Coral Vue Hydros

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

Just pulled the trigger on mine @ $137 shipped.

Ill probably just buy some Tek mounting legs, disassemble the light and drill the necessary holes to bolt mount them on there.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
about 6bucks worth of stuff at home depot

KH5V0145.jpg

KH5V0146.jpg

same thing i did with my halide pendant, only i used 3/16" thick wire that is coated...LOL, it could hold up a car if the hooks would hold it

Hmm... Not bad, I may rig something up using universal L brackets to use as tank legs instead...

That's what i did..kinda ghetto but it serves the purpose.

iNanoReef4food
This is what I plan on doing to mod my fixture. I am going on friday to the local hardware store and have them cut me a thin piece of plexi for the splash gaurd. Then I am going to buy 6 to 8 magnets and some Gorllia Gule. I am going to glue the magnets to the plexi so I can pop the splash gaurd on and off to clean it and no holes to drill or bolts to deal with. Then I am going to buy two 80mm silent computer fans. I am goning to gut the fixture and cut the last two vents out for the fan placement. I will put them so they blow air into the fixture. The air will escape threw the other vents, and also the gap left by the magnets on my splash gaurd. I have the 48 inch fixture but im sure this will work for the 24 aswell. For the 24 I would use only 4 to 6 magnets and two or one 20mm or 40mm silent fans.

Does anyone know of a hardware store that will cut acrylic for you? I went to Home Depot and they refuse to cut acrylic or glass. It's their policy. I live near Baltimore, MD.

By the way, I made some legs for my light using some T-plates. It looks pretty good. I will post some pictures later.

Does anyone know of a hardware store that will cut acrylic for you? I went to Home Depot and they refuse to cut acrylic or glass. It's their policy. I live near Baltimore, MD.

By the way, I made some legs for my light using some T-plates. It looks pretty good. I will post some pictures later.

I don't know about acrylic, but any local (as in small hardware store) will cut glass for you.

My local HomeDepot doesn't cut Glass but my local Lowes does cut both. The Acrylic is very easy to cut with a straight edge and a utility knife with a new blade. I normally use my table saw but the blade works well also. Just score it real good and bend it over the edge of the table to break it down the score.

Steve

This is what I plan on doing to mod my fixture. I am going on friday to the local hardware store and have them cut me a thin piece of plexi for the splash gaurd. Then I am going to buy 6 to 8 magnets and some Gorllia Gule. I am going to glue the magnets to the plexi so I can pop the splash gaurd on and off to clean it and no holes to drill or bolts to deal with. Then I am going to buy two 80mm silent computer fans. I am goning to gut the fixture and cut the last two vents out for the fan placement. I will put them so they blow air into the fixture. The air will escape threw the other vents, and also the gap left by the magnets on my splash gaurd. I have the 48 inch fixture but im sure this will work for the 24 aswell. For the 24 I would use only 4 to 6 magnets and two or one 20mm or 40mm silent fans.

Dude you rock. I'm doing this.

I will have a pic up of the Tek legs mounted on mine in a few days I just need to go get the camera, And I think I will look at making a cover with the magnets that is a sweet idea.

Go to Lowes. They cut Acrylic on the spot to your dimensions.

reefernanoman

I just the 48" fixture for my 75g tank with the hanging kit. I could not pass on this deal! I paid $186 shipping and all. I wa using a 300w aquapod mh fixture on my tank but I got tired of my light bill and heat issues.

I got the 4bulb 48" fixture. I'm only keeping lps and softies in this tank anyways. They were sold out of the 8 bulb version. I think still got a good deal right? I hope. I could have gotten the 48" nova extreme pro instead, but that fixture is $392 with their contoured reflector.

Ahhhhhhh! Need pics with legs! lol. I was going to hang the fixture but this house is old and I'm not comfortable hanging it from the ceiling. My other option was to hang it from the wall using L-Brackets but I'm leaning more towards doing legs so that way if I had to move the tank then there's no problem moving the fixture along with it.

I hope that this 48" 4 bulb fixture is better than the nova extreme pro 48" fixture(6 bulbs). What do you guys think?

I dont know...6 bulbs would probably give a good bit more light..those new nova extremes have teh individual reflectors as well. So it probably would be a better light but its alot more money

reefernanoman
I dont know...6 bulbs would probably give a good bit more light..those new nova extremes have teh individual reflectors as well. So it probably would be a better light but its alot more money

yeah i guess so. I priced the 48" tek light( 4 bulbs) with lights included and it came out to more than $400 so I guess you can't beat this deal

I got my 24" fixture today. Can't wait to get this set up on my 20H tank in a couple weeks. I like the idea of using magnets to make a splash guard, may have to use that. :D

So the Fedex man finally came today. All the lights worked and I was able to DIY the tek legs so that they work great with the lights (just drilled 5 holes on each sided and bolted them in...). Here are some pics

Lights on:

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Lights off:

IMG_0367.jpg

Drilled holes:

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

bolted the legs:

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Ta-Da!

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

This thing does put off some heat though. I've got my cooling fan going and I think/hope that'll keep the temp under control. The temp has been holding steady at 81.2 for the last 20 min or so (after about a .8 degree drop after I turned on the fan). I'm toying with the idea of getting another (smaller, quiter) fan and putting it ontop of the aquarium to assist with the cooling and air flow as well.

Archived