Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

I just called hello lighting and they said they do not know if the Tek Legs will fit onto their lighting system and there is only 1 power cord that comes with the lights (2 switches however).

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
which bulb configuration did you get?

24" 4 bulb..

and yes they do come with bulbs.. They're "TRU" brand.. I'll probably upgrade bulbs in 6months to ATI

24" 4 bulb..

and yes they do come with bulbs.. They're "TRU" brand.. I'll probably upgrade bulbs in 6months to ATI

sweet. so i can space out the $180 i'll be spending on geismann/ati's.

and how are you people getting your lights so fast? mine's not scheduled for delivery until the 16th :(

My fixture measures in shorter than expected at exactly 22 3/4" long, so there would be very little visible overhang if used over a 10g tank.

I didn't pay for a hanging kit, but it came attached, as seen in pics.

1 switch and 1 cord on mine.

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

So how do those reflectors look to you guys?

How do they compare to more expensive "name brand" fixtures?

My fixture measures in shorter than expected at exactly 22 3/4" long, so there would be very little visible overhang if used over a 10g tank.

I didn't pay for a hanging kit, but it came attached, as seen in pics.

1 switch and 1 cord on mine.

Is there a cover over the bulbs? Those ends don't look waterproof.

that's the exact same end-cap configuration that the Teks use, I have an 8-bulb Tek T5 and I can't believe how closely these resemble mine. though the single powercord and single switch are definitely different from the Teks. my unit has two cords and two switches.

btw-acrylic covers and brackets are't included with the Teks either. they sell those separately. i added both to my unit and am very happy that i did. i wonder if the Tek add-ons will fit your unit?

that's the exact same end-cap configuration that the Teks use, I have an 8-bulb Tek T5 and I can't believe how closely these resemble mine. though the single powercord and single switch are definitely different from the Teks. my unit has two cords and two switches.

btw-acrylic covers and brackets are't included with the Teks either. they sell those separately. i added both to my unit and am very happy that i did. i wonder if the Tek add-ons will fit your unit?

So the reflectors on this look like the reflectors on your Tek fixture?

That was one of my big concerns, whether the reflectors would be good quality.

I think I'm gonna stick this over my 16g tank today in place of the 150w MH just to see the difference.

Also, GrimReefer (the T5HO guru on RC) says that it's much better to run these fixtures without a cover. Apparently a cover really cuts down on the light that reaches the corals.

Also, GrimReefer (the T5HO guru on RC) says that it's much better to run these fixtures without a cover. Apparently a cover really cuts down on the light that reaches the corals.

my unit was WAY too bright for my tank...so cutting down the amount of light reaching my corals is probably a good thing. The Tek brackets are kind of pricey...they run around $65. and as far as the acrylic splash guards go, I'd rather wipe down acrylic than have to try to remove water spots and salt accumulation from the reflectors themselves...

BK, I just have to say that I LOVE your new av!!! :wub:

Put light over my tank, def. different look from MH, it's bringing purples and to a lesser extent pinks out a lot more than the Phoenix 14k I've had over it.

Crackerballer

Seeing a lot of good stuff on here. Oh and it still says $100 for me to the guy who said they went up.

I hope both mine come with hanging kits. Someone needs to post and show how the Tek legs fit on the Tek fixtures so we can see if they will fit the HL ones. Also, same with the acrylic for the tek kit, someone needs to measure it. I will be doing some research here in a few.

One of mine comes in on Tuesday and the other just shipped. Mine won't be setup for a while but I will probably just hardwire each ballast separate and bypass the switch to make it work with my RK2 easier, or if I get frisky I may wire up a 2nd toggle switch and mount it on the fixture with my dremel.

EDIT: Will someone who has already received theres let us know if the acrylic shield will fit, Here is the info from ReefGeek

Manufacturer: Sunlight Supply

Dimensions: 22.9" x 7.9" x 0.1" (L x W x H)

Availability: In Stock - Usually ships in 24 hours

Item #: SLS4201

Acrylic shield for 24" Tek Light: 4-24W fixture

The biggest difference I see in the reflectors is it looks like they screw into the fixture. The Tek reflectors clamp onto the actual bulbs

Crackerballer

Do the ends look like they have the holes to mount the tek legs like seen in this pic? Looks like they screw in to me.

lt-tek%20t-5%20light%20fixture%20new%201.jpg

tek%20legs.jpg

EDIT* looks like maybe they screw in the top?

Archived