Cultivated Reef

Sapphire Nanoskimmer?

trojandds

Mine should arrive today! I can't wait. I've prolonged the water change this week to see how effective this thing is first hand LOL.

I hope to see it waiting for me at the door after work :)

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's in! Setup was pretty quick for my BC29

The only thing I would suggest is a diagram of how the entire thing looks assembled.I had to figure out how the gate valve went on. Mine was sitting lose inside the skimmer and there are no pictures or diagrams of what to do with it. I had to look at a few pics online to see how it went on.

The pumps were kind of self explanatory, but still, a diagram would be nice for those that don't quite get things.

I also assume too, which is not in the directions, that the PH's face chamber 1 and the spillover on the other side faces chamber 3?

My water level is 2" above the max line as stated in the directions, and I had to close the gate valve completely for the bubbles to get high enough to spill over.

It's just creating clear stuff at the moment, but I understand too it may take several days for it to "adjust" or "break in" to start skimming out the junk.

The build quality is excellent and it was packed pretty well too. Very nice looking skimmer.

It should help out with my overpopulated tank hopefully :)

If y'all need ANY help at all writing a good instruction sheet, let me know. I write easy to understand technical documentation for dumb computer users all day in a manner they can understand, and I would be more than happy to come up with something if you'd like :)

Hey Kyle,

Just checking in to see if there's been an update on the ETA for the AP24 skimmer?

Also, I'm curious if the media reactor will fit in the back chambers of a BC8?

Thanks much,

Wei

Sapphire Aquatics

basser1 - A large batch, 500 to be exact, of impellers are scheduled to be ready in two weeks. As soon as I receive them I will update the site with the retro kit for the previous model.

bayoupr - The new model does not have an adjustable cup. We are now using a gate valve to control the water height inside the skimmer body.

CorvetteJoe - Send me a PM and let's see what you can come up with. Also, the gate valve should be left all the way down for the first week. I have revised the instructions to reflect this.

CheeseHead - The impellers are going to come in with the others in two weeks. I am getting the bodies ready so when they arrive I can ship them out ASAP.

slowdog - After many delays, I know, I apologize, the skimmers are scheduled to ship out next week.

vanisher - There will not be a skimmer for the AP12. The design of the rear chambers only leaves 6 inches of room under the hood. Anything that small just isn't going to be effective.

basser1 - A large batch, 500 to be exact, of impellers are scheduled to be ready in two weeks. As soon as I receive them I will update the site with the retro kit for the previous model.

That sounds great Kyle. Thanks for the update! ;)

I posted a question earlier about the Solana... what chamber does it fit in? Do you know if it is quieter than the stock skimmer, which has a terrible hum?

Thanks... Ron

bayoupr - The new model does not have an adjustable cup. We are now using a gate valve to control the water height inside the skimmer body.

CorvetteJoe - Send me a PM and let's see what you can come up with. Also, the gate valve should be left all the way down for the first week. I have revised the instructions to reflect this.

CheeseHead - The impellers are going to come in with the others in two weeks. I am getting the bodies ready so when they arrive I can ship them out ASAP.

slowdog - After many delays, I know, I apologize, the skimmers are scheduled to ship out next week.

vanisher - There will not be a skimmer for the AP12. The design of the rear chambers only leaves 6 inches of room under the hood. Anything that small just isn't going to be effective.

Sapphire Aquatics

ronone10 - Our skimmer comes with a silencer to muffle the air being drawn in. We also use nylon tubing to reduce pump vibration and eliminate resonating sound.

Breezy - Yes, it is the same skimmer. Once the pre-orders are out these will be made available.

I assume the skimmer is made for the center chamber of the NC28. Will the water flowing into the center chamber from the display affect the skimmer performance since it would be dumping down on top of the skimmer?

Sapphire Aquatics

breezy - No, the skimmer will not be affected by water as it is a sealed cylinder all the way up to where the cup attaches to the body. The water will simply pass around the skimmer. Like the stock skimmer, the cup will need to be removed in order to open the hood. Nice thing is that you can see when the cup needs to be emptied.

Kyle can you run an nc24 on an ap24? What's the difference in the skimmers? I have an open top ap24 so that's why I asked, if not will wait for ap24.

Thanks for the info on the Solana. Does your skimmer go into the same chamber as the stock skimmer?

Thanks...

ronone10 - Our skimmer comes with a silencer to muffle the air being drawn in. We also use nylon tubing to reduce pump vibration and eliminate resonating sound.

Breezy - Yes, it is the same skimmer. Once the pre-orders are out these will be made available.

Sapphire Aquatics

Nick's Reef - The NC24 skimmer will not fit in the rear compartment. The Aquapod has very small, thin, chambers and needs a skimmer with a slim profile.

ronone10 - The skimmer goes in the stock skimmer location. No modifications needed.

How about AP12s that don't have a hood?

Nick's Reef - The NC24 skimmer will not fit in the rear compartment. The Aquapod has very small, thin, chambers and needs a skimmer with a slim profile.

ronone10 - The skimmer goes in the stock skimmer location. No modifications needed.

Nick,

Will the nano media reactor fit in the back chambers of the Bio Cube 8? Thanks for the update on the release of the AP24 skimmer next week.

Wei

what about an AP12 run opentop I.E sunpod is there a model that will fit ? I would think those that are more willing to spend money on a skimmer are running MH lighting as well

what about an AP12 run opentop I.E sunpod is there a model that will fit ? I would think those that are more willing to spend money on a skimmer are running MH lighting as well

That's what I just said :)

I have an AP 12 with a sunpod so the hood limitation doesn't apply to me.

Hey Kyle,

I have an older model of your skimmer for my bc29. Are you willing to give me some credit towards one of the newer model? I will send you the older one too. Let me know.

Hey Kyle,

I have an older model of your skimmer for my bc29. Are you willing to give me some credit towards one of the newer model? I will send you the older one too. Let me know.

What's wrong with your old model? I've got the previous model of the BC29 recirculating skimmer and I love it. It's doing a great job! If you have the previous model, like I do, Kyle is coming out with an upgrade kit in a couple of weeks! I know I'll be buying one! ;)

Actually Kyles' present skimmer is "version 3". I have both the original skimmer ( non-recirculating ), and the first re-circulating skimmer ( the previous one ) as well. The easiest way to tell them apart is the original skimmer has 1 pump, where the re-circulating models have 2 pumps. Kyle has talked about offering an improved impeller and pump to owners of the previous re-circulating skimmers. This will be offered as a kit. If you're not sure, you may want to pm Kyle for clarification. ;)

Archived