Coral Vue Hydros

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So far so good. I don't have a ton in there, but the few that are in there are reacting pretty well. I added some sps frags the other day, as well as two new maxi minis! I'll get some pictures up soon.

Experimenting with some lighting options. Tell me what you think.

DSC_03120001.jpg

A little more detail on the track light setup. The track, 4 heads, and the power cord ran me about $75 at Lowes.

The pictures as usual don't do it justice. It's definitely a much more dramatic effect than any other light source. I'll be experimenting some more with height, placement, colors, etc...

I think it's pretty cool. I went to lowes to see what you got in person, and while looking around for something similar (20 inch range for myself) I was unable to find PAR38 tracks. Do they call them something else or are they called PAR38 fixtures?

They aren't specifically PAR38 fixtures. They are just standard track lighting parts. The heads are designed to take anything from PAR16 on up. The track is just regular old track. At my Lowes it's all piled in the same area.

Track

Power cord

Track head

• 2 weeks later...

In a day or two. I'm actually going to mount the track on the ceiling. It's only a few inches higher than it is already and it will get rid of the pvc frame. I have another 4ft track sitting here and I'm thinking of putting both up with a few inches between them so I can stagger the lamps a little.

Warehouse41Ant

Just read through this whole thread. Amazing build, I'm really impressed. Loving those lights on the track. I'm sure the pics don't do it justice. I'm going to have to look into these when I get my pico setup. I'll be building a 5.5g AIO. I was thinking two of them should do the trick? Also-are you selling these personally or are they located elsewhere? I saw a post about maybe being at nanotuners?

Anyway, amazing build. I want to eventually upgrade my 20L to a 40B and I know I'll want a frag tank someday. I just may have to use this idea/design, although I'm too simplistic to go for the CL. A couple MP20's should do the trick. ;)

Edit: appears as though you're going to stick with the track lighting and nix the full build you were planning?

I'm sticking with the PAR38s for the time being. They are working out well for me, and it's plenty of light and a much more dramatic lighting effect.

These lamps have been for sale now for a few months on the Nanotuners site.

Deleted User 6

Evil, do you have any growth shots with the new PAR bulbs? I'd like to see how your corals are faring under them.

Also, get an ATO ya bum!

Warehouse41Ant
I'm sticking with the PAR38s for the time being. They are working out well for me, and it's plenty of light and a much more dramatic lighting effect.

These lamps have been for sale now for a few months on the Nanotuners site.

They do create an awesome effect (probably more dramatic than the pictures show).

I'll have to check nanotuners. Haven't been to their site in awhile and wasn't really looking for these last time I was there.

Evil, do you have any growth shots with the new PAR bulbs? I'd like to see how your corals are faring under them.

Also, get an ATO ya bum!

I was adding water TO the ATO. I'm not crazy. This tank goes through 5 gallons in 3 or 4 days.

I'll have to see what pictures I can find. maybe I'll take some fresh shots tonight. You can certainly see on some of the sps where it has encrusted over the glue already. My growth isn't what it could be because I'm not dosing yet. Might get the hardware set up this weekend. I have everything already. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get some new pics up man :]]

I'm still gauging the par 38 and deciding wether i'll be going with 2 12k or 2 20k, can you take pics of just the 20ks running an then take some of just the 12k's running for me?

Ok, picture time :)

DSC_06230003.jpg

New FTS

DSC_06240002.jpg

Tracks are now mounted on the ceiling and I got rid of the pvc a-frame. Looks so much better. I added a second track while I was up there so I can add a little more variety if need be. I did add a fifth lamp. Tried an all blue for giggles. Does it's job nicely ;)

DSC_06250001.jpg

Side shot of the tank and fixture.

New critters in the tank...

DSC_06220004.jpg

Two of the three maxi mini nems. Love these guys.

DSC_06210005.jpg

Third one. Poor angle though.

DSC_06190007.jpg

New hammer

DSC_06180008.jpg

GSP doing fine as always.

DSC_06170009.jpg

War coral is doing nicely. Feeders are out every night. It's formed a number of new polyps over the last few weeks.

DSC_06160010.jpg

Favia is also doing very well.

DSC_06150011.jpg

Chalice

DSC_06140012.jpg

Blue stag with green polyps. Nice looking coral. This was added a few days ago.

DSC_06130013.jpg

Strawberry patch monti. Good amount of growth here, and keeping it's color nicely.

DSC_06120014.jpg

Pink birdsnest. Just salvaged this frag and put it in here a few days ago.

DSC_06110015.jpg

Pink lemonade. Encrusting nicely and budding a new branch.

DSC_06100016.jpg

Frogspawn

DSC_06090017.jpg

Blue rics peeking from behind a rock. They seem to be very happy.

DSC_06080018.jpg

Raptors rainbows. Added this frag about two weeks ago and it's doing nicely.

DSC_06060020.jpg

Yumas are moving down to uncover new babies. First time the purple ones have done that since I got them over a year ago.

DSC_06050021.jpg

Orange cap #1

DSC_06030023.jpg

Orange cap #2. This was being overshadowed by a very fast growing green cap, and it's starting to get it's color back.

DSC_06040022.jpg

Green acro. Just added.

DSC_06010025.jpg

Pink chalice.

DSC_06000026.jpg

Neon green candy canes.

DSC_05990027.jpg

Metallic red zoas.

DSC_05980028.jpg

Purple bonsai. It's starting to darken up now that I moved it down the rockwork.

DSC_05970029.jpg

Green galaxia tucked away in the corner. It gets a nice burst of flow when the Oceans Motions turns on the right nozzle that it seems to like.

So there you have it. New goodies, and some healthy older ones. Not bad for 81W of light ;)

Archived