Pod Your Reef

Sapphire Nanoskimmer?

trojandds

Thanks Timanator. Did you mean the BC 29? Might be a tad too wide for the first compartment of the cadlights. Might have to consider the AC 24 model.

Yes the BC 29 is what I meant. Thats the model I am running, and it is absolutely sick. Sapphire basically engineered a large recirculating skimmer in to a smaller foot print. The attention to detail are awesome down to the muffler for the air intake tube.

Adjustable to the water injection.

047ee12c.jpg

Internal water level adjustment

cfa867fd.jpg

And the muffler

67ef0b25.jpg

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shot of the skimmate set to pull wet, for 3 days. This is done by closing the water level door about halfways.

5add2fff.jpg

Compared to the Previous version of the Sappire skimmer for 4 days.(This is for a NC12)

7-12-08062.jpg

looks like a good performing skimmer.

So far it's been the best I have seen from a skimmer in this foot print. Next few days, going to skim dry and see how it performs.

:D

So far it's been the best I have seen from a skimmer in this foot print. Next few days, going to skim dry and see how it performs.

Keep us posted! I have the previous version of the BC29R skimmer, but I think you're slowly convincing me to go with the new model. The last pic you provided is about what mine does now. ;)

Looks like it works well, hopefully the NC12 versions will be ready soon!

I'm interested to see how Sapphire can pull that off with such a limited amount of space. The old model might have to be brought back to production as it was very effective as it is.

Are you guys working on a skimmer for the nano cube 28G HQI? the skimmer chamber is 2.5in x 2.75in x 16in (16 inches is to the tip of the hood, its 11 inches from the bottem of the chamber to the constant water line)

If you could just make the NC 12 skimmer .25" less wide, (its 2.25"x3"x7";) then it would fit into the stock skimmer chamber. and ofcourse you could make it longer :)

Theres a lot of guys with 28G HQIs on here and ill be the first to order one from ya if you get it going.

Are you guys working on a skimmer for the nano cube 28G HQI? the skimmer chamber is 2.5in x 2.75in x 16in (16 inches is to the tip of the hood, its 11 inches from the bottem of the chamber to the constant water line)

If you could just make the NC 12 skimmer .25" less wide, (its 2.25"x3"x7";) then it would fit into the stock skimmer chamber. and ofcourse you could make it longer :)

Theres a lot of guys with 28G HQIs on here and ill be the first to order one from ya if you get it going.

I was in contact with the guys from Sapphire last week. they tell me they have a skimmer coming for the 28g HQI JBJ, SOON....like days.. at least thats what they relayed..

looking forward to it as i dont care at all for the stock skimmer on the 28G JBJ.. too loud and doesnt perform at peak.

crossing fingers and getting out check book.

as long as it goes in the skimmer chamber and not the middle chamber ill be happy.

Agreed S197...

are you using the stock skimmer now? i am and am not a fan.

the air pump is so loud, and i dont find that it works great.

hoping that sapphire finishes soon for the JBJ 28G. all reports on their stuff so far has been good.

I took out the stock, I change 3.5 gal of water a week and its been ok so far, but I only have 1 12head polyp in the tank 3 fish and a peppermint. Tank has been running great but im holding off on stocking the corals til I get a real solution to skimming. I threw the stock skimmer in the trash where it belongs B)

I took out the stock, I change 3.5 gal of water a week and its been ok so far, but I only have 1 12head polyp in the tank 3 fish and a peppermint. Tank has been running great but im holding off on stocking the corals til I get a real solution to skimming. I threw the stock skimmer in the trash where it belongs B)

Ok i just laughed out loud..

the stock JBJ skimmer worked fine for me at first but the tank is in my sons room and in order to get the stock skimmer to pull skimmate, the air pump needs to be turned ALL the way up on high and then its too loud and pulls too wet. a mess really..

i have not tried to go without one.. i think at 10 months in i probably could....

I'm waiting on the sapphire.. and if that takes too long. im considering the tunze.. i understand that one might work really well too.

