Coral Vue Hydros

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

Crackerballer

Can someone measure the thickness of the metal right on that lip around the light where you would drill to mount the shield? I want to order the rivets from McMaster-Carr but my lights are still boxed up in my garage. Thanks!

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are the end caps water proof? they don't look like it.

I don't think so. When I was talking to the rep at Hellolights - I asked if it would be easy to replace the end caps with water proof ones - and he never corrected me that the fixture had Waterproof caps. He did say they have been running one of the fixtures for 2 years without any problems though.

Ok everyone so I mounted the teklight legs to the fixture tonight it actually wasnt too bad. I did this to the 24 inch fixture. What I did was gutted the light and then took my measurements to determine the size difference between the light and the 20H tank, it was about 1/4 inch per side making it a total of 1/2 inch. Then I marked the centerline of the fixture it was about 6 1/32 inches, then measuring in 1/4 of an inch from the short edges of the fixture. I then measured out the dimensions from the sides to the mounting holes on the legs using the long slot twords the outside as my center mounting point, for max adjustment. I then used the two outside holes on the legs as my two outer mounting points, these were about 4 1/4 inches in from the long edges of the fixture. I marked all dimensions as I was working. The final dimension I measured was for the center rear of the outside slots on the legs this dimension was 1 7/8 inches. I then centerpunched and predrilled all the points with a 1/16 inch drill bit followed by a 1/4 inch drill bit. The bolts supplied with the legs are 1/4-20 threads. I went to the hardware store and got 6 1/4-20 bolts and 6 washers that would fit properly. I then mounted the legs tightened everything down and then reassembled the light. I placed it on top of the tank and adjusted the slides on the bottom of the legs to fit the tank.

I dont see any problems with the weight of the light distorting the sheet metal, and it sits pretty solidly on the top of the tank.

I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow with my camera phone and get them posted

Casey

Ok everyone so I mounted the teklight legs to the fixture tonight it actually wasnt too bad. I did this to the 24 inch fixture. What I did was gutted the light and then took my measurements to determine the size difference between the light and the 20H tank, it was about 1/4 inch per side making it a total of 1/2 inch. Then I marked the centerline of the fixture it was about 6 1/32 inches, then measuring in 1/4 of an inch from the short edges of the fixture. I then measured out the dimensions from the sides to the mounting holes on the legs using the long slot twords the outside as my center mounting point, for max adjustment. I then used the two outside holes on the legs as my two outer mounting points, these were about 4 1/4 inches in from the long edges of the fixture. I marked all dimensions as I was working. The final dimension I measured was for the center rear of the outside slots on the legs this dimension was 1 7/8 inches. I then centerpunched and predrilled all the points with a 1/16 inch drill bit followed by a 1/4 inch drill bit. The bolts supplied with the legs are 1/4-20 threads. I went to the hardware store and got 6 1/4-20 bolts and 6 washers that would fit properly. I then mounted the legs tightened everything down and then reassembled the light. I placed it on top of the tank and adjusted the slides on the bottom of the legs to fit the tank.

I dont see any problems with the weight of the light distorting the sheet metal, and it sits pretty solidly on the top of the tank.

I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow with my camera phone and get them posted

Casey

Okay to much description for me....lol... :huh: ....I'm confused...All I'm going to do is put the legs center part of the light mark where my drill holls will be, drill, and then put the screws and washers in and bolt. Or am I missing something major here?

Can anyone with the 48" 4 bulb tell me if it has two ballast or just one? A friend of mine is looking into this light. I got my 24" today, Ill post some pics up soon with the ATI bulbs in it.

Picture1388.jpg

Picture1387.jpg

Picture1390.jpg

Picture1389.jpg

Front

ATI blue plus

UVL super actinic

ATI aquablue special

ATI blue blus

Its pretty blue, so Im gonna change out the super actinic with a figi purple sometime.

Picture1388.jpg

Picture1387.jpg

Picture1390.jpg

Picture1389.jpg

Front

ATI blue plus

UVL super actinic

ATI aquablue special

ATI blue blus

Its pretty blue, so Im gonna change out the super actinic with a figi purple sometime.

can you replace the Actinic with the stock 10k bulb and take a pic...I wanna see how it looks with that combo

the reason I made the adjustment to have the legs stand off of the fixture is because the legs wouldnt fit a 20H and mount flush against the fixture. honestly it wasnt that hard to measure everything out and mount the legs to the light. it gave me something to do while the paint was drying on the back of the tank.

the reason I made the adjustment to have the legs stand off of the fixture is because the legs wouldnt fit a 20H and mount flush against the fixture. honestly it wasnt that hard to measure everything out and mount the legs to the light. it gave me something to do while the paint was drying on the back of the tank.

