Pod Your Reef

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to take some at lunch, but the water is a little too cloudy still. I can see the rockwork, but as soon as you add the flash in you can't see squat. Without the lighting overhead, you can't see much right now. Once the water is fully topped off and the filtration system is running, it will clear up pretty quick.

The closed loop pump is still kinda noisey. I have noticed that it makes a lot less noise to almost silence when I put backpressure on the pump. Not sure what that means yet. I'm going to call Aquamedic about it and see if they have suggestions.

Well, I decided that I needed a light over the display, no matter what it was. Ended up grabbing something I have been working on :ninja:

DSC_0595-1.jpg

Sneak peek at what I'm working on

DSC_0602-1.jpg

It's not a glorified moonlight, but something that will work nicely with the latest rash of uber small picos.

I know. I'm such a tease. :P

Tank is completely full now btw. :)

NanoReefNovice
The closed loop pump is still kinda noisey. I have noticed that it makes a lot less noise to almost silence when I put backpressure on the pump. Not sure what that means yet. I'm going to call Aquamedic about it and see if they have suggestions.

I know from my work (brewery) centrifugal pumps always benefit from some back pressure, it decreases cavitation rates. Not sure if this helps or applies on small pumps? :huh:

Aquamedic says that it shouldn't need back pressure to make it quiet, but it sure helps. I just don't want to kill the flow just to make it quiet. Cavitation was one thing I had thought of, but I have no restriction in the intake of the pump, and no bubbles coming from any of the outlets that would suggest it.

DSC_0595-1.jpg

Wow, I almost don't want any more light over it. It looks like a slice out of the ocean right now.

What am I saying, get to work on that LED unit.

what king of case are you gonna put your light in? if you could source a cool fixture like the outer orbit from current, so it has pretty curved edges. haha

:ninja:

i already thought of a dozen applications for that light! i'll send you a PM if interested! could be lots of money!

Paleoreef103

Hey Evil? Does that little spotlight give you shimmer over T5s? I really like the promise of T5s (just like I like the promise of LEDs, though being a poor graduate student a full fixture is out of my price range for now), but I love the shimmer of my halide and don't want to give up the shimmer when I eventually upgrade. You think two or three of those spot lights would give me the shimmer I require?

It's possible. I don't have a T5 system to compare it to, but with a concentrated beam like this, it should show up pretty well.

Archived