Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

Thanks. I'm done with breaking glass for a while :lol:

A closed loop is just another option for water flow. Many of us use them to remove power heads from the tank which can be unsightly. There are some pros and cons to it though. The display does look a lot cleaner, and with devices like the SCWD and Oceans Motions 4-way devices, you can get some very interesting randomized flow characteristics. It can use a lot more power than power heads though, depending on the setup, and it not as flexible in terms of placement and upgradeability. Once it's in, it's in for good and it's very difficult to change, with the exception of the pump. You do have to plan ahead for something like this. Doing an over the top closed loop is an option (doesn't get drilled into the tank) and gives a little flexibility, but looks ugly if you don't have a hood. The newer trend is using devices like the Vortech MP20 and MP40 pumps. Lots of gentle flow with lots of programming options. In some ways I wish I went that way, but I like the way the plumbing is not obvious so far. I'm not sure I could deal with a pump on the side glass.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

Just read through - amazing build man. If you get a chance, I'd love an updated shot of the whole setup - I'm modeling out my stand after yours a bit. Thanks!

Thanks.

I've been meaning to snap a few pictures. I'll try and get some up tonight.

Hey evil, can i ask where you found that power center with individually switched outlets? That is perfect! I'm doing a 40b build and your thread is my inspiration!

I got it at a local DJ supply shop, but you can find it online pretty easily. It an American DJ PC-100A. Goes for about $30-$35

Where's the new pics! :P

^^This

Got your light done yet???? :P My teacher screwed me over on my heatsink. I showed up when we planned to cut it and he was a no-show. I'm gonna have to shell out $80 for one from heatsinksusa. And drill and tap it by hand. :rant:

shahrezsyed

NEED PICS OF YOUR FINAL SETUP............................ :haha:

WHICH MEANS,FINAL PLUMBING,FRAGS,.....ESPECIALLY THE FRAGS...

Ok, new pitchers! Don't have any of the plumbing, because it's the same as the other pictures. I also didn't take a new FTS of the display because it hasn't changed much save for the two frags I put in there. Havent' done much with it as the lighting is only temporary.

DSC_0729.jpg

Favia and some mushrooms

DSC_0730.jpg

Ity bity yumas

DSC_0727.jpg

Frag tank FTS. I can't believe 90% of this came out of my BC14 :o

DSC_0733.jpg

Rainbow monti growing nicely along with a pink birdsnest.

DSC_0734.jpg

AOIs/African Blues. These are a pain in the ass, and I don't think they are going to last. Secret so far feems to be lots of light and flow. Treat them like sps.

DSC_0748.jpg

Duncans! Been waiting a long time to get some of these. Growing fast too!

DSC_0747.jpg

A full colony of RPEs that I picked up today. There are two Hawaiian Ding Dnag PEs lurking in there, which is mainly why I bought the colony. I can easily make the money back selling RPE frags.

DSC_0746.jpg

Some potential surprises on this rock.

DSC_0744.jpg

Lunars, Rainbows, and Gold Dusts.

DSC_0742.jpg

Some neat palys I got as a floater freebie. Looked like crap under the T5s, but look pretty good now.

DSC_0740.jpg

Nice little colony of PDs going here.

DSC_0739.jpg

These are much brighter red than is shown in the picture.

DSC_0736.jpg

Everlasting Gobstoppers. These have been growing fast. Mini colony of about 12-13 polyps now. These are going for upwards of $50 a polyp in my area!.

DSC_0735.jpg

Hiding, the one that everyone wants... Midas Gold. :P

Everything has been doing wonderfully so far. I couldn't be happier with the whole setup. I'm glad I did the extra planning to make this exactly what I wanted, and get the results I was after. Now I just have to start cramming it full of corals :)

Nice progress. That rainbow monti frag is so ready to grow onto another larger sized rock.

Tell me about it. Most of that growth down the frag plug has been since I put it in the frag tank a few weeks ago, so I'm impressed. Time for a trip to Lowes for some frag plugs.

dr-evil.JPG

Should be interesting to see what happens once I start dosing. Got my BRS two-part kit last week.

Started life as two pale translucent heads. Has already popped out two new heads and colored up beautifully. My buddy has a purple one that I'm going to have to convince him to frag :D

I'll have to have you come over and see it in person once I get your Actinics ready.

Started life as two pale translucent heads. Has already popped out two new heads and colored up beautifully. My buddy has a purple one that I'm going to have to convince him to frag :D

I'll have to have you come over and see it in person once I get your Actinics ready.

I am so there whenever you say!!!!

Did you pick that up at a LFS or from another reefer?

I am so there whenever you say!!!!

Did you pick that up at a LFS or from another reefer?

Kees. I walked in just after they unpacked it. SOLD! Did the same thing yesterday with that RPE colony. I like the guys at Kees. They have been very tollerant and excited about my LED shenanigans, as I use their tanks for additional testing.

corallineadam
Tell me about it. Most of that growth down the frag plug has been since I put it in the frag tank a few weeks ago, so I'm impressed. Time for a trip to Lowes for some frag plugs.

what kind of frag plugs do you get at lowes?

Archived