Cultivated Reef

DCG1286 90G SPS Reef Tank - NEW PICTURES!

DCG1286

hey, i let my guy eat the whole starfish up slowly! Yes I feel bad but I kinda felt worse keeping him locked up and slicing him every now and then.

uyy i feel bad now hahah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think you could cut them with a scalpel or other sharp instrument. Maybe some heavy duty shears would be best. Just one quick snip. They are pretty voracious so you'd have to feed them regularly especially if you are cutting them up. Might as well put them in your fuge and feed them silverside or something. Oh and remember they prefer algae when they are younger and meat as they age.

tsk tsk tsk dave....how could you?! mutilating a living organism to feed to a pair of carniverous monsters that you think is pretty. :P couldn't you have gone with a vegetarian pair?!?!

and you think you know someone?!? after two years....shame shame :D

love ya :D

I would think you could cut them with a scalpel or other sharp instrument. Maybe some heavy duty shears would be best. Just one quick snip. They are pretty voracious so you'd have to feed them regularly especially if you are cutting them up. Might as well put them in your fuge and feed them silverside or something. Oh and remember they prefer algae when they are younger and meat as they age.

yeah I figured I would stick them in my sump let they veg there ... Oh man ... time to stock up on some C.C. Stars ... lol :D I am sure they will destroy my asterina population in no time :D

-David

I thought asterinas were good? Are they like my pods, too many and they become a nuisance?

I vote for tossing in the star and just letting them do what they need to. Natural (sorta) selection is one thing, scalpels...Let's just say I told hubby that when it's time to frag something, HE"LL have to do it. :D

tsk tsk tsk dave....how could you?! mutilating a living organism to feed to a pair of carniverous monsters that you think is pretty. :P couldn't you have gone with a vegetarian pair?!?!

and you think you know someone?!? after two years....shame shame :D

love ya :D

LoL!!! Hey Sweetie ... you are the one that decided to buy them LoL!!! :D I just said I would feed them .............................. :scarry::rant:omgomgomg:unsure:<_<:slap:

-David

shhh... don't tell anyone this but darling we are a team. when the other one makes really dumb, irrational decisions it is the job of the other to STOP the one making the really dumb, irrational decision!! haha...but you're right. i may have been to one to have bought them but so happy to not be the one mutilating them. LOL!!! who sleeps better at night darling?!?!

**please note that this all said in jest. we are really looking forward to watching a pair of harlequin shrimps pick the chocolate chips off of the chocolate chip starfish that we conveniently named choco!**

love you dave :D

bonnie & clyde of CC's!!! :P:tears:

LoL!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Yeah no kidding ... :haha::owned: The Harlequins are soooooo beautiful though ... so I suppose it is worth it in the end ... lol!!! :D

-David

They are quite beautiful maybe they'll even lay eggs. But what do baby harleys eat?! Baby stars!!!

Oh yeah don't forget CC's like sandbeds so you'll have to give them some sand in that sump of yours. If you want them to happily regrow their legs you'll need to make them comfy. I was reading about how they could get infections after they were injured and I was thinking a iodine dip might not be a bad idea after you hack off a limb.

hmmm unless iodine is bad for starfish? You'll be a pioneer of cutting starfish apart!

David here is a good article on Harlequins although you have probably read this one:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html

They are quite beautiful maybe they'll even lay eggs. But what do baby harleys eat?! Baby stars!!!

Oh yeah don't forget CC's like sandbeds so you'll have to give them some sand in that sump of yours. If you want them to happily regrow their legs you'll need to make them comfy. I was reading about how they could get infections after they were injured and I was thinking a iodine dip might not be a bad idea after you hack off a limb.

hmmm unless iodine is bad for starfish? You'll be a pioneer of cutting starfish apart!

David here is a good article on Harlequins although you have probably read this one:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html

LoL!!! Pioneer of cutting starfish ... it's nature ... that is what I am telling myself ... I am not sure about Iodine and starfish ... I will have to look into that ... it would be nice to keep 5-6 of them in my fuge ... let them heal regrow eat time ... I want to make the CC's as comfy as possible before sending them to there inevitable doom ... LMAO!!! Yes I have a nice deep sandbed in my fuge so it shouldn't be a problem keeping them down there. :happy:

looking good, keep it up :wub:

Thank you very much GGA. You tank is looking great as well!!! :happydance:

-David

Day 4 of Vodka dosing:

So a little update on this ... I have been noticing much more PE from my SPS during the day in particular, at night the polyps are always out full blast. I am seeing new growth around the edges of my SPS ... the montis are basically all encrusted on my rocks now ... along with some of the acros.

