Pod Your Reef

Killer T5HO deal

05XRunner

Has anyone that has the light looked to see how to attach a splash guard? Looking at the pics, the only way it looks like you can install a guard is to screw it to the bottom of the fixture. That being the case, why couldn't you use 1/4-1/2" spacers between the fixture and the guard. That would allow venting and air flow over the bulbs if you used a fan like the one whiteshark posted.

Yea I really like that idea. This should allow cooler air to enter the bottom and the hot air to exit the top or sides. Although it will retain some heat it won't be near as bad as with the lid closing the bottom completely. I'm going this route for sure.

Steve

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well i still have the light fixture in my cart from a few days ago so it is still only $100 for me but i cant decide if i should get one and put it over my 34g RSM or get it and start a small sps dominated tank.....GRRR

did ya get the light? dooo eeet

I keep looking for an email but nada yet..Happy I got in before they raised it $25 lol

when someone gets theres post a pic of the fixture on, I wanna see what I am getting haha

M

Crackerballer

Just saw mine says that they tried to deliver it at 8:30 this morning and no one was home. I HOPE they left it at the apt complex office and I can get it when I get off. Either way I have to work at my other job tonight so it will be 10:30 before I can look at it, and more likely it will be tomorrow.

mine still says on truck for delivery...I am home now so hope they dont just keep it on the truck till tomorrow. Thats something fedex would do. I hate that shipping company

Ordered mine last night :happy:. Hopefully it gets here before the end of the week. Wish I got it for the $100, I could have used the $25 to buy some coral :lol:

Has anyone else gotten their fixtures yet today?

I received mine on Saturday. The difference between this T5 and the PC I was using is unbelievable!! I ended up mounting mine ghetto style until I figure something better out. I'm also watching your T5 info thread so I can order some new bulbs. Thanks for getting that going :D

well as soon as I open my moouth they show up..seems like a nice fixture. I dont know if its cause I have no water and its just an empty tank sitting there but doesnt seem as bright as I expected

well as soon as I open my moouth they show up..seems like a nice fixture. I dont know if its cause I have no water and its just an empty tank sitting there but doesnt seem as bright as I expected

Where are the pics man.

Crackerballer
My tank is pretty shallow if I used 2 70w vipers one on each back panel kinds like one of the Japanese tank would It penetrate the water enough and give enough spread?

Where are the pics man.

Ditto, I don't expect these to be super bright, esp with the TRU bulbs. That's why I ordered 2 :naughtydance:

I received mine on Saturday. The difference between this T5 and the PC I was using is unbelievable!! I ended up mounting mine ghetto style until I figure something better out. I'm also watching your T5 info thread so I can order some new bulbs. Thanks for getting that going :D

What PC were you using before?

What kind of color difference are you seeing between the PC you were using and this?

It doesn't seem as bright to me either, but I'm not sure if that's cause of bulb quality.

Ditto, I don't expect these to be super bright, esp with the TRU bulbs. That's why I ordered 2 :naughtydance:

So are you saying TRU bulbs aren't as bright?

I would think the brightness would be affected by the ballast and reflectors used, rather than brand of bulb.

I would expect bulb brand to have more affect on color and PAR output.

But then this is also my first foray into T5HO, so what do I know, I'm just basing those assumptions on all of the research I've been doing so far.

BTW, I posted several pics of my fixture a couple of pages back.

What PC were you using before?

What kind of color difference are you seeing between the PC you were using and this?

I was using a 130 watt Coralife PC with 60 watt 10k and 60 watt actinic. For me the T5 is a lot more crisp and seems have better color towards the bottom of my tank than the PC had. It's hard for me to say how it affects corals since My setup is bare in that area. My 10G is still very young and I've been very cautious about adding any livestock. The selection here in Arkansas is pretty slim and it's so cold outside I don't wanna risk shipping anything at the moment. I really like the look of Travis's 4 bulb setup on your T5 info thread and I'm leaning towards that bulb combo. I'm probably going to order 5 bulbs and play around with it a little.

*edit* I'm about to do a water change and some glass cleanup and I'll snap a pic of mine so we can compare.

Wow if it is that blue I may have to hold off on an order for bulbs

Yes it does take a few minutes to warm up for them to get brighter..also the bulb may change color a bit as they warm up :) leave it on for at least 30 minutes to see what it really looks like

looks good!!

i did custom white balance and edit after the shot..BUT i edited the pic so they looked like they do with my eyes. not how the camera takes into the white balance. the original image the actinics are pink because it throws of the cameras ability to white balance it right. so i made it how it looks to me..and I think i got it pretty close.

i did custom white balance and edit after the shot..BUT i edited the pic so they looked like they do with my eyes. not how the camera takes into the white balance. the original image the actinics are pink because it throws of the cameras ability to white balance it right. so i made it how it looks to me..and I think i got it pretty close.

You did a pretty good job I'm no expert but it looks close to mine minus the water ;)

Well mine came today and I like it so far. here are a few pics I snaped off

ballast

051.jpg

end cap shot

054.jpg

another of the ballast it's a little fuzzy

052.jpg

very solid fixture. if u wanted to mount a splash guard u will have to drill holes or do some cutting

hope yall enjoy the pics

Ok, I had a little girlfriend aggro so I'm just now getting around to posting the pic of how my lights look over water. Sorry its kinda blurry I don't have a tripod yet. Just posting to give another look of the HL T5 fixture. The light is without a doubt an upgrade over the Coralife PC setup I had. The red in my peppermint shrimp and the colors on the legs of my hermits have a lot more "pop" to them then before. So overall for $100.00 I'm stoked!! B) B) Also I lied about not having any corals..I have one single purple with green mushroom and another un-id encrusting type coral that hitch-hiked in on the LR. I had to move the mushroom to a shaded area and it is looking better than ever..I'm still unsure about the encrusting coral as it happens to be at the very top of my tank.

PC150733.JPG

Great I was worried about the ballast they had in it but i feel better now I see its a workhorse, mine shipped out today so I should have it by the end of the week hopefully the legs get here on the same day so I can get them mounted and see if I can get some pics.

honestly the bulbs will do I mean 100 dollars for a fixture with workhorse ballasts and individual reflectors, Imo would be a steal without bulbs. I will change them in 6 months when it is time to get new ones its going over my frag tank so i think these bulbs will do for now ;)

The ballast is ok for a stock fixture but i just got done wiring my icecap 660 to it and

that MFer is on fire!!! It just seemed to dim for my taste but now it's really bright just

need some new bulbs they looked to pink. If anyone comes up with a good way to put a splash

guard on it or mount fans in it post up.

Archived