ReefCleaners.org

Sapphire Nanoskimmer?

trojandds

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question for Kyle... I have a skimmer pre-ordered so I'm definitely getting one, but if it has to be in the second chamber then I don't think I can get a Viper MH clamp on light, or can I? I mean it doesn't look like it will fit. If I could put the skimmer in the first chamber then everything would be alright. Do you know if it will work or not, or is the collection cup a tight fit? Thanks!

Any plans for a 12 gal. AP model? Or did I just miss reading that one was in the works?

At MACNA Kyle told me he was not planning to have an AP12 version this time around due to the very small chamber sizing not allowing for efficient enough of skimming. Who knows, maybe that will change at some point.

At MACNA Kyle told me he was not planning to have an AP12 version this time around due to the very small chamber sizing not allowing for efficient enough of skimming. Who knows, maybe that will change at some point.

Somehow that's what I figured. Those chambers are really really small. What a shame.

Sapphire Aquatics

davidncbrown - The skimmer will only fit in the center compartment, sorry. You will need to make a rigid bracket and mount it to the back of the stand so you can attach the light to the bracket. The cup and skimmer take up the entire center chamber.

ALL - I did not include instructions with the skimmers. We are making some revisions to the installation instructions and will post them on our website along with detailed pictures and video. The installation is very easy and should take no more than 3 or 4 minutes. I will post a link to the instructions as soon as they are uploaded to the site.

Thanx for the welcome...

yeah I ordered the BC29 4.36 light and the skimmer together back in March... March 17 seems like forever, hope to get mine really soon. I havent done anything to my tank just for waiting on my skimmer.

Thanx for the welcome...

yeah I ordered the BC29 4.36 light and the skimmer together back in March... March 17 seems like forever, hope to get mine really soon. I havent done anything to my tank just for waiting on my skimmer.

Hey guys. Looks like a quality product. Seems like everyone has the BC. Does this thing fit in an Aquapod24? I have the floss and balls in the first compartment then nothing, nothing, then my Rio 350 return and a mushroom. Cheers and give that fedex guy a hug when he shows up. :lol:

Hey guys. Looks like a quality product. Seems like everyone has the BC. Does this thing fit in an Aquapod24? I have the floss and balls in the first compartment then nothing, nothing, then my Rio 350 return and a mushroom. Cheers and give that fedex guy a hug when he shows up. :lol:

They're making an AP24 specific unit which should come out shortly after the BC29 is released next week. I'll let Kyle correct me if I'm off on the timeline, but that's how I understood it.

Yay got my email conformation that my skimmer shipped! Its been a long, long wait. It'll be totally worth it!

And Nick, its cool thanks for your reply. I'm actually gonna go with a 150W sunpod instead. The clamp-on's look neat but I don't think I can do it.

Question, the instructions on the sapphire website refer to "the water level indicator on the side of your aquarium" as still being a good marker. I have the Nano 24 g DX. Is there a water level indicator? I've never seen one so I've always just filled the chambers up to within an inch or two of the top of the false wall.

I just received my nanoskimmer for my 24g NC.

So far so good, it would be awesome if it came with instructions but the design is simple enough to just figure it out on your own. Here is my own personal impression of the nanoskimmer for the 24g NC.

+ Gives off very little noise, its perfect for the middle chamber. Pretty good build quality. Easy setup.

- The collection cup is a little loose for my taste, it works but id like for it to be a bit more snug like the Aqua C Remora...thats just my own personal preference. The price is a little steep in my opinion....then again nothing is cheap in this hobby.

A little OT here, but not too far...

On a NC 24DX, what's the best way to get power cords, etc. out? Do you just notch the back of the hood with a Dremel or something? I'm mechanically inept, so sometimes these things are less than obvious to me.

Just checking to see when Pre-Orders that were placed in September are scheduled to be filled?

Regards,

-travis

Travis,

You should have gotten an email from Nanotuners, or you can check your order history on their website to see what the status is. The status gets updated almost instantly when anything happens, and you can get your tracking number there too.

