Innovative Marine Aquariums

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

Dp you live in an old home - that sounds like lathe.

I like the idea of studfinders - but the one I have only works when it wants to. I had to find some studs the other day to hang a wall track in the garage - ended up using the old tested hammer thumping the wall til I found something solid. Grabbed a wire nail - and 3 small holes to find the center of the stud - and the track is up. I suppose I'll be using the same mehtod on ceiling.

I tried the studfinder on the ceiling and it doesn't work (due to the popcorn crap). The ceiling has some thick plaster on it so I'm not sure abou tthe thumping method either...I'm still kinda leaning towards the epoxy method...I think that should work pretty well. Any thoughts?

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine today and I also got the tek legs. The light is about 1.5 inches shorter than the tank but I think I can swing it I am gonna get some nuts to fit the mounting screws that come with the legs and use washers to distribute what little weight the light is across a larger surface area. I am gonna use about a 3/4 inch stand off from the edges of the light then drill the holes and mount the legs. this should be pretty easy and I still paid about 160 dollars for a good light. I dont know how well the JB weld will work on the powdercoating and I wouldnt trust it anyway, just break out the drill and pop some hiles in the housing its safer and it will look better.

iNanoReef4food

Can someone post some pics of their mounting legs? I am interested in anyone who rigged something from scratch. I don't want to waste $60 on the Tek legs.

I got mine today and I also got the tek legs. The light is about 1.5 inches shorter than the tank but I think I can swing it I am gonna get some nuts to fit the mounting screws that come with the legs and use washers to distribute what little weight the light is across a larger surface area. I am gonna use about a 3/4 inch stand off from the edges of the light then drill the holes and mount the legs. this should be pretty easy and I still paid about 160 dollars for a good light. I dont know how well the JB weld will work on the powdercoating and I wouldnt trust it anyway, just break out the drill and pop some hiles in the housing its safer and it will look better.

I looked into doing that but I think you'll have to take the entire light apart in order to do that b/c of the way the outer covering is made...The way it looks to me is you'll have to take the reflectors apart and go through the light from the bottom to get to the top. I'm not sure how much I trust myself to do something like that. If I were to epoxy it I'd let it sit on my floor for a couple days in order to see if the epoxy could hold the weight. Now if there's an easier way to take the light apart please tell me b/c my original idea was to do exactly what you're doing.

Here's a pic of the Tek Legs

IMG_0360.jpg

While this is a steal of a good deal. I would put in a new Ballast(s) as workhouse are instant start ballast that shorten the life of the bulbs and are not as good as say and icecap or advance. I was very tempted to buy it but the i'm in mid process of building a ATI knock off lol

for the price of the fixture u can buy a icecap ballast and still have less money in it than buying a tek.

I had an icecap laying around so I'm very happy with the 100 dollar fixture . I'm using a simple pvc

structure to mount it. One of my monti's is bleaching out so I will say it is a big improvement over

my 250 mh. I'm working on a way to mount fans in it for active cooling with a splash shield. hopefully

in the next few days I will have it done fingers crossed. will post up when done

I looked into doing that but I think you'll have to take the entire light apart in order to do that b/c of the way the outer covering is made...The way it looks to me is you'll have to take the reflectors apart and go through the light from the bottom to get to the top. I'm not sure how much I trust myself to do something like that. If I were to epoxy it I'd let it sit on my floor for a couple days in order to see if the epoxy could hold the weight. Now if there's an easier way to take the light apart please tell me b/c my original idea was to do exactly what you're doing.

Here's a pic of the Tek Legs

IMG_0360.jpg

I wouldn't trust the epoxy to be honest. If you have managed to get the reflector out, you might as well drill the fixture and bolt the legs to it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with epoxy hold my fixture over my tank.

OK ..finally at 4:30PM Fed Ex delivered :rolleyes:

here are the pix of the fixture and of the fixture sitting over my 10g contest tank, so far I am very pleased with it...now to figure out how to make it have 2 power switches

before with a 18" 2x 20 watt nova extreme 1x 10000k 1x 460 nm

P1010055-4.jpg

and with the 24" HL fixture

resize.jpg

random pix

resize3.jpg

resize2-1.jpg

P1010028-8.jpg

P1010042-7.jpg

P1010018-6.jpg

P1010021-7.jpg

It will work great over the 15g or 20H I am planning in the future, I am going to work it into a canopy

:D

Maria

Militant Jurist

I FINALLY got my 24" Nova Extreme (2x24). It looks a bit different, but I guess that's what happens with the built in individual reflectors and T5 bulbs! It's on the 10 gallon right now, but it will be built into the 20L soon enough. I'm definitely glad I made the jump and got on the T5HO wagon.

Hey guys

I was just testing it so that you guiys could see the difference, I had it leaning for the pix, it is not permanent lol ..that is my contest tank so I cannot use this fixture on it :)

It does have a glass top sitting on the tank..I will most likely work it into a canopy for a 20H

It is a more pink color than the 460 nm bulbs, I am going to buy new bulbs when I do use it

Maria

It does have a glass top sitting on the tank..I will most likely work it into a canopy for a 20H

It is a more pink color than the 460 nm bulbs, I am going to buy new bulbs when I do use it

Maria

You wouldn't by chance have a 29 gallon tank layin around you could give us a pic of it over that tank. I'm hoping it will cover that size with proper lighting.

Archived