Cultivated Reef

Sapphire Nanoskimmer?

trojandds

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have 2 of the old ones. They work pretty well.

for the old ones, how similar are they to the newer ones? with these skimmers they come with a pump already right? also which chamber did you put them into? thanks!

The new ones are WAY different.

1. The NC24 skimmer will be recirculating this time as opposed to venturi-driven.

2. The impeller is custom injection molded to create a huge number of small and uniform bulbbles inside the skimmer body to create more surface area for proteins to attach.

3. There will be a silencer on the skimmer.

4. It has a thumb screw on top of the unit to ajust the flow rate to fine tune the height of the foam coming into the collection cup as opposed to the old style that had an o-ring to raise and lower the cup.

5. Almost zero microbubble output.

6. It rocks the socks off the older one as far as skimmate is concerned.

Hope that helps.

The new ones are WAY different.

1. The NC24 skimmer will be recirculating this time as opposed to venturi-driven.

2. The impeller is custom injection molded to create a huge number of small and uniform bulbbles inside the skimmer body to create more surface area for proteins to attach.

3. There will be a silencer on the skimmer.

4. It has a thumb screw on top of the unit to ajust the flow rate to fine tune the height of the foam coming into the collection cup as opposed to the old style that had an o-ring to raise and lower the cup.

5. Almost zero microbubble output.

6. It rocks the socks off the older one as far as skimmate is concerned.

Hope that helps.

I'm really interested in this skimmer, so I can just put it any of the back chambers? or could i stick it in the tank itself? Reason I'm asking is my back chambers are kind of full, the 1st one has the stock pump, 2nd is the maxijet for my chiller, and the third is a maxijet for return....or is there anyway to put this skimmer with any of those pumps in the same chamber? thanks!

I'm really interested in this skimmer, so I can just put it any of the back chambers? or could i stick it in the tank itself? Reason I'm asking is my back chambers are kind of full, the 1st one has the stock pump, 2nd is the maxijet for my chiller, and the third is a maxijet for return....or is there anyway to put this skimmer with any of those pumps in the same chamber? thanks!

The skimmer really is designed to be placed in the center chamber. I do not think it would operate correctly full submerged in the main display portion. If it was my system, I'd just move your chiller pump into the same chamber as your stock pump, which is what I had done previously with my own NC24 system.

The skimmer really is designed to be placed in the center chamber. I do not think it would operate correctly full submerged in the main display portion. If it was my system, I'd just move your chiller pump into the same chamber as your stock pump, which is what I had done previously with my own NC24 system.

How long will we have to wait for a 12 gallon nanocube version?

Sapphire had said they would be rolling out the NC12/BC14 skimmer shortly after the BC29 and NC24 skimmers. The design is done, but ramping up the production will take a little more time. There's also unfortunately a small delay due to Hurricane Ike blowing over Houston where Sapphire is located.

On a side note - too bad about the Packers yesterday. I was routing against the Cowboys.

Sapphire had said they would be rolling out the NC12/BC14 skimmer shortly after the BC29 and NC24 skimmers. The design is done, but ramping up the production will take a little more time. There's also unfortunately a small delay due to Hurricane Ike blowing over Houston where Sapphire is located.

On a side note - too bad about the Packers yesterday. I was routing against the Cowboys.

*Sigh*

Can't win them all.....and we definitely didn't play to win last night so I honestly don't feel too bad.

I think I'll hold off on picking up a skimmer until the saphire skimmer comes out, I dont want to lose the ability to properly close my lid.

Thanks

Sapphire was expecting to be shipping within two week after the MACNA show this year (Sept. 5-7). Unfortunately about a week later a little storm called Hurricane Ike rolled over Houston and knocked out power and caused a bunch of other problems for them. There will be a short delay because of that, but once they're up and running there shouldn't be much of a delay since the designs were already essentially finalized and they now have all of their new machines up and running.

After reading about these, I'm thinking about getting one for my custom built tank... a few questions I have though. The chamber that I would be putting it in is 6"x6"x18" deep, but I only have a 4"x4" area to put it down into. Would I be able to get it in there without a problem? What is the total dimensions including the pump assembly and the collection cup? What is the dia of the collection cup? TIA!!

Sapphire Aquatics

Well, we finally got power back yesterday morning and things are moving forward again. You should see the first release of skimmers next week for all of you that have pre-ordered. Since Ike hit us and the power has been out I had some time to tweak a few things. The one thing that makes the biggest difference is the mesh wheel. I tried numerous different impellers, but the one that we are going with is the mesh wheel. It's made here in house and the base is injection molded here in Houston as well. It will also fit in the old skimmers and is a simple one minute replacement for the stock impeller. The pumps are dead silent and our hand made silencers keep the air intake silent as well. The pictures below are of the prototype skimmers, since we haven't had power for the last week and a half, running in the now defunct "Office tank". All of the livestock was transferred to the house and kept alive with a PVC airlift that I threw together. There are no DOC's in this tank so all it can skim is the silt that I stirred up.

post-22369-1222398673_thumb.jpg

post-22369-1222398684_thumb.jpg

post-22369-1222398691_thumb.jpg

post-22369-1222398697_thumb.jpg

That's awesome news Kyle. I know there will be lots of satisfied presale customers as well as new customers also. If you can shed any light on the NC12/BC14 skimmers I know people are curious about those also.

The one thing that makes the biggest difference is the mesh wheel. I tried numerous different impellers, but the one that we are going with is the mesh wheel. It's made here in house and the base is injection molded here in Houston as well. It will also fit in the old skimmers and is a simple one minute replacement for the stock impeller.

Glad to see you're back in action Kyle! I have the re-circulating BC29 model you made before your hiatus. Will we old Sapphire users be able to get one of these impellers? Let us know, Thanks

Sapphire Aquatics

Sinful - The new NC12/BC14 model will be quite different and based on the new larger models, miniature gate valve, mesh wheel, etc. Release dates are uncertain for the moment but I hope to have them ready in the next week or two. It's been a struggle to get things going again and the last few months have been anything but easy, but we are pressing forward and making great headway since the power has been restored here in Houston.

basser1 - The new impeller might not be a direct replacement for the MJ1200, but the new Sicce pump will replace the MJ1200 pump and the fittings will be almost the same so you will be able to upgrade to the new impeller but you might need to replace the recirc pump.

basser1 - The new impeller might not be a direct replacement for the MJ1200, but the new Sicce pump will replace the MJ1200 pump and the fittings will be almost the same so you will be able to upgrade to the new impeller but you might need to replace the recirc pump.

Kyle can you suggest a Sicce model ( I'm not familiar with this brand ), to use as a replacement?

Sapphire Aquatics

acrofish - Thank you. The new skimmer is designed to fit in the middle chamber only.

basser1 - We will have the Sicce pumps available on the website shortly. Still waiting for the injection molded impellers to arrive.

Archived