So far so good, it would be awesome if it came with instructions but the design is simple enough to just figure it out on your own. Here is my own personal impression of the nanoskimmer for the 24g NC.

+ Gives off very little noise, its perfect for the middle chamber. Pretty good build quality. Easy setup.

- The collection cup is a little loose for my taste, it works but id like for it to be a bit more snug like the Aqua C Remora...thats just my own personal preference. The price is a little steep in my opinion....then again nothing is cheap in this hobby.

post up some pictures =)

post up some pictures =)

post-39785-1225953976_thumb.jpg

you can see that its at a low enough level to easily clear the hood (if I had one that is).

It doesnt take up the entire middle chamber either, in fact I have my chiller return go into that middle chamber (I know..its kind of ghetto rigged)

How is it working so far?

The skimmer isn't cheap compared to the other nano skimmers out there, but it should hands down outperform anything else in this segment of the market. Also note that the skimmer is made from acrylic, which is a petroleum-based product equating to a higher cost. Also remember that these are all built here in the US as opposed to some factory overseas pumping skimmers out by the hundreds, which tends to mean a little higher cost as well. Again, the price should be worth it with these skimmers.

I like it a lot. It's extremely quiet in comparison to my remora. I would recommend the skimmer to fellow NC24 users if they don't mind the cost. Btw forgot to give nanocustoms a plus for the fast processing and delivery of the skimmer.

Anyone else having problems with it making too many bubbles? I have the proper water level and I have played around with the screw with no avail. I can't even put the collection cup on it without it filling up in a minute with water and overflowing. Any ideas?

Sapphire Aquatics

Certain additives will cause the surface tension of the water to increase. This makes the bubbles keep their shape longer than they normally would. When I do a water change my salt causes my skimmer to overflow for a day or so until the oxygen and corrosive nature of the saltwater break down whatever is causing the increase in surface tension. I usually just let the skimmer run over night and dump the water in the collection cup the next day so as not to reintroduce the contaminants to the aquarium. After that it calms down and returns to normal.

We are working on a FAQ page for the website to help everyone understand what is going on inside their skimmer and how some chemicals can have a major affect on the skimmers production. In the mean time feel free to contact us via the website if you are in need of assistance or have questions.

But the entire collection cup fills with water in less than a minute. I let it keep running but it hasn't made a difference. Its volcano-ing out of the tube into the collection cup at warp speed. :( I don't really put anything into my water but phyto and I have a chaeto scrubber in my sump already. I'm just confused...

Sapphire Aquatics

Is your water level at the correct height? The diagram below shows the water level at or below the small gap in the baffle that separates the center chamber from the return pump chamber. This is your new water level for the rear chambers. Having more water than this in the rear chambers will cause the skimmer to flood the collection cup.

post-22369-1226007752_thumb.jpg

But the entire collection cup fills with water in less than a minute. I let it keep running but it hasn't made a difference. Its volcano-ing out of the tube into the collection cup at warp speed. :( I don't really put anything into my water but phyto and I have a chaeto scrubber in my sump already. I'm just confused...

I hope this is not to basic but:

is the tube from the skimmer to the cup filling with bubbles or with water??

I have a skimmer on my 90 gallon tank that has a slightly over powered pump and if I do not adjust it right it will

fill the skimmer with to much water to fast and flood like you are descibing.

in most skimmers that tube should only have bubbles coming up, if it has more water than bubles then something

needs adjustment to drive less water or drive is slower.

it can also be the skimmer sitting to low / water level to high as posted by Sapphire.

It is at the proper level. I took the pump and opened it and replaced the impeller a couple of times. Every once in a while it makes this clipping noise like the impeller is hitting something. I've let it run for a while and it doesn't seem to be any better. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked perfectly for a couple of minutes, but then it just got a burst of flow and the same thing started happening. I don't know what's wrong with it...

Archived