's that come with it are plenty bright, but the actinics look dim as hell. definitely be replacing those, and i'll replace at least 2 of the 10 k's as well. I love this fixture and i can't wait to get it over a frag tub (no tank upgrade for me for a few years... gonna start MAKING money on this hobby lol). i am worried about bulb temps, so i'll probably clamp a 6" fan on to the stand i'll be making for the light to go over the tub and blow it across the bulbs. oh, and the 8 bulb has 2 switches, but still only 1 cord.

huh...thats strange hellolights emailed me and said it came with 2 cords...strange....

Masterbuilder has a 5 bulb fixture over his 30g Finnex and seems to be doing well with it, although he just has LPS and softies right now.

He just changed his bulb configuration to get higher PAR so he can get a Clam.

Yay! I just talked to a rep via live chat :) he says my lights should be on their way today

and that they are selling like hot cakes lol they had a surge of sales over the weekend

yep it will over drive them to a little over 40 watts a piece so that's ruffly 160 watts per 4 bulbs

if i'm thinking right 100 lumens per watt thats 16,000 lumens per 4 bulbs. I'm not real sure

about lumens per watt but it's some were around that I think :unsure:

Can someone explain the over driving alittle more? If you buy a better ballast it will over drive the bulbs? is it as simple as that?

Also do you run the risk of burning your lighting system out if you overdrive them?

i have heard that the bulbs dont last as long. but if i can get better light out of my sundial it would be fine w/ me....

Masterbuilder has a 5 bulb fixture over his 30g Finnex and seems to be doing well with it, although he just has LPS and softies right now.

He just changed his bulb configuration to get higher PAR so he can get a Clam.

Correct he has a 5 bulb not a 4 bulb, im saying that he cant do it, i just saying that tanks deeper than 18" T5's dont penetrate that well.

how do these compare to the fishneedit lights?

much better. reflectors, ballasts, and overall enclosure seem to be of higher quality.

Also, there are quite a few deeper T-5 lit tanks that achieve plenty of PAR. Sure, halides might be better in deep water- but the benefits of T5's are such that one should consider them, not matter what the situation.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-07/totm/index.php

What do you guys think of this Reetrofit setup?

SS2111-2.jpg

It's got

* 2x39 Workhorse Ballast

* Waterproof End Caps

* 2x36" TEK Reflectors

http://www.saltysupply.com/36-2-Lamps-x-39...it-p/ss2111.htm

For 100 bucks. I'm not looking at corals for a while - and I could start with a 2 lamp setup and then add 2 more when I was interested in expanding coral options.

I really like the Hellolights Fixture and price - but the size is too big for my current 10 gallon I'm working on - and too short for future plans. I don't plan to own a 20 gallon tank at any time. If they had a 36" option I'd have ordered it as soon as I saw the fixture.

Whatcha think?

What do you guys think of this Reetrofit setup?

SS2111-2.jpg

It's got

* 2x39 Workhorse Ballast

* Waterproof End Caps

* 2x36" TEK Reflectors

http://www.saltysupply.com/36-2-Lamps-x-39...it-p/ss2111.htm

For 100 bucks. I'm not looking at corals for a while - and I could start with a 2 lamp setup and then add 2 more when I was interested in expanding coral options.

I really like the Hellolights Fixture and price - but the size is too big for my current 10 gallon I'm working on - and too short for future plans. I don't plan to own a 20 gallon tank at any time. If they had a 36" option I'd have ordered it as soon as I saw the fixture.

Whatcha think?

is the 24" too big for the 10g? that would only be 2" overhang on each side....that being you have the 20" long 10g. IMO 2" on each side would be worth it over that retro

^^ true, def go with the 24" fixture for the price and it really will not look that bad, esp if you are going to suspend it. I worked my 36" Nova extreme fixture to fit in the middle of my canopy on my 48" 75g :) I then added the 4x 48" retros on each side when I set up...but just because the light is a few inces bigger or smaller will not make a difference unles you are using the legs to hold it up

is the 24" too big for the 10g? that would only be 2" overhang on each side....that being you have the 20" long 10g. IMO 2" on each side would be worth it over that retro

I'm getting started on a budget from scratch. I've got my 10 gallon tank / a Bucket of IO salt / my backup batter supply from CIrcuit City liquidation - and a bag of sand. I have 300 bucks in the bank today to get some a clown and Bicolor Blenny after tank's up a bit -.With a 50.00 Fixture. and the rest of my filters / pmps / etc.

Here's the starter lamp I'm goin with to start the 10 gal if I pass on this Hellolights

nova-extreme-t5ho-x2-10k-daylight-460nm-actinic-.jpg

After maybe 6 months or so - I'll have some more cash / experience under my belt with SW - and can fork out some coin for RO/DI and a better light / bigger tank / more live rock to fill it.

The Hellolights is nicer than the unit I'm looking for - but also more light than I need for my first FOWLR tank - It'll bring with it more upkeep cost in lights as well. Spending 125.00 on this fixture also bumps back my startup a month or 2 for the extra cost - and has higher upkeep ( 4 bulbs instead of 2 )

when you say upkeep, do you mean buying the bulbs or paying to run them? IMO it will cost you more in the long run switching out fixtures. the bulbs come w/ both fixtures and some say t5 bulbs can last 2 years. i promise you that you will not like the 2 bulb nova in a month or 2. nova also doesnt come w/ individual reflectors and only 2 bulbs is also not good. having 4 bulbs is better when it comes to getting the color you like as well...

also dont panic on not having an ro/di unit. if you have a walmart close by (who doesnt?) then just get the purple cap di water. alot of people use (including me) and works great

when you say upkeep, do you mean buying the bulbs or paying to run them?

Buying bulbs. I was under impression ya had to replace em every 6 months. $20x4bulbs x2 twice a year =$ 160/year. I'm not worried much about the electricity cost.

My FW tank is running on a lamp that's I don't know how old - but it still lights up - so it's good enough for me... lol.

I believe the nova does come with SLR's (according to marinedepot.com) but I'm not sure how good they are.

only the 4 bulb fixtures, and those are backordered until jan

Buying bulbs. I was under impression ya had to replace em every 6 months. $20x4bulbs x2 twice a year =$ 160/year. I'm not worried much about the electricity cost.

My FW tank is running on a lamp that's I don't know how old - but it still lights up - so it's good enough for me... lol.

no the every 6 month replacing is for CF or PC bulbs

Archived