Cultivated Reef

Sapphire Nanoskimmer?

trojandds

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on the pre-order list and wondering what reccomendations you would have for chambers 1 and 3.

Currently chamber 2 is filled with rubble live rock. I would like to turn one of the chambers into a fuge after the sapphire comes in. But I do not want to lose all the live rock filtration I currently have.

Thanks.

Travis

I am on the pre-order list and wondering what reccomendations you would have for chambers 1 and 3.

Currently chamber 2 is filled with rubble live rock. I would like to turn one of the chambers into a fuge after the sapphire comes in. But I do not want to lose all the live rock filtration I currently have.

Thanks.

Travis

I have the original bc29r and I love it, I am glad that sapphire is back in business. Sapphire should release an "upgrade" for its original customers where you package together a recirc pump, new impeller, sound muffeler, etc. . . .

I am looking forward to see where sapphire goes. . .

Sapphire Aquatics

tmelhiser - I would suggest moving your live rock rubble to the first chamber. This will keep water moving past the live rock and prevent detritus from settling on the rock. Ideally we would want random flow in the rear chambers to help keep the detritus in suspension, as opposed to the laminar flow we now have, but for now we all just have to siphon it out during water changes. As for the third, return chamber, we are working on a pico media reactor to run carbon or phosphate remover.

skimmerdude - Thank you, I am also excited to move this company in a whole new direction. I sent basser1 a PM explaining that there would be a retro-kit offered once the impellers arrive, I should have repeated that here. The kit will contain the necessary pvc fittings, the pump, the mesh impeller, the modified venturi/volute, and the hand made silencer.

tmelhiser - I would suggest moving your live rock rubble to the first chamber. This will keep water moving past the live rock and prevent detritus from settling on the rock. Ideally we would want random flow in the rear chambers to help keep the detritus in suspension, as opposed to the laminar flow we now have, but for now we all just have to siphon it out during water changes. As for the third, return chamber, we are working on a pico media reactor to run carbon or phosphate remover.

skimmerdude - Thank you, I am also excited to move this company in a whole new direction. I sent basser1 a PM explaining that there would be a retro-kit offered once the impellers arrive, I should have repeated that here. The kit will contain the necessary pvc fittings, the pump, the mesh impeller, the modified venturi/volute, and the hand made silencer.

I will definitely be purchasing one of retro-kits.

I think that you should design complete nano-tank systems, I bet they would pretty much top anything on the market at this point.

Do you have a new website?

Two things I wish someone would design, I am not quite that good at DIY to to it myself.

1) A quick and easy way to add a sump to the AIO tanks, overflow and sump and everything ready to run.

2) A nano-sized LED lighting setup

Good luck with everything you have going now!!!

Two things I wish someone would design, I am not quite that good at DIY to to it myself.

1) A quick and easy way to add a sump to the AIO tanks, overflow and sump and everything ready to run.

2) A nano-sized LED lighting setup

Good luck with everything you have going now!!!

We're working on LED's. Keep your eyes peeled.

I am mulling over the addition of both a fuge and the skimmer in the back chambers of my NC24 (I already have the old version of the sapphire NC24G).....question for all:

What are the pros/cons of placing the fuge in chamber 1 and the new sapphire NC24G skimmer in chamber 2 (which is the only chamber where it will fit from what I understand)? I think the reverse lighting benefit will still remain, but I am wondering if the little critters will get skimmed away as soon as they pass to chamber 2? Or this is not a real issue? Any thoughts?

Sapphire Aquatics

SPerry - The impellers will be available from us or nanotuners shortly.

acrofish - The small amount of microfauna that is removed by the skimmer will not reduce the effectiveness of the refugium.

skimmerdude - AIO sumps designed to fit inside the factory stands, and nano-overflow boxes, have already been designed and should be available in the coming weeks now that the CNC router is operational. Our glass tanks are also almost ready for production. They will have seamed and polished edges, PVC bottoms and false walls, rimless construction, and integrated recessed Koralia powerheads.