Looking forward to your pics. Are you going to do a splash guard for yours?

Hellolights is selling this

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1718

they also have the 48" 4bulb for $100 and the 48" 8bulb for $150

Forgot to say good call! Hellolights should give you a commission lol.

Just found this thread after the fact. I received my 48" 8 bulb fixture yesterday. This looks like a steal for under $200 shipped! I probably won't get to it til after New Year's, but I plan on adding a shield with standoffs and modding to two power cord. Still undecided about legs though, so keep the ideas coming! Nice thread!

YOu big tank - 8 lamp guys got a STEAL on that fixture with bulbs.

After watching LA Fishguy's videos on Youtube servicing all those larger tanks - I think I'll be happy with a 29 or 50 gallon at most. Looks like the 100+ tanks take alot of work to keep looking nice.

Just found this thread after the fact. I received my 48" 8 bulb fixture yesterday. This looks like a steal for under $200 shipped! I probably won't get to it til after New Year's, but I plan on adding a shield with standoffs and modding to two power cord. Still undecided about legs though, so keep the ideas coming! Nice thread!

dont bother, called them today, they are sold out of those, they only have the 24" and 48" fixtures with 4 bulbs

if anyone knows where i can get one, maybe someone bought one but decided they dont want or need it, let me know please

Here's my contribution - the Bird landed today

GREAT Shipping packaging btw - kudos to Hello Lights for that

Here's the 24" fixture over a 29 gallon tank - in a dark basement against a flat Grey wall with no flash

2x24Lightover29gal-1.jpg?t=1230070074

Here's the Contents of the hanging kit for anybody interested ( contents - 2 bolts with wall anchor / locking nut - 2 slotted bolts to hold wire to ceiling - and 2 caps to affix to ceiling. Also - a compression fit fit to attach wire end to wire holder - that tightens onto the fixture wire via allen screw and a slot. Looks neat and tidy - but no premium features that allow for adjustment of hanging height. )

Hellolight-kit-1.jpg?t=1230070236

Slotted Cap close view

slottedcap.jpg?t=1230070632

Exloded view of Slotted cap

explodedviewofslottedcap.jpg?t=1230070707

Instructions on package for Wire hanging kit

Instructionshangingkit.jpg?t=1230070786

It looks like this lamp will work very well over my future 29 gallon Tank upgrade ( upgraded from a 10 gallon I don't even have runnin yet... LOL )

dont bother, called them today, they are sold out of those, they only have the 24" and 48" fixtures with 4 bulbs

I was saying I got mine in on Monday B)

I had stumbled on the fixture on their site while looking for new VHO bulbs. Just lucky I guess.

This is what I plan on doing to mod my fixture. I am going on friday to the local hardware store and have them cut me a thin piece of plexi for the splash gaurd. Then I am going to buy 6 to 8 magnets and some Gorllia Gule. I am going to glue the magnets to the plexi so I can pop the splash gaurd on and off to clean it and no holes to drill or bolts to deal with. Then I am going to buy two 80mm silent computer fans. I am goning to gut the fixture and cut the last two vents out for the fan placement. I will put them so they blow air into the fixture. The air will escape threw the other vents, and also the gap left by the magnets on my splash gaurd. I have the 48 inch fixture but im sure this will work for the 24 aswell. For the 24 I would use only 4 to 6 magnets and two or one 20mm or 40mm silent fans.

Actually, the magnets are a really good idea. Sometimes it's the simplest things that slip by us.

You must show pictures when you are done.

This is what I plan on doing to mod my fixture. I am going on friday to the local hardware store and have them cut me a thin piece of plexi for the splash gaurd. Then I am going to buy 6 to 8 magnets and some Gorllia Gule. I am going to glue the magnets to the plexi so I can pop the splash gaurd on and off to clean it and no holes to drill or bolts to deal with. Then I am going to buy two 80mm silent computer fans. I am goning to gut the fixture and cut the last two vents out for the fan placement. I will put them so they blow air into the fixture. The air will escape threw the other vents, and also the gap left by the magnets on my splash gaurd. I have the 48 inch fixture but im sure this will work for the 24 aswell. For the 24 I would use only 4 to 6 magnets and two or one 20mm or 40mm silent fans.

Can hardly wait for pics!

Archived