Mercuryne

had a tunze, couldnt deal with loosing my middle chamber. It does more harm truthfully. I was getting higher nitrates just because of the way the tank was designed. Big difference after I switched back. My back (sump area) was filled with crap because the water was just flowing into it, instead of being filtered through the basket. After I switched back, Ive noticed a big difference in the sump. I love All in Ones, but I just wish it was a 30 gallon tank with 2 more gallons in the sump, so I can atleast put my hand back there.

Kyle,

I just bought a BC29R from Nanotuners and am looking forward to the box arriving soon!

One question: it seems in reading this thread that you do not recommend one of the standard upgrades that BC29 owners make: changing out the main tank pump to something more robust, like a Rio 6hf. If I read one of your posts correctly, you were advocating keeping flow through the back sections fairly low and adding additional heads in the tank for increased current.

Did I misread or misunderstand? I am a few mouse clicks away from buying a new pump... just wanted to be sure before I did it!

thanks for a tremendous product and for great support!

Joe

Kyle,

I just bought a BC29R from Nanotuners and am looking forward to the box arriving soon!

One question: it seems in reading this thread that you do not recommend one of the standard upgrades that BC29 owners make: changing out the main tank pump to something more robust, like a Rio 6hf. If I read one of your posts correctly, you were advocating keeping flow through the back sections fairly low and adding additional heads in the tank for increased current.

Did I misread or misunderstand? I am a few mouse clicks away from buying a new pump... just wanted to be sure before I did it!

thanks for a tremendous product and for great support!

Joe

Joe..... First of All, WELCOME to Nano-Reefs!! I think what they are saying is to keep the flow low on the input pump that is on the skimmer itself. I think you'll be O.K. if you want to change the stock pump with the Rio. I did, and it works really well!

Sapphire Aquatics

You are both correct. Slow flow means more contact time with the water and air. Our focus in the design was to remove as much dissolved organics and particulate matter as we can before returning the water to the display. The pump that comes with the aquarium is adequate for flow in the rear chambers. I would suggest improving the flow, random flow, of the display area. I say random flow because the goal is to keep the detritus in suspension to allow the skimmer to remove the particulate matter before it starts to decompose. I use a plastic turkey blaster once a week and blow the rocks clean in my aquariums. The particulates that settle out of the water on to the rocks becomes food for algae. A little maintenance goes a long way in this hobby.

WTB sapphire for Solana!

I am really not happy with the Tunze 9002. I modified it to fit in the first chamber with a hacksaw and a StevieT cup, but it still doesn't do a very good job IMO. I've been trying to tweak it for months but it seems to only run in two modes:

Mode 1:

Produces too much skimmate. Very watery. Slightly brown in color.

Mode 2:

Produces little no skimmate.

-Tre

Sapphire Aquatics

S197 - Sorry to disappoint but it is designed to fit in the center chamber. Using this skimmer in the center chamber will do a better job than the foam as it will remove particulate matter before it starts to decompose. The water washing over the skimmer will not affect it's performance due to the design. The skimmer utilizes four 1" Neodymium magnets to hold it firmly in place and due to the design it uses no foam, no baffles, nothing at all, and releases no microbubbles. The design is quite simple but puts our skimmer way out in front of the competition.

Tremont - I have the Solana/Cardiff skimmers ready to go! I will post a link to the online store once we update it later tonight.

S197 - Sorry to disappoint but it is designed to fit in the center chamber. Using this skimmer in the center chamber will do a better job than the foam as it will remove particulate matter before it starts to decompose. The water washing over the skimmer will not affect it's performance due to the design. The skimmer utilizes four 1" Neodymium magnets to hold it firmly in place and due to the design it uses no foam, no baffles, nothing at all, and releases no microbubbles. The design is quite simple but puts our skimmer way out in front of the competition.

Any way you can make the NC12 skimmer .25" thinner then 3" B) then it would fit in the skimmer chamber as well and you would be my best friend for life?

Tremont - I have the Solana/Cardiff skimmers ready to go! I will post a link to the online store once we update it later tonight.

if your skimmer for the 28g jbj is designed for the center chamber.. can we run the media box in the next one over? or would it negate the media box altogether?

darn....was sure hoping that your new one would go in the stock chamber where we have been running the stock skimmer?

can you guys clarify?

now im all freaked out.

Archived