Days 1-3: started out by dosing 0.2ml per 25G ... I was VERY conservative with my dosing I really only dosed for 50G, I will be honest I was a bit nervous in starting this. Most noticeable, when dosing, is that 1 hour after the vodka made it into my system ... the water goes CRYSTAL clear.

Nitrates and phosphates reduced tremendously ... I increased the amount of food for the fish and corals to compensate for this drastic decrease. Followed all of the directions according to reefkeeping.com and RC (i don't like the site at all ... but they had a good source of info of this.) along with a few other fellow reefers who are trying this approach.

I have increased the dosage to .25 - 0.3ml today ... no visible stress amongst my fish ... everyone is very happy and enjoying their extra food servings.

I have not noticed some of the side affects of vodka ... slime on the glass and rocks ... black sludge in the skimmer ... so everything seems to be running smoothly.

-David

I love reading this thread more and more! Just a quick note. When I tried the cutting legs, I have scalpel blades and they dont TOUCH IT. I HAD TO USE SHEARS! felt horrible

I thought of giving some lidocaine first but worried about its toxicity (like what they give you at the dentist)

I just toss the poor Choco in the tank and let my harley have at him! I like the vegeteraina idea! Lets work on that

I love reading this thread more and more! Just a quick note. When I tried the cutting legs, I have scalpel blades and they dont TOUCH IT. I HAD TO USE SHEARS! felt horrible

I thought of giving some lidocaine first but worried about its toxicity (like what they give you at the dentist)

I just toss the poor Choco in the tank and let my harley have at him! I like the vegeteraina idea! Lets work on that

Thanks Doctor ;)

LoL ... lidocaine ... I wonder ... lol ... do they make a reef safe version of this? :lol:

Well today is the day ... I will have my harlequins in my tank ... got to go and pick them up later this afternoon. :D

-David

Well the Harlequin's are here :D!!!!

They are soooo gorgeous ... already going after my Asterinas.

Also picked up a beautiful Copperband Butterflyfish ... not 100% Reef Safe ... but I will observe him carefully, and make sure he is not nipping at any corals ... doesn't seem to show any interest in the corals, but you never know what happens ... he is not eating prepared food yet ... but he is in perfect condition ... he DESTROYED my aptasia ... so he is eating ... picking at all the nooks and crannies ... hunting for food ... so that is a plus ... now to get him to eat mysis, then we are set. :D

After day 7 of the vodka dosing I will increase to .7-8ml per day.

-David

New Copperband Butterfly Fish

He is not eating prepared food yet ... but with a little bit of patience he should be eating it in no time. :D

post-36802-1231600243_thumb.jpg

Great looking Fish!

Can't wait to see the pair of Harleys

Thank you very much ... now if those Harleys would just come out of the back!!! :D

-David

Lure them out with promises for Chocolate Chips!

LoL ... yeah ... I will dangle it the starfish in front of their faces ... well I found one up in the rocks ... no doubt hunting for the Asterinas ... I have noticed far less of them today ... :lol:

Well the Copperband has started to peck at the Mysis shrimp and cyclops ... so that's a plus ... otherwise has spent the day picking at all the rocks and all the aptasia he can find. :D

-David

Vodka Dosing: Day 8 - Increased to 0.3 ml ... my monti's seem to be growing very quickly these days ... whether or not the vodka has something to do with it ... maybe ... maybe not. :lol:

My Bangaii's have officially paired off ... they never leave each other's sides.

Getting some new Dr. F&S Frags tomorrow.

Rusty Pink Millepora - Aquacultured CCGC

Super Red Samarensis - Aquacultured CCGC

Giant Green Polyp Duncan, Single Head - Aquacultured CCGC

Diver's DenBushy Acropora Coral Bali

-David

I'm waiting for the day when you start dosing whole fifths of vodka daily.

LoL ... I did ... last night ... but not in my tank ... :D

-David

Woo! nice fish!

I have always loved butterfly fish, you shall never have a mojano or apistasia problem with that baby in there :D

can't wait to see the skrimp :P

Archived