Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just did a google for rare earth magnets and it was the first on the list...LOL, had no idea if it was a good deal or not...glad it worked out well for you guys!!

Shipping is like $5.00...I just ordered some magnets from them for my splash guard....

$14.00 for magnets - that could have cost me $1.00 if I was paying attention this weekend.

D'OH!!!!

:o

Mod-ing my 8 bulb fixture today and tomorrow.

So far I've added a second cord for separate control over each set of bulbs and made some not too ghetto legs out of some aluminium I had. Tomorrow I'll paint the legs and work on a plexi shield.

Hopefully, pics tomorrow if all goes well fingersx01.gif

Finally got my splash guard on. My original plan was to use those cheap stick on magnets that you can buy at any hardware store but those failed miserably so I went with the rare earth magnets that Evil suggested and they worked great.

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

what are you using for a splash guard? it seems like acrylic sheet. any one experience any warping with it?

yep, it warps, quite noticeably, and mine are on the top of the tank, more square pieces, not 48" continuous and not right up against the lamps, mine are maybe 2" away and they warp pretty badly

i am actually thinking twice about this thinking i may go glass for the tops, although it doesn't have the same refractive index as acrylic (which is almost identical to saltwater), it wont expand, warp, etc.....

yep, it warps, quite noticeably, and mine are on the top of the tank, more square pieces, not 48" continuous and not right up against the lamps, mine are maybe 2" away and they warp pretty badly

i am actually thinking twice about this thinking i may go glass for the tops, although it doesn't have the same refractive index as acrylic (which is almost identical to saltwater), it wont expand, warp, etc.....

Weight would be a bigger factor though.

As for me, I already had the plexiglass so it was a no-brainer to try it and see.

It's actually plexi glass (not sure if that makes a difference or not). If it warps I'm giving up on the splash guard all together though. I've already got the light like like 6" away from the water so I think the splashing and evap will be minimal anyways.

Weight would be a bigger factor though.

As for me, I already had the plexiglass so it was a no-brainer to try it and see.

i am talking about using tank tops, not a light fixture attached shield :)

Obi Juan kenobi
Could you link the 8 bulb one and is this still going on? If this has been answered before, sorry, I didn't read through all the pages.

I believe the the 8 bulb are long gone

Could you link the 8 bulb one and is this still going on? If this has been answered before, sorry, I didn't read through all the pages.

I believe the the 8 bulb are long gone

yep, they were gone when it was still 2008

• 3 weeks later...

how hard would it be to add a second cord and switch to the lights. So I can avoid startling the tanks inhabitants by having all four bulbs come on at once.

GrandpaFeathers

I think it was done earlier in this thread.

On a side note: I ordered two of these fixtures, and they called saying they only had one left.

Luckily I found an unused one later that week for sale.

Archived