ReefCleaners.org

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

Thanks TJ. I must admit, yours was also one of the tanks I saw way back when that inspired me on the 40B.

How did that Quiet One pump work out for you on the closed loop noise wise? I'm not convinced that the Mag12 is going to stay there for me. Still a little louder than I would like. I'm tempted to try one of the new MJ5500 utility pumps (just under 1400gph).

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks TJ. I must admit, yours was also one of the tanks I saw way back when that inspired me on the 40B.

How did that Quiet One pump work out for you on the closed loop noise wise? I'm not convinced that the Mag12 is going to stay there for me. Still a little louder than I would like. I'm tempted to try one of the new MJ5500 utility pumps (just under 1400gph).

My system was pretty quiet. I didn't have any issues with the pump noise from what I can remember - but it was a while ago so I am not positive. I assume that if it did make a racket I would remember it!

Interesting. I might try a QO6000, but the MJ5500 is high on my list. I'm trying to avoid going to something like an Iwaki that I know will be quiet, but will be really expensive, and twice as big as the pump I have.

Actually, one thing I do remember is that the 4000 was quieter then the 4000HH. Not by a lot, but it was quieter, smaller and not as heavy.

Right. I guess there is also a possibility that the 6000 will make more noise too. I'm looking for something around the same flow as the Ocean Runner 6500 I had in there.

Paleoreef103
Decided to give the NJ5500 a try. Pet Solutions had a really good deal on it.

Let us know if it's worth the money. I haven't heard much on the MJ utility line.

If the quality is anything like the MJs, it should be good. Bathtub test first though before it goes near the tank. We all know what happened last time :angry:

Got the NJ5500 in today. It's built with the same quality and attention to detail as a typical MJ. I wanted to share with you some pictures, as I think this pump is going to fit the bill quite nicely.

DSC_0694.jpg

Front shot with the grill on for submersible use.

DSC_0695.jpg

Grill off. Look at the size of the volute on this thing! It's made to move some water. Notice anything lurking inside that could be interesting? We will get to that in a second. ;)

DSC_0696.jpg

It is conveniently configurable for side exit. Can't do that with a Mag.

DSC_0697.jpg

Ceramic bearings front and back. Thats a nice touch.

DSC_0698.jpg

Check the impeller though. Not your typical paddle wheel setup that you see on most pumps like this. This is big boy pump territory. No more rattling impeller. And this thing will push a lot of water at high head. It's rated for 13ft max and 1380gph. Get this; at 75W!!!! Mag12 is 110W for 180gph less.

Did a quick run in the tub, and it is already far quieter than the Mag12 and the Ocean Runner 6500. Need some fittings and more tube to run the pump out of water tomorrow.

Light will be worked on this weekend. I have tomorrow off, so I hope to get a lot accomplished.

Once it's got some coraline alge on it, you won't see it. I could even get some corals to grow on them if I really wanted to hide them.

On to the pump...

IT'S QUIET! IT'S ACTUALLY QUIET!!! :haha::haha:

Really nice pump overall. Highly recommended.

It's also the same as more expensive pumps like Iwaki, Blueline, Little Giant, etc. Thats what I got excited about. Let me tell you, it has made for a considerable reduction in overall noise in my room. Listening to the Mag12 all by itself didn't seem so bad, but when you realize that you could hear it over 5 aquarium setups and my computer, made it worse. The NJ5500 is really that quiet. I'm very happy with it. It also used about 40W less energy, so thats good too :)

Light will be worked on this weekend. I have tomorrow off, so I hope to get a lot accomplished.

Weekends over, got your light done yet?

Really? All the ones I have seen have all been paddle wheel impellers. I'll have to look further into that.

Got your heatsink cut yet?

Hopefully gonna cut it on Thursday. It's gonna be 4-8" sections that will be bolted together for an overall length of 32". My final design has it completely semetrical, so I only need to do cnc cutter programming on two sections. I just need to run each program 2 times. I still need to finish the toolpaths today and tommorow, but can finally do that at home now, thanks to my interweb ingenuity. :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
shoggoth43

I think the other MJ pumps all have the paddlewheel impellers, at least in the instructions.

How has this pump been holding up? Is it actually silent or is it a case of the ambient noise around it making it seem silent? I'm looking into a new setup and this looks like it might be a decent option. It certainly looks like a solid design.

-

S

Really? All the ones I have seen have all been paddle wheel impellers. I'll have to look further into that.

All the smaller NJs, and all the MJs are paddle wheel. The NJ4500 and NJ5500 have the better impeller.

I still love the pump. I was feeding all my tanks the other day and had all the pumps shut off, except the closed loop as I don't really have anything in the display yet (no permanent lighting). Still dead nuts silent. I hear a little vibration, but it's no more than any other small power head would produce.

I got my frag racks built and painted last week, and have all the frags out of the BC14 in there. It's shocking to see just how much I managed to cram into that little tank. It looks bare now, but so much brighter. I'll get pictures later.

shoggoth43

Excellent to know on the pump! They're definitely on my short list now.

-

S

All the smaller NJs, and all the MJs are paddle wheel. The NJ4500 and NJ5500 have the better impeller.

I still love the pump. I was feeding all my tanks the other day and had all the pumps shut off, except the closed loop as I don't really have anything in the display yet (no permanent lighting). Still dead nuts silent. I hear a little vibration, but it's no more than any other small power head would produce.

I got my frag racks built and painted last week, and have all the frags out of the BC14 in there. It's shocking to see just how much I managed to cram into that little tank. It looks bare now, but so much brighter. I'll get pictures later.

So I just spent most of my free time today reading the 17 pages that is the history of your beautiful tank. Im somewhat new to site but am loving it so far. Its full of great information. I read the first part of LED lighting guide (even tho most of it doesnt make any sense to me because I know nothing of electronics or wiring) and plan on reading the other parts as well. Your tank looks amazing. I love that you insist that its not unique because you were inspired by others. Could you give me a little more info on what a closed loop system is. Im not familiar with it or its benefits. All this reading makes me want to start DIY projects on my own tank. Its not much so far. I have an 150w MH Oddysea that I need to upgrade to a pheonix bulb. Ill be upgrading from a 20L to a 50 next week if I can scrape the money together. Any ways its been a pleasure reading so far and I'll be sure to continue checking on your progress. Im especially interesting in the LED unit your going to make for it. Good Luck!!

P.S. try and be careful with the glass.

Archived