Coral Vue Hydros

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

Just wanted to throw a suggestion out there, it's an idea I had for my own upgrade build that I'm working on.

In the spot where you have the water from the main fuge compartment overflowing into the area for the return pump, you have a piece of eggcrate for the water to flow through.

I was gonna do something similar, but make a little box out of eggcrate just large enough to slide a filter pad into.

I personally want to use a Poly-Filter, but you could use just a plain ol filter or chemi-pure or whatever.

It would surface skim the water and filter stuff out at the same time.

Everything's looking cool though, I'm impressed.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your plumbing looks like mine did when I first set up my 40g, what a PITA!!! I'm not using a CL anymore (mp40w instead), and that simplified things quite a bit.

Just wanted to throw a suggestion out there, it's an idea I had for my own upgrade build that I'm working on.

In the spot where you have the water from the main fuge compartment overflowing into the area for the return pump, you have a piece of eggcrate for the water to flow through.

I was gonna do something similar, but make a little box out of eggcrate just large enough to slide a filter pad into.

I personally want to use a Poly-Filter, but you could use just a plain ol filter or chemi-pure or whatever.

That's sort of what I did in my sump, works great! I added the filter floss right before the return chamber though, to keep the little chuncks of chaeto out of my return pump and plumbing.

DSC01681.jpg

Here's another pic to show how it works a little better. The retun chamber is on the right, and the filter floss sits on top of the egg crate.

DSC01280.jpg

Oops, I lied. The second pic isn't mine, it's a sump I built for a friend of mine. Here's mine, same principle.

DSC00678.jpg

Glenn, how did you hold the eggcrate in place, just silicone or what?

Don't laugh, but I used super glue. It bonds the plastics really well. I did run a bead of silicone too, just to be safe. But I seriously doubt that the skicone was even necessary.

Thanks Weetie. Thats a really good idea. I'll tackle that one tonight while I'm sitting waiting for the fitting to show up. I still can't get a hold of Aqua Medic, but they have only been open for 13 minutes so far :lol:

Part is on order, and I hope they ship out today. Tech support and wharehousing are two different facilities, so who knows how long it will take for the order to get pulled and shipped.

I did pick up another goodie at lunch though. Picked up an American DJ 8 channel power center. This will make switching everything much easier. Can't beat it for the price. I paid $37 with tax locally.

Dude your tank still is blowing my mind. I love the progress this is on my daily list to check. Evil can't wait to see that led fixture. Would you include your part list when you do the diy?

Thanks for all your help. Your my hero by the way

:lol: Thanks.

I will be doing a blow by blow once the fixture is complete. If the tank is up and running this weekend, the fixture will be started immediately after.

Thank you. Six months have given me a lot of time to plan things out the way I wanted. Fortunately, I didn't compromize on anything from the start, and the results are turning out nicely I think.

The fitting I need should be here later this afternoon. If I can get the tank leak tested today, sand and rock will be going in Sunday. My LFS just got in a shipment of some very nice looking rock that looks like a combo of Fiji and Tonga. Branchy like Tonga, but denser structures. Whats great is that these large pieces are pretty light, and super porus.

Ok. Leak test round two is underway. Aquamedic got me the fitting today ($2 part, $19 shipping) and it's in and not leaking, so far. No other major catastrophies so far.

40B is full and no leaks. 30B is filling through the overflow now.

Al, my setup will be equivalent to a 150W MH with a good reflector.

I CAN HAZ WATUR??

DSC_05880002.jpg

DSC_05870001.jpg

Everything is working. Closed loop pump still has some air in it and is making some noise, but it's pushing a lot of water, and the Super Squirt is doing it's job. Korallia wavemaker is up and running too.

Got some tweaking to do, but that can be done once saltwater has been added. I have bubbles output to the frag tank, which isn't surprizing with the durso feeding it. I'll have to see what can be done about that.

hey my friend!!! great job dude!!! been waiting for a while to see this one take off!!! glad to hear you took your time in the planning process...since the build is coming out awesome, i would say it payd off!!! cant wait to see more excellence outta this one!!!

:D

I can only hope to get the layout in the tank will be as good as the layout outside the tank. I have lots of goodies waiting to go in it.

el_vulture619

glad to see water, and that pluming job.. :huh: no wonder you forgot everything at the store! (list)

Lets see the LED light now!! Get to work boy! :owned: Thats what I am waiting for!

Are you on michigan reefers?

Archived