Innovative Marine Aquariums

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glass and acrylic work are both fine. The point is to stop water from splashing up into the fixture, or salt spray from accumulating on the bulbs or reflectors.

Most glass/acrylic will have >98% transmittance, but i'm not an expert

Crackerballer

Evil, just looked on McMaster-Carr, not sure on a size though. They wouldn't need to be super big or strong. Would Lowes carry these?

EDIT* Also, the guns are EXPENSIVE, where are the ones you can out in with pliers? I was thinking of a 10-32 size.

You don't need to get the ones that use a gun to install. They have versions that are installed by screwdriver. Look for part number 90186A211 for a 6-32 thread with 0-0.063" sheet metal range, or part number 90186A211 for a 6-32 thread with 0.064-0.125" sheet metal range. You will have to measure how thick the metal on the housing is and pick the appropriate part.

Regular glass will change the color and block more light than acrylic. The main thing that blocks light with a cover is they get dirty. If you clean often it would be fine. Make sure you leave at least a couple inches open for good air exchange.

Just ordered the 24" HL T5 fixture last night. I paid $148 for the light, 12g Nano Cube surface skimmer and shipping. Not too bad...didn't get the great deal you lucky ones got though!

This will be going over my new 15g tank, unless I can find a 20g high between now and when I start the build!

Why oh why is this hobby so darn addicting? lol

Oh, and thank again Steve for the heads up on this light!! :D

This fixture is exactly 22 3/4 inches long.

I had it over a 10g today and you could barely see the overhang.

Looks perfect.

Cool,

First thing I do when my light arrives is go in a dark room - and see how it illuminates both my 10 gallon - and my 29 gallon tank. I really purchased this for a future 29 gallon setup. The $50.00 Nova would have covered my needs fine for the to. I hope the light's not too small for my 29 in the end.

petkingdom619

they raised the price of the 48 inch. I think with all the work to put into adding a splash gaurd and fans, I might just buy nova extreme instead

Mine came in today, finally. Looks really nice with the metal casing and all. Solid construction. Definately buit to be around for a while. Wife made me promiss to wrap it and put it under the tree so back in the box it goes.

Steve

Mine came in today, finally. Looks really nice with the metal casing and all. Solid construction. Definately buit to be around for a while. Wife made me promiss to wrap it and put it under the tree so back in the box it goes.

Steve

i hate that! my wife makes me do that crap too...

So I was all excited to get my light today. I tore open the box and....

IMG_0359.jpg

NO BULBS INSIDE!!!!!

Had to call and leave a message with hellolights....Anybody else have this problem?

IMG_0359.jpg

NO BULBS INSIDE!!!!!

Had to call and leave a message with hellolights....Anybody else have this problem?

Oh you got pwnd!!! Surely they will get you some bulbs on the way. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service. That is a total tease to have to look at it with no bulbs!! I'm going on a week with my 24" fixture and am really pleased with the performance :D

IMG_0359.jpg

NO BULBS INSIDE!!!!!

Looks like the elves were taking a smoke break with yours.. B)

Nice deal though - I'm sure they'll take care of you. For you guys who have a 75 gallon or other tank that uses that 8 bulb unit - that's one helluva deal. I'm jealous.

Crackerballer

Go ahead and ask them to cut you a deal and some nicer bulbs. I think they carry KZ and some UVLs if I am not mistaken. Just ask if you can get the nicer bulbs half off.

I actually just got off the phone with them and they said they are going to ship me out 8 new bulbs. Apparently some of the units they got had broken bulbs in them and someone forgot to replace mine after the broken ones were taken out. I also went ahead and orded the suspension kit due to the fact that none of my mounting idea's were gonna work.

Which leads me to my next question. Does anyone have any idea how to find a stud in your ceiling (and or has anyone mounted this thing from their ceiling)? I've tried using a stud finder but it doesn't really work b/c I have one of those pop corn effects goning on in my ceiling. I'm slightly concerned about this thing coming crashing down on my aquarium now...

well depending on the type of ceiling you got..you may not need to find a stud..my ceiling under the popcorn crap you got is line with some thin wood and my hooks went right into that..i even pulled on it with alot of weight and didnt budge

Actually I just went and bought some epoxy from Ace Hardware (apparently the kind they use on engine blocks). I think what I'm going to do is glue the legs for the Tek light onto the light itself and (after making darn sure it is completely dry) put the light on top of the tank that way. I didn't really like the idea/look of hanging something from my ceiling (and also not knowing what I'd be drilling into since its an apartment). I'll toss this idea around for a couple days though while I wait for the bulbs to arrive before I do it. Has anyone else tried gluing metal to metal?

well depending on the type of ceiling you got..you may not need to find a stud..my ceiling under the popcorn crap you got is line with some thin wood and my hooks went right into that..i even pulled on it with alot of weight and didnt budge

Dp you live in an old home - that sounds like lathe.

I like the idea of studfinders - but the one I have only works when it wants to. I had to find some studs the other day to hang a wall track in the garage - ended up using the old tested hammer thumping the wall til I found something solid. Grabbed a wire nail - and 3 small holes to find the center of the stud - and the track is up. I suppose I'll be using the same mehtod on ceiling.

Archived