Pod Your Reef

Sapphire Nanoskimmer?

trojandds

Situation resolved. Let me know if it happens again gefilte fish.

Thanks very much for your help Kyle. Great product and even better customer service.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Situation resolved. Let me know if it happens again gefilte fish.

I'm having this problem too. Perhaps it will be much more useful if you post a solution so that all of us out here can refer to when we get a problem.

tmelhiser - I am starting small with two offerings, a 10 gallon 14"x16"x14" and a 22 gallon 24"x16"x14". I really like the idea of a 75 or 90 AIO tank so I will look into what it will cost and see if it makes sense. Hopefully these nano tanks will do well, I think they are very good looking and will be priced right for what you get.

First batch of skimmers will be going out next week.

Where are the pictures of these new AIO's? Still Waiting Kyle.

Yes, you will see the first release of the pico-skimmers this month. I have been working on a mesh impeller for the small pumps and they should be ready very soon.

A pico is sub 5 gallons. Which you know . Was this a typo ? Are these in the works? This would be absolutly amazing for us pico lovers. A skimmer that would fit in an ac 70 fuge mod !!! :bowdown:

I'm having this problem too. Perhaps it will be much more useful if you post a solution so that all of us out here can refer to when we get a problem.

Kyle suggested I trim the mesh that fits over the impeller. It was very slightly oversized and was possibly causing the impeller to hang up. I trimmed about 1/16" all the way around and so far so good.

Hi - first time poster, long time lurker. Hope everyone is doing well.

I received by BC29R today and I'm having some difficulties installing it. According to the included instructions, I'm suppose to removed the false floor from the middle chamber. The BC29R is now sitting directly on top of the tank. But the flow, flows right into the skimmer itself which fills up the collection cup is about 2-3 minutes. I put the floor back in, now the skimmer is sticking quite a bit above the rim, but my tank is topless so that's okay. The flow isn't flowing right into the BC29R now, but the cup still gets filled pretty quickly ~ 10 minutes. I've tried the gate valve both directions, doesn't help. Any advice? Thanks much!

I received by BC29R today and I'm having some difficulties installing it. According to the included instructions, I'm suppose to removed the false floor from the middle chamber. The BC29R is now sitting directly on top of the tank. But the flow, flows right into the skimmer itself which fills up the collection cup is about 2-3 minutes. I put the floor back in, now the skimmer is sticking quite a bit above the rim, but my tank is topless so that's okay. The flow isn't flowing right into the BC29R now, but the cup still gets filled pretty quickly ~ 10 minutes. I've tried the gate valve both directions, doesn't help. Any advice? Thanks much!

during the first 4 hours I had that problem, but not after that.

might your water level be a bit too high ?

if I over fill the back then I get a full cup, as soon as the water level goes down just a bit then it skims normal.

some things I have noted:

the bottom is messy with the seal / glue they use so the skimmer does not sit level.

I wonder if a small amount of sand in the center bottom or a smaller insert would help make the skimmer sit level?

also it's hard to see how far from the bottom the stock insert sits?

I wonder if I put it back in would the skimmer still be low enough to close the lid of the tank?

that would have it siting level.

my skim is still rather watery but has color, I need to try making some adjustments, to much flow or to high of a water level

Got mine today from a local Houston retailer. Will post some skimming comparisons in a few days.

Some pics.

Out of the box and assembled.

da199714.jpg

Compared to the previous version for the NC12

2d5ea190.jpg

Installed.

bde24dbf.jpg

Sapphire Aquatics

GenX - I think your feed pump is turned up too high. It needs to be on the lowest setting to start with, you can increase it in time, but it's not necessary.

Cheesehead - We are working on getting the NC12/BC14 skimmers ready.

SmittyCoco - AIO pics coming this week. It's no easy task to bond glass to PVC but we should have some ready in the next couple of days.

I had the same problem. Try turning the skimmer around so the pumps are near chamber 1. This way the skimmer will not fill with water from the "water fall" from chamber 1.

David

How's this working out so far? I thought about doing this, but wasn't sure if it was advisable. I'll wait for Sapphire to comment... Right now I still have it sitting on the false floor.

Figuerres, thanks for the tip. Performing WC today, will take note of my water levels.

I had the same problem. Try turning the skimmer around so the pumps are near chamber 1. This way the skimmer will not fill with water from the "water fall" from chamber 1.

David

Water level in the tank or back section should not affect this skimmer. It regulates it's own water level internally. But for it to function properly, the water level really needs to be below the bottom of the exit window.

David

Funny I have been thinking of the same thing... seems odd to have it facing into the waterfall ... none of the other skimmers I have used did that.

may try that tonight.

Okay, so I've flipped the skimmer around - pump facing chamber 1. Tweak the water level; it's approximately 4" above the max water line. So far it's working out well. I'm afraid to turn my filter off for feeding tonight, it'll throw everything out of wack again.

Funny I have been thinking of the same thing... seems odd to have it facing into the waterfall ... none of the other skimmers I have used did that.

may try that tonight.

Sapphire Aquatics

gefilte fish - Is the small feed pump on the low setting? Do you have your water level at the top of the viewing, min/max, window? I suspect that the feed pump is set too high as that is the only thing that could cause it to send micros back to the tank.

gefilte fish - Is the small feed pump on the low setting? Do you have your water level at the top of the viewing, min/max, window? I suspect that the feed pump is set too high as that is the only thing that could cause it to send micros back to the tank.

The water level is just below the opening between chamber 2 and 3. I didn't know the skimmer pump had a setting and will check for it tonight. Thanks.

Sapphire Aquatics

Oops, thought you had the BC29 skimmer. Since you have the NC24 skimmer I suspect the micros might be coming from the return pump elbow that is now exposed and no longer submerged. Check your fittings to ensure that they are tight, from the return pump back to the display. Sometimes we see bubbles form from the water spilling over the baffle but this subsides quickly as the baffle develops a coating.

Oops, thought you had the BC29 skimmer. Since you have the NC24 skimmer I suspect the micros might be coming from the return pump elbow that is now exposed and no longer submerged. Check your fittings to ensure that they are tight, from the return pump back to the display. Sometimes we see bubbles form from the water spilling over the baffle but this subsides quickly as the baffle develops a coating.

Right, will do this tonight. Thanks again.

Just curious if any of these skimmers would work in a cadlights 22, even though they seem to be made specifically for the "cubes"? What are the dimensions of the BC29 model? I'm currently using a tunze 9002.

Thanks

Thanks Timanator. Did you mean the BC 29? Might be a tad too wide for the first compartment of the cadlights. Might have to consider the AC 24 model.

The model I have for a BC 24 is about

Width including the pumps on the side - 8.5"

Height of bofy - 12"

Height over all - 16"

Timanator, if 8.5" is the total length, how about the width? Thanks.

The model I have for a BC 24 is about

Width including the pumps on the side - 8.5"

Height of bofy - 12"

Height over all - 16"

Archived