Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

Thanks for the great pics Weet they helped quench my impatience for my fixture to arrive :D So there is no cover on the fixture huh. Is it safe to run it open like that? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to T5's I would be kinda worried about water splashing on the bulbs/reflectors etc...

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crackerballer

If there is a slot to slide the piece into then I don't see why not xtra0t, I was wondering if they just slid in or screwed into some holes. WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THE 24" TEK PEOPLE TO POST SOME PICS FOR US TO COMPARE! :owned:

If there is a slot to slide the piece into then I don't see why not xtra0t, I was wondering if they just slid in or screwed into some holes. WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THE 24" TEK PEOPLE TO POST SOME PICS FOR US TO COMPARE! :owned:

They're mad because we got such a sweet deal :lol:

Looking at the pic it doesn't look like there is a slot for a cover. Also you could create a heat issue with a cover because there are no fans.

The biggest difference I see in the reflectors is it looks like they screw into the fixture. The Tek reflectors clamp onto the actual bulbs

the reflectors in my Tek T5 aren't individual to each bulb, and don't clamp to the bulbs, they look just the the one pictured on the HL light. as far as i know, only the Tek T5 Retro Fit Kits feature individual clamp on reflectors.

yeah, based on Weetabix7's pics, it doesn't look like the HL units have the top center screws needed in order to use the Tek brackets.

and, the Teks don't utilize fans either...they're vented just like the HL units. Also, on the Teks, the splash guard slides onto the interior lip of the light's cover (no screws). I wouldn't use the light without a cover...cleaning those reflectors will not only be very difficult, but will probably damage their reflective surface...

The light that it puts out with the bulbs that come with the fixture looks a little too pink to me, but I was planning on upgrading the bulbs anyway...

I'm thinking of starting a thread that shows FTS's for the ppl on here that use T5HO and lists their bulb combos.

I think it might be helpful to get a lot of T5HO info in one place, I don't think we really have anything like that on here right now.

The light that it puts out with the bulbs that come with the fixture looks a little too pink to me, but I was planning on upgrading the bulbs anyway...

yeah, i had a couple UVL AquaSun's on my Tek and they were really pinkish IMO, I swapped them out for a couple Giesemann Pure Actinic 03's. Now I'm running two Giesemann Pure Actinic 03's, two UVL 75/25's, two UVL Actinic White's, and two UVL Super Actinics. It's a nice contrast...not too white, not too blue...and not at all yellow or pink.

Just bought one myself!!!! :D

I wasn't even planning on setting up a second tank for a while...

Too good of a deal to pass up though. I doubt they will last long at this rate,

Get it while you can!!!! (you know you want to :P )

Some advice on the fixtures:

1. Try to get them 4-5" above the water line. Output is better this way.

2. Dont use the acrylic shields on them. They cause the bulbs to heat up and burn hotter decreasing the PAR value and shortening the life of the bulbs.

If you look at Weeties pics, try to keep the labels on the bulbs on the same end of the light and have a fan blow across this end of the bulbs. Cooler bulbs last longer.

3. The procolor and k-figi purple arent recommend on the 4 bulb fixtures. ATI bluespecial, ATI blue plus, UVL 75/25, UVL Aquasun and UVL super actinic are good choices.

As far as bulbs go its really up to YOU in what you want and how the color looks to YOU.

For those that were wondering, here's how the Tek brackets attach to the Tek T5's. Wow, camera flash sure does highlight dust, doesn't it...I'm embarrassed.

IMG_2934.jpg

and how they look from the front:

DSCN0044.jpg

has anyone tried the tek light legs yet I am thinking about getting a pair and if I have to I will drill holes as needed in the fixture to make them work.

For those that were wondering, here's how the Tek brackets attach to the Tek T5's. Wow, camera flash sure does highlight dust, doesn't it...I'm embarrassed.

IMG_2934.jpg

and how they look from the front:

DSCN0044.jpg

Nuts...looks like I'll be drilling the light...

Hey how did you make/where did you purchase the screen for the top of your aquarium?

I am thinking about holding off and just building a set out of acrylic. I may also DIY a fan into the fixture as well as run an extra powercord and add another switch as well. What can I say I cant leave anything alone

I just compared pics of weeties fixture and the tek legs and to me it looks like if you want to do the tek legs you will be drilling

Hey how did you make/where did you purchase the screen for the top of your aquarium?

I sent you a pm on the screen lid...

also, the holes on the Tek light, for attachment of the bracket, are threaded and reinforced. If you drill the top of you light and just attach the bracket to the lid without reinforcement you will likely cause the shape of the top to distort as it will be supporting the entire weight of the fixture...just something to think about.

Archived