One other question, sorry for the constant stream of queries:

Is the old version skimmer "upgradeable" to the new version? I have a hard time imagining that but some questions such as replacing impellers and pumps seem to imply some form of upgrade path? Is this true?

SPerry - The impellers will be available from us or nanotuners shortly.

acrofish - The small amount of microfauna that is removed by the skimmer will not reduce the effectiveness of the refugium.

skimmerdude - AIO sumps designed to fit inside the factory stands, and nano-overflow boxes, have already been designed and should be available in the coming weeks now that the CNC router is operational. Our glass tanks are also almost ready for production. They will have seamed and polished edges, PVC bottoms and false walls, rimless construction, and integrated recessed Koralia powerheads.

Sheesh . . . . I just told my wife I was done spending $$ on my tank for a little while . . . I can't wait.

dumb question, but im assuming with the sapphire skimmer with the Nanocube, we dont need to use that optional surface skimmer anymore right? Also, is there a specific water level I will need to have in my back chamber then in order for the skimmer to work correctly?

dumb question, but im assuming with the sapphire skimmer with the Nanocube, we dont need to use that optional surface skimmer anymore right? Also, is there a specific water level I will need to have in my back chamber then in order for the skimmer to work correctly?

That's right, no need for the surface skimmer. I keep my water level a couple of inches above the maximum water level mark and it seems to work fine.

basser1:

I have the old version of the sapphire NC24 skimmer - should I remove the surface skimmer? I have kept it (not knowing any better) and has always had trouble with the water levels going up and down.

When you refer to the maximum water level mark what do you mean? Where can I find that?

Sapphire Aquatics

acrofish - The surface skimmer is needed for the skimmer to operate properly and keep the water level in the display up near the top. Basser1 has a Biocube and it does not require the use of a surface skimmer but the Nanocubes do. The water level in the rear chambers is established by the baffles and the only fluctuation in water level should be in the third, left to right, return chamber. The baffle between the middle and right chamber has a small gap in it about three inches down. You want to keep your water level at or slightly below this gap. This will keep the water level in the middle chamber at a constant level.

Nick's Reef - Pictures coming soon!

trojandds - You do need the surface skimmer, see above post.

Yes Kyle is right! Sorry about that, I didn't catch the "surface skimmer" thing. The Biocube has a Minimum and a Maximum water level indicator on the rear left side of the tank.

Kyle,

You talked about AIO tanks. What sizes are you thinking about making? While I really like my BC29, I would really like to have an AIO that is about 90g so I can keep some larger fish and have better lighting on it with things like a chiller, skimmer, and fuge all built into it out of site?

In the mean time, I'm anxiously awaiting the skimmer... any ETA on the first shipments destine to nanotuners?

Thanks,

-Travis

Sapphire Aquatics

tmelhiser - I am starting small with two offerings, a 10 gallon 14"x16"x14" and a 22 gallon 24"x16"x14". I really like the idea of a 75 or 90 AIO tank so I will look into what it will cost and see if it makes sense. Hopefully these nano tanks will do well, I think they are very good looking and will be priced right for what you get.

First batch of skimmers will be going out next week.

tmelhiser - I am starting small with two offerings, a 10 gallon 14"x16"x14" and a 22 gallon 24"x16"x14". I really like the idea of a 75 or 90 AIO tank so I will look into what it will cost and see if it makes sense. Hopefully these nano tanks will do well, I think they are very good looking and will be priced right for what you get.

First batch of skimmers will be going out next week.

Sapphire Guy -

When can we expect the first batch of NanoCube 12 skimmers? Will it be this month?

Sapphire Guy -

When can we expect the first batch of NanoCube 12 skimmers? Will it be this month?

with respect to the recovery time after the recent storm, ditto

Sapphire Aquatics

Yes, you will see the first release of the pico-skimmers this month. I have been working on a mesh impeller for the small pumps and they should be ready very soon.